Well isn't this just gorgeous :)

My first impression is just wow.....

Off to play in the app store

Toldja! :taunt:

I feel like a proud papa! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... where's my cigar?)

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Hmmm there is a lot of dropout with the internet at the moment, wonder why that might be

catrancher
27-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Dropout how? What's it actually doing. Are you in Safari, Mail, App Store, iBooks? Or is it all of them. How far are you from your access point? How many bars are showing in the wireless indicator in the upper left corner. Are you holding your mouth just right in the prescribed position?

Do you have any stray sun spots anywhere in the house? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... just kidding about the sun spots! :D)

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Well for about 10 minutes it was struggling to connect to the internet in the app store and here - all is fine now - its healed itself in true apple form :D

iBooks is just wonderful - glad I bought Lisa one - have only just got it back off her :D

catrancher
27-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Well for about 10 minutes it was struggling to connect to the internet in the app store and here - all is fine now - its healed itself in true apple form :D

So glad both it and you are happy again! :D

iBooks is just wonderful - glad I bought Lisa one - have only just got it back off her :D

Innit great! :yes:

Keep in mind you can find loads of free eBooks out there on the Internet. Perhaps one of the best resources for them is here (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page). Of course, there's others too. Like here (http://www.epubbooks.com/). Or, just do a Google search for "free epub ebooks". You'll come up with enough reading to last a lifetime!

Tom (:macwave:... loves iBooks!)

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Can you read those epub books on iBooks then?

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 02:01 PM
had to forcibly. Pull Lisa away from angry birds HD :lol:

catrancher
27-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Can you read those epub books on iBooks then?

Absolutely! :yes:

On your Mac, go get one of the free eBooks you want. For instance, here's a link to an ePub of H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" (http://www.epubbooks.com/book/96/wells-war-of-the-worlds.epub). It's from one of those sites I mentioned earlier. Now take the downloaded file and drag it over your iTunes icon in the Dock. This will launch iTunes and import the book into your iTunes library. Now just sync your iPad. Bingo, you've got "War of the Worlds" on your iPad in your iBooks library.

Tom (:macwave:... what's better than free books?)

catrancher
27-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Here, let her stare at this post. Maybe it will satisfy her long enough for you to get to play with your iPad.

http://homepage.mac.com/twgower/.pictures/ABHD.png

Tom (:macwave:... just trying to help!)

josh.p.
27-05-2010, 02:59 PM
We need a "I'm jealous I don't have an iPad yet" thread!

ukwdwnut
27-05-2010, 03:20 PM
:lalala::bored::f030: ;) :lol:

josh.p.
27-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Green doesn't suit you mick :wink:

ukwdwnut
27-05-2010, 03:42 PM

jealous!! dont think so mate :lol:

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 03:56 PM
right now the kids are home I cant get anywhere near it

:mental:

ukwdwnut
27-05-2010, 03:58 PM
thats so typical chris :lol:

tb2830
27-05-2010, 04:01 PM

certainly doesnt :point:

tb2830
27-05-2010, 04:02 PM

you could always get them one each for christmas :yes:

catrancher
27-05-2010, 04:05 PM

Tell them to put it down!

When they ask why?

Tell them, "Because I'm the Daddy and I said so. That's why!"

Tom (:macwave:... aw, that's Ok. It never worked on my daughter either!)

ukwdwnut
27-05-2010, 04:05 PM
certainly doesnt :point:

:lol: if i had a use for one id think about getting one but as i dont i wont :lol:

im only getting a nano coz i'll have a socket for it in the new car other than that i wouldnt have a use for one :)

lisaw
27-05-2010, 04:22 PM
We need a "I'm jealous I don't have an iPad yet" thread!

:thumbsup:

Britchick
27-05-2010, 04:27 PM
:thumbsup:

I'll let you play with mine in July!

Wow it's like driving a new car!

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Only criticism so far is the app store isn't quite as instinctive as the iPhones was. The games aren't listed by genre and more importantly finding free ones are a challenge. Really wanted a lite version of one of the driving games.

Never mind sure it won't be long before the market is flooded.

Typing on this is a dream :mental:

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Haven't had time to play with the photo gadget yet. It's a war here :lol:

The case is ok really. I agree it's not 30 quids worth but it is a really well designed compliment.

Oooooo toy story read along is cool

And the pub books are great

iWant Douglas Adams !!!!!

catrancher
27-05-2010, 04:37 PM
iWant Douglas Adams !!!!!

Me too! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

I had to break down, load the Kindle app, and get my fix via Kindle. :thumbsdown:

I really didn't want to do that!

Tom (:macwave:... I'll have a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster please!)

josh.p.
27-05-2010, 05:36 PM
:lol: if i had a use for one id think about getting one but as i dont i wont :lol:

im only getting a nano coz i'll have a socket for it in the new car other than that i wouldnt have a use for one :)
You'll probably find that changes when you get an iPod nano as you'll realise how useful iPods are :yes: I imagine it'd be great for when you're fishing :yes:

Britchick
27-05-2010, 05:48 PM

It's fantastic!!!

ukwdwnut
27-05-2010, 06:50 PM
You'll probably find that changes when you get an iPod nano as you'll realise how useful iPods are :yes: I imagine it'd be great for when you're fishing :yes:

fishing didnt think of that lol the car is the only place i could or need to use it tbh, in the car i could load all my music only got 20gb but would save making cd's all the time when i get bore of the same ol stuff lol...i just see them as the same as cd's, but just with loads more storage

tb2830
27-05-2010, 06:54 PM
fishing didnt think of that lol the car is the only place i could or need to use it tbh, in the car i could load all my music only got 20gb but would save making cd's all the time when i get bore of the same ol stuff lol...i just see them as the same as cd's, but just with loads more storage

i would go for the itouch

way better

josh.p.
27-05-2010, 07:33 PM
They're great for sitting in the garden, walking the shops, literally everywhere I go I have my headphones in! :yes:

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 08:56 PM
This is the future!! No question. Just downloaded the elements app asThomas has been drooling over the video of it for the last month _ took 2 hours but it is unbelievable. One day all books will be like this.

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Iplayer has gone big :mental:

Deafjeff
27-05-2010, 09:30 PM
14,000 Apple iPad Tablets To Be Delivered In The UK Within 24 Hours? - ITProPortal.com (http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/5/27/14000-apple-ipad-tablets-be-delivered-uk-within-24-hours/)

Skywatcher
27-05-2010, 10:17 PM
All Douglas Adams books now in iBooks :)

don't panic :macwave:

Tink
27-05-2010, 11:09 PM
It's nice to see you so happy, Doc. :hug2: Been a rough few months for you.

Nice that Lisa is into it so much too!!!!

(Ummm...forcibly??? :eek: ;) ). :hug2:

keith
28-05-2010, 12:33 AM
It's nice to see you so happy, Doc. :hug2: Been a rough few months for you.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Really glad you're enjoying it :yes:

Skywatcher
28-05-2010, 06:58 AM
:D thanks chaps - was intending to take it to work today but Matthew was too busy doing colouring in on the Toy Story app , and I couldn't bear to take him away from it.

Thomas is now obsessed with the elements song :lol:

I have a feeling I won't be able to sync the apps with any other iPad you know - even if I only use the one iTunes - all other purchases go into a neat little folder - the apps go onto a little picture of your iPad

Skywatcher
28-05-2010, 12:45 PM
iBooks store has a load more titles on it today :thumbsup:

Skywatcher
28-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Good grief get over it ths news is so 'yesterday' :wink:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/47943000/jpg/_47943156_maninipadcostume.jpg

Deafjeff
28-05-2010, 01:50 PM
I got it!!!!!!

sync it now but it also installing all my apps from iphone is that ok?

Deafjeff
28-05-2010, 02:12 PM
It amazing!

I am using the iPad to send this message and it is so easy!

Wow (downloading iBooks now!)

I went to Cardiff Apple store and they got 30 ipads left!

The camera connector was out of stock but managed to get the VGA cable so happy bunny!

Skywatcher
28-05-2010, 02:38 PM
:D :mental:

It really is a revolution isn't it - you will love iBooks and you may find the book is now on there there was hardly anything on yesterday then last night thousands found there way on - sorry didn't check the one you asked about as I was sifting through all the cool ones for teh boys

Deafjeff
28-05-2010, 02:40 PM
It still amazing but sadly I had to use Amazon Kindle to download the book I wanted.

Boy! Prefer iBooks!

It is odd experience reading book from iPad and do not like the layout or the syle of the kindle.

Hopefully more books I will read via iBooks

:yes:

Skywatcher
28-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Tomposted a few links to other sites like epub and gettysburg - each having many tens of thousands of free books - download them onto your desktop and drop them into itunes and bingo bango after you have synched they are in your iBooks library

I was very sceptical about iBooks but I can honestly see this being the future - Lisa thought that as well :yes:

catrancher
28-05-2010, 03:38 PM
gettysburg

:ROFL:

Did you happen to mean the link I posted to the Gutenberg project?

Gettysburg. http://homepage.mac.com/twgower/.pictures/smilies/lmaof.gif

Tom (:macwave:.... moveable type!)

Skywatcher
28-05-2010, 03:52 PM
:D well its close - it had a G in it :D

Dawn
28-05-2010, 04:13 PM
GETTYSBURG????!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Skywatcher
28-05-2010, 04:58 PM
It was the wrong address :D

ba doom boom pshhh - thank you I'm here all week , remember to tip your waitress'

catrancher
28-05-2010, 06:21 PM
ba doom boom pshhh - thank you I'm here all week , remember to tip your waitress'

:ROFL: http://homepage.mac.com/twgower/.pictures/smilies/lmaof.gifhttp://homepage.mac.com/twgower/.pictures/smilies/tracy.gif

Tom (:macwave:... snicker, snicker, you're killing me, cackle, chortle, grin, grin)

Skywatcher
28-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Interestingly. On the I books search in the uk if you search for an author on the title page it comes up with a blank search result but if you first select fiction and then search they come up. Downloaded the first chapter of hitchhikers just to have it at 6.99 per book it isn't cheap as you can get a collection of all 5 for 10 pounds here now

keith
28-05-2010, 10:53 PM
jeez leave the guy alone! unforgiving audience around here! :lol:

yeah that's the only shame, the pricing leaves much to be desired. You'd really hope that without the printing, distribution, setting out in a book shop which pays staff, shop costs, they'd be a bit cheaper wouldn't you? Of course, the "saving" is probably being eaten up by Apple's share.

As an aside, I'd PAY the price, but I really want them to work for the money. I'd like the books to be way more interactive taking advantage of the device with video/audio, images etc. and not just a text upload of the book :yes:

josh.p.
28-05-2010, 11:09 PM
jeez leave the guy alone! unforgiving audience around here! :lol:

yeah that's the only shame, the pricing leaves much to be desired. You'd really hope that without the printing, distribution, setting out in a book shop which pays staff, shop costs, they'd be a bit cheaper wouldn't you? Of course, the "saving" is probably being eaten up by Apple's share.

As an aside, I'd PAY the price, but I really want them to work for the money. I'd like the books to be way more interactive taking advantage of the device with video/audio, images etc. and not just a text upload of the book :yes:
I suppose I'll have to use one, but I just can't imagine ANY electronic device taking over normal books!

Skywatcher
29-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Neither did I until I used this. And that's the honest truth. You will love it Josh. Played with a kindle and didn't really like it much but I love this. If you want a new book just click and 2 seconds later there it is! The number of free books to try is genuinely impressive there are thousands. Reading Alice to the boys at bedtime and they love it and grimes fairy tails and aesops fables all withbtheir original drawings

The toy story read along is more what Keith is talking about with clips from the film colouring in and the ability forbyour kids to record their own voices reading the stories as well! I now have a copy of the book read my Matthew and it's great so it is possible

I admit I can't see Keith wanting colouring in though :lol:

Tink
29-05-2010, 10:50 AM
So how do you highlight important passages then, and make notes in the margins? :unsure:

Plus, if I (well let's make that WHEN I) drop the conventional book in the tub, it get's wet and dries out, all wrinkly, but dry and useable... what happens when iDrop the iPad in the tub? :eek:

Skywatcher
29-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Well a really good ziplok bag might work but I wouldn't want to risk it if I'm honest :lol:

You can highlight passages and make notes i think plus you can highlight any word and it looks it up in the dictionary for you as well

I love books don't get me wrong the smell and the tactile experience. But equally a lot of my house if taken up with books that I have read ghat I can't bear to get rid of. I have 25 bookson my iPad now and they use up no space at all and I cannot adequately put to you how cool turning a page on an Ibook is

keith
29-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I havent tried it enough to know, but if you can't yet, you will for sure be able to annotate properly and have it do OCR so you can even search your notes to find the page. *functionally* I truly doubt that you'll long for your paper books after the ipad gets into its stride.

I really believe it'll be like mp3 v albums. I look at my album collection, I love the smell, the look the record sleeves but in every other way the experience is less than mp3.

As for water proof :)

keith
29-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I admit I can't see Keith wanting colouring in though :lol:

Given the stress of my day to day existance, you may well find me hiding in a cupboard colouring in on the ipad one day soon :lol:

catrancher
29-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Interestingly. On the I books search in the uk if you search for an author on the title page it comes up with a blank search result but if you first select fiction and then search they come up. Downloaded the first chapter of hitchhikers just to have it at 6.99 per book it isn't cheap as you can get a collection of all 5 for 10 pounds here now

I am extremely grateful for this excellent piece of information. :yes:

But tragically, it doesn't work this way for me in the US store. Even changing the genre to Fiction yields almost exactly nothing. :sigh:

But once again, l thank you for this most useful tip! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... in a bit of a Inspector Clouseau mood today!)

Skywatcher
29-05-2010, 04:15 PM
It has to be a bug in the search engine otherwise why have a search window on the front page - boys were gutted at no lemony snicket, tapped fiction just before and bang they are all there bizzare

Tink
29-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Thank you for the highlighting and note taking descriptions. Good to know. :yes:

That a water proof jacket there, Keith? :unsure: That would work, eh? :D :D

I'm a clumsy oaf. Get the book in one hand, and reach for the champagne with the other and PLOP book ends up in the water... :sigh:

Not that I'd leave off the champagne! :eek:

Dawn
29-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Angry Birds is destroying my life. Today it reduced Steven to tears and all he was doing was watching me play it. :unsure:

tb2830
29-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Angry Birds is destroying my life. Today it reduced Steven to tears and all he was doing was watching me play it. :unsure:

i sat in bed till 1 this morning playing angry birds it has totally took over my life

Skywatcher
29-05-2010, 05:15 PM
When it is bigger it destroys your life in HD :sigh:

josh.p.
29-05-2010, 05:19 PM
I am on a level that I've done before but when I was an idiot and synced with a different library I lost all my progress and had to start again.

It's more frustrating knowing you've done it before and you can't do it again!

keith
29-05-2010, 05:31 PM

I blame skywatcher for making us all play it :yes:

All night back from Orlando it was all I could do.. just one more level, just one more level. Coming into land and they asked for all electronic devices to be put away and I just kept hiding it as they went past.

Yes, it's all skywatcher's fault

Britchick
29-05-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm on 4-8 now and have a frozen shoulder and RSI :surrender:

Skywatcher
29-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I blame skywatcher for making us all play it :yes:

All night back from Orlando it was all I could do.. just one more level, just one more level. Coming into land and they asked for all electronic devices to be put away and I just kept hiding it as they went past.

Yes, it's all skywatcher's fault

See I told you if would make the flight go quickly

Bought scrabble today, the pinball tables that I had on the iPhone and need for speed. It's my best as I get to drive an rx8. :lol:

tb2830
29-05-2010, 07:53 PM
im on 5-3 at the moment

craig has gone out for the evening think he has gave up trying to get a conversation out of me

keith
29-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Is the ipad version the same just a higher definition? :unsure:

catrancher
29-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Is the ipad version the same just a higher definition? :unsure:

Not according to my DW's son. He was here this weekend and I ruined his life by letting him play Angry Birds HD on my iPad. Based on what he was saying, the iPhone version is different than the iPad version.

Keep in mind thought that he may not be 100% trustworthy in this. After all, he works in Hollywood! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... he ran my battery down to nuthin!)

Skywatcher
29-05-2010, 10:09 PM
From someone who has stared at angry birds for 2 months now. Angry birds HD is just really BIG but the levels are exactly the same. That said I'm g
Lad I got it as the interface is even better in the big

keith
29-05-2010, 10:10 PM
From someone who has stared at angry birds for 2 months now. Angry birds HD is just really BIG but the levels are exactly the same. That said I'm g
Lad I got it as the interface is even better in the big

do I have to do it all again or will it know where I'm upto on the iphone version :D

Skywatcher
29-05-2010, 10:15 PM
That is rather a sore point in our house at the moment

keith
29-05-2010, 10:17 PM
That is rather a sore point in our house at the moment

oh. Seems like such an obvious thing to offer? either give a code when you get to a new level which we could use to get back there or store the highest level attained online somewhere

Skywatcher
29-05-2010, 10:20 PM
At the moment the iPad version only has the first 2 themes as well. But they have been so good at adding levels to the iPhone I'm sure the others are coming

Skywatcher
30-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Well a few days in and the family all still love the thing. I came back from work yesterday and started grumbling about battery time, only to be told it had been on constantly for 6 hours :lol:

Lisa is desperate for hers to come and it has already become and extension of my arm. For those without it the comparison to how you use an touch or iPhone works well, lived without it fine and couldn't see what all the fuss was about but after a few day s it's just so easy. And intuitive, using the Internet by touch feels so involving, the boards here are just a joy to use and I would rather use the iPad than any oth medium I think

I am going to get Lisa to join when she gets hers :yes: no excuse about no way to get on then

Typing is brilliant , only 2 minor problems for me, one is my pinkie on my left hand keeps brushing the toggle key for the numbers so I suddenly find myself typing numerals when I am flying through along post. The other is a pet peeve , on the default keyboard you get a ! But no apostrophe. suppose that goes to show how language changes.

I am just hungry for more apps to show off what. This can do, a few haven't made it over here yet like dragon dictate.

catrancher
30-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Chris,

Glad you guys are enjoying it as much as you obviously are! :yes:

Have you tried much with Photos yet. Albums, faces, places, etc. I love the way a quick flick of your fingers expands all the faces into an array of individual photos. A quick pinch puts them all back into a stack.

Amazing user interface! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... I need that camera connection kit!)

Skywatcher
30-05-2010, 12:35 PM
I advent even got around to using it yet. May do lat er as I have a mate around at the moment who is into the technical stuff. Haven't uploaded my current sim as it's only got r files on it and I'm not sure if It will take those

catrancher
30-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Haven't uploaded my current sim as it's only got r files on it and I'm not sure if It will take those

According to Apple, the Camera Connection Kit works fine with RAW files. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... feeling a little RAW myself this morning!)

Skywatcher
30-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Hmm just off to the beach and then I'll give it a try then

josh.p.
30-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Has anyone tried the iPad connector kit in an iPhone?

Skywatcher
30-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Works really well :)

josh.p.
30-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Works really well :)
even when plugged into the iPhone? As in SD Card > iPhone rather than iPhone > Ipad via USB.

Skywatcher
30-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Oh. Not tried that. No way to do faces etc on the iPad as far as I. Can see though

catrancher
30-05-2010, 10:04 PM
No way to do faces etc on the iPad as far as I. Can see though

Sure there is. :yes:

In the Photos app, along the top of screen is a tab type bar. On it is Photos, Albums, Events , Faces, and Places.

Pick your poison! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... don't make me worry!)

Skywatcher
31-05-2010, 07:51 AM
No. Mine just says photos events and albums...... :unsure:

Skywatcher
31-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Ah ok I've worked it out now , you need to upload photos that have been first imported via iPhoto so it can tag them, as I have only taken pics of flickr and fierce from the camera I don't even have those options yet

catrancher
31-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Glad you got it worked out!

It's all so unbelievably cool! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... my faces are all over my places!)