PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss

Isafari
29-05-2010, 08:53 PM
...if anything while you are on holiday at WDW?
Do you long for that roast dinner, maybe a nice cuppa, or do you miss your pets etc?

tb2830
29-05-2010, 08:59 PM
definately a roast beef dinner :yes: can i have more than one lol if so

my bed

my car

my best friend

and my local chinese who misses me just as much when im away

Britchick
29-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Nothing as long as I have a comfy bed. Only thing I take is Yorkshire tea bags lol

josh.p.
29-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Nothing really :unsure: When we had a dog it was him :yes:

foreverducky
30-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I miss only 3 things: Arthur, my bed, and my own shower.

arkvilla
30-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Tea - ( but I take my own)

Mature cheddar cheese (Ours is much stronger and sharper than any I've found in Florida - I now take that as well)

Butter ( I know they have butter but I like ours better - I take that too)

I put it in a tupperware container and it's ok in my big suitcase..

The thing I miss the most is our bread - specially Tiger bread which I love - I don't take that :lol:

Sandra

Tink
30-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Well, it's not quite the same for me, but when we traveled to get to WDW, I didn't miss anything.

Now that we live here, I do miss several things from the Northeast. Mama for one. :sigh:

Good pepperoni, cheese curds, real cannoli, rum cake, tomato pie, greens (escarole to be specific) cooked "just that way," true Dunkin' Donuts coffee (Florida coffee shops just CAN'T get it right) Dean and De Luca, Yankee Stadium (will miss that one forever as it's gone now) hot dogs from the little guy right outside of Yankee Stadium, the little cheese shop in the Village, the coffee roaster in the village, and the Ethiopian restaurants... gosh. :( Guess I miss a lot.

arkvilla
30-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Tink - why you up soooo early??

Sandra

Tink
30-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Can't sleep.

keith
30-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Tea - what IS it with the US not understanding tea? If I get presented with one more cup of luke warm water, some mouldy old flowery tea bag and cream to put in it I'll scream! :lol:

Local chinese restaurant. Frankly, though good, our local chinese is just good not the best I've ever tasted but it's still in another league altogether than awful Orlando places in general. Again, not sure how hard it can be to setup a decent chinese in florida?

Tink
30-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Apparently it's impossible, the Chinese food I mean.

Tea. They are just being lazy. There are actual tea shops here and they do know how to brew a proper pot of real tea. Getting a nasty cup is just pure laziness on the part of the restaurant and I've been known to send it back with specific directions for what I want to see come out of the kitchen. :sorry:

Hey. If I want tea. I want TEA.

ukwdwnut
30-05-2010, 09:36 AM
tea and bread, why is the bread like nimble its full of air, i have to nail it down so it dont float away :lol:

other than that i miss nothing about the UK whatsoever or the UK itself

Skywatcher
30-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Tea definitely. Even if we take our own it still never tastes right. Vegetables without a old of dressings and cadbury choklit

Tink
30-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Part of that is the water. :(

In NY, the majority of the drinking water there comes from a lime filtered natural aquifer. Nothing is as good, eh?

Florida? Treated swamp water for the most part. :sigh:

keith
30-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Tea definitely.

planet hollywood. OK, not the best place to ask for tea I know :lol: they brought another server to try and decipher my request. I said "look, just a cup of hot tea with milk please". They went off, had a conference came back and said they didnt have the necessary machine to make tea.

Machine? Look folks, can I just have a cup of boiling water and I'll make mine own?

So then they decide if thats all it takes they can do that, so they bring a cup of warm water and a glass of milk :lol:

30mins later and I've made a cup of moderately acceptable liptons but come on, is it SO hard?

Even if we take our own it still never tastes right. Vegetables without a old of dressings and cadbury choklit

I don't do anything green over here either so salad/vegetables are not missed by me, but DW loathes the dressings on that stuff in the states.

ukwdwnut
30-05-2010, 09:45 AM
oh and the water

Skywatcher
30-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Find it very hard to get any veg or salad without any dressings, if you ask for them you get looked at like you are strange so we sometimes get carrot sticks off the kids menu for some fibre

Tink
30-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Don't get the dressings. I always make it clear that I don't want salad dressing of any kind. If it comes out with it, back it goes. I use a bit of lemon on my salad and that's it. I hate it swimming in nasty thick goo. Blech.

Tinkfan
30-05-2010, 12:08 PM
:wave: I think the tea is served at a certain temperature ( and coffee) to avoid law suits. Not kidding! At McDonalds a women spilled a cup and sued the pants off of them because she burned herself. You can buy tea in Epcot that is better but still not a big selection of brands. What brand do you drink normally drink all of you from across the pond? Our local Wegmans has a section of foods and teas from Ireland and England. Most people in the States do not serve their veggies that way, tha's why it's so odd that they do there. Except for TS, they must pre-make their salads for crowds. I always ask for dressing on the side :yes:

Tinkfan
30-05-2010, 12:11 PM
tea and bread, why is the bread like nimble its full of air, i have to nail it down so it dont float away :lol:

other than that i miss nothing about the UK whatsoever or the UK itself

:wave: You have to come and visit us here if you want good bread and pizza! Actually we have very good food in general here. ( plus we'll take you to see the Falls!)

Slowhand
30-05-2010, 02:51 PM
planet hollywood. OK, not the best place to ask for tea I know :lol: they brought another server to try and decipher my request. I said "look, just a cup of hot tea with milk please". They went off, had a conference came back and said they didnt have the necessary machine to make tea.

Machine? Look folks, can I just have a cup of boiling water and I'll make mine own?

