PDA

View Full Version : My DD's school has been evacuated

Tinkerbell
26-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Because they have found an unexploded bomb in the school grounds :eek3:

It was found in their 'discovery' area where Lizzie and her friends were playing this morning. 2 of her friends found it outside the tent area that Lizzie was playing in. I am so glad they studied WW1 & 2 last term so they know not to touch it :eek3:
The police were called and they evacuated the school and were waiting for bomb disposal to get there.

ukwdwnut
26-05-2010, 12:46 PM
omg bet that had you worried when you found out they were playing next to it

Tinkerbell
26-05-2010, 12:49 PM
It's a good job I'm not prone to fainting!
Lizzie told me she came crawling out of the tent and it was right in front of her.
Fastest I've ever made it to the school gates :yes:

foreverducky
26-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Oh my gosh! I hope everyone remains safe!

Tinkfan
26-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I can't believe it. do they have any info yet?

Tinkerbell
26-05-2010, 01:24 PM
We've not heard anything more yet. I guess it depends on how quickly bomb disposal can get here.

Beccaberry
26-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Oh my goodness!!! How terrifying! Please keep us updated!

:hug2: to you Tinkerbell

Isafari
26-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Scarey!
We had one washed up on our beach at the weekend too.

Tinkerbell
26-05-2010, 06:37 PM
It is with massive relief that I can finally post that it wasn't a bomb :redbounce:

This is the message posted by the Head
"Well we have had a bit of a day. We were digging in the meadow and found a metal object. We moved all the children out of the area at that point. I then phoned the police to get advice. They came out had a look and they were worried. A senior officer then came to have a look and was concerned so the RAF Bomb Squad was called. When they had a look they also were concerned and decided to dig a trench and x-ray the area it was at this point we found out it was a fence post. Thank you all for picking up your children so quickly and supporting us. I am sure you will agree, it is better to be safe than sorry and the professionals who deal with this everyday were worried up until they x-rayed the area.
From the top it does look like a WW2 bomb - the RAF guys had a photo of one and I can see why they were concerned.
The RAF Guy was 90% sure it was a bomb. The dug a trench and only when they did the x-ray were they happy. Never a dull moment

and in the local newspaper

Cambridge News (http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/School-evacuated-after-bomb-suspected.htm)

It was vey scary at the time and I am glad the school took the action they did. I'd rather be safe than sorry :yes:

kazzaqld
26-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Pretty scary!!

Glad all is ok!

:hug2:

Deafjeff
26-05-2010, 08:28 PM
It is with massive relief that I can finally post that it wasn't a bomb :redbounce:

This is the message posted by the Head
"Well we have had a bit of a day. We were digging in the meadow and found a metal object. We moved all the children out of the area at that point. I then phoned the police to get advice. They came out had a look and they were worried. A senior officer then came to have a look and was concerned so the RAF Bomb Squad was called. When they had a look they also were concerned and decided to dig a trench and x-ray the area it was at this point we found out it was a fence post. Thank you all for picking up your children so quickly and supporting us. I am sure you will agree, it is better to be safe than sorry and the professionals who deal with this everyday were worried up until they x-rayed the area.
From the top it does look like a WW2 bomb - the RAF guys had a photo of one and I can see why they were concerned.
The RAF Guy was 90% sure it was a bomb. The dug a trench and only when they did the x-ray were they happy. Never a dull moment

and in the local newspaper

Cambridge News (http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/School-evacuated-after-bomb-suspected.htm)

It was vey scary at the time and I am glad the school took the action they did. I'd rather be safe than sorry :yes:

Wow mega phew!!!

Beccaberry
27-05-2010, 01:44 AM
EXCELLENT NEWS!

Tink
27-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Sister Tinkerbell I cannot tell you how relieved I am for you. :hug2: I can't imagine how terrified your Lizzie and you must have been. :( :hug2:

Tinkfan
27-05-2010, 12:55 PM
What a relief! All's well !!!:yes:

ukwdwnut
27-05-2010, 01:07 PM
phew!!! what a relief for you nicki

Rosie0610
27-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow! Double wow!!
I'm glad it all worked out in the end!

Hopefully you enjoyed the rest of the day :)

mumof2
27-05-2010, 03:39 PM
wow, phew and hugs! :hug2:

mainecoon lover
27-05-2010, 03:55 PM
What a worry for you all. Pleased to hear it was not a bomb and everyone is safe.