So then they decide if thats all it takes they can do that, so they bring a cup of warm water and a glass of milk :lol:

30mins later and I've made a cup of moderately acceptable liptons but come on, is it SO hard?

The next time you go Keith you MUST take a teapot and one of those fluffy tea cosy`s with you, then stand back and see the reaction you get. :lol:

keith
30-05-2010, 02:55 PM
The next time you go Keith you MUST take a teapot and one of those fluffy tea cosy`s with you, then stand back and see the reaction you get. :lol:

:laugh: that would be funny :yes:

josh.p.
30-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I do actually remember missing vegetables!!

New york was the worst food-wise for a lack of veggies :yes: We did it on the 'cheap' as we where a group of students but I found myself craving a salad the whole time haha

Tink
30-05-2010, 03:03 PM
JOSH! You didn't go into those little delis then! There are tons of those little shops and they have standard buffet style veggie dishes and salads at each one!

That's it. No more NYC for you without me. ;) :D

foreverducky
30-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I only drink sun tea. I love it!

Dawn
30-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I miss vegetables at WDW.

Adrian always has salad without dressing - we've got used to the funny stares now. :lol:

I expect I'll miss my dog this time round.

josh.p.
30-05-2010, 07:59 PM
JOSH! You didn't go into those little delis then! There are tons of those little shops and they have standard buffet style veggie dishes and salads at each one!

That's it. No more NYC for you without me. ;) :D
I DID!! I DID!!! :yes: The salads where always plain old iceburg lettuce and I only like proper lettuces :yes:

arkvilla
30-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I love rocket Josh ( in Florida it's called Arugula)

In Cafe TuTu Tango they do pears on pecan crisps with blue cheese nibbles and balsamic glaze on arugula and it is divine

Sandra

josh.p.
30-05-2010, 08:14 PM
I love rocket Josh ( in Florida it's called Arugula)

In Cafe TuTu Tango they do pears on pecan crisps with blue cheese nibbles and balsamic glaze on arugula and it is divine

Sandra
Rocket is my favourite!!! :yes: My sister only eats iceberg and I call it "scally salad" :rotfl:

arkvilla
30-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Rocket is dead easy to grow Josh, you should give it a go :yes:

Sandra

ukwdwnut
31-05-2010, 01:35 AM
:wave: You have to come and visit us here if you want good bread and pizza! Actually we have very good food in general here. ( plus we'll take you to see the Falls!)

cool, im getting more of a taste for pizza too, didnt care for it much until recently. you know ive always wanted to see the falls :D

BUTTERHEAD1
31-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Usualy after 4 or 5 days I start to miss my regular Chinese food and pizza. I also miss my shower(water pressure) and my bedroom. But not enough to cut the vacation short...

Deafjeff
31-05-2010, 07:55 AM
TEA!

I am pretty sure that their tea bags is water proof!

and.....

proper milk!

(half and half :nono:)

I asked my DH and he replied Cheese Sandwiches!

lisaw
31-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Nothing on a 2/3 week holiday! Maybe if I was there for 6 months or more :lol:

Britchick
31-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Nothing on a 2/3 week holiday! Maybe if I was there for 6 months or more :lol:

Interesting point trying to remember what I missed...

Salad cream, pork pie (not that I eat them that much) sossidges, fish and chips, indian takeaway, We never found anything like home and proper choclit

MystikPiglit
31-05-2010, 04:11 PM
After the first couple of days...my cooking. And decent bread.

(I take my own M&S teabags. :D )

*Bambi-Belle*
01-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Nothing apart from my pets.

Shellyamc
01-06-2010, 03:34 PM
My puppy, bunny, and my family :unsure: cheesy huh?

My parents and my sister and I used to go all over the place finding amusement parks and fun things to do, so I always found it hard doing 'fun things' without them. I even felt sad on field trips at school if I thought we were going someplace my parents might like to see. Yea, I'm weird. So going to Disney was hard without them. They went to Disney on their honeymoon 36 years ago, but I know they would love it now. So there ya go..I'm a sap and want my parents to come :lol: Crossing our fingers for this next trip!

Kate
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I miss chocolate and my cats! I dont really eat that much chocolate when im at home, but i always have it as a treat on holiday so when we are in florida i feel im missing out!

Isafari
02-06-2010, 08:06 AM
For me it depends how long we are away for. After three weeks or so, I so long for a nice salad, beans on toast, a simple Heinz tomato soup....which I noticed last trip Publix selling cans for around $2.75 for a regular can. I bought one. I didn't use it :lol:

kazzaqld
02-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Australian accents!

Isn't that funny - but I feel like I stick out when I am away, and when I get back home everyone sounds like me again. :unsure:

I'm sure no-one else really cares - but I feel funny about it. If I'm watching the TV in America and an Aussie comes on it makes me prick up my ears!

lisaw
02-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Australian accents!

Isn't that funny - but I feel like I stick out when I am away, and when I get back home everyone sounds like me again. :unsure:

I'm sure no-one else really cares - but I feel funny about it. If I'm watching the TV in America and an Aussie comes on it makes me prick up my ears!

We get asked a lot if we are Australian, so you obviously don't stand out as much as you think to the American ear anyway. :lol:

Slowhand
02-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I`ve lost count of the number of times that an American has said to me "I love your accent".
I usually reply "Actually I don`t have an accent, I speak English, it is you who have the accent!" :lol:

keith
02-06-2010, 02:56 PM
We get asked a lot if we are Australian, so you obviously don't stand out as much as you think to the American ear anyway. :lol:

yep, we get that all the time in the states too :yes: