PDA

View Full Version : how old to drink?

disney1sttimer
02-06-2010, 10:40 PM
how old do you need to be to drink alcohol legally in disney please?

Shellyamc
02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
21 years of age :D

josh.p.
02-06-2010, 10:55 PM
How old do you need to be to have wine with your meal?

ukwdwnut
02-06-2010, 11:43 PM
probably the same josh i would have thought

Tink
03-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Yep, all alcohol requires a minimum age of 21.

ukwdwnut
03-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Yep, all alcohol requires a minimum age of 21.

too right as well imo :)

BUTTERHEAD1
03-06-2010, 03:05 AM
And it is strictly enforced.

Dawn
03-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Very strictly enforced. I was still being asked for i.d in my 30s.

arkvilla
03-06-2010, 07:11 AM
I was asked for ID when I went to Pleasure Island a few years back - I was absolutely chuffed as I was 36 at the time :bounce:

I didn't stop smiling all night and told Jai how very lucky he was to have such a young looking wife after 15 years of marriage (then)

Sandra

ukwdwnut
03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
i think it should be the same age here too :yes:

Skywatcher
03-06-2010, 10:12 AM
I was asked for ID last time as well, infact they also asked the guy infront of me who looked like the KFC colonel and as he had no id they wouldn't serve him :rolleyes:, there is a line between upholding teh law and common sense

Tink
03-06-2010, 10:55 AM
It is strictly enforced, true but WDW checking is beyond silly. If you go off site, you'll be asked only if the barkeep truly can't tell your age. Some do just ID everyone who appears to be under 40 as it really is safer for them. There are major repercussions if they are caught serving under age customers.

Disney usually is pretty strict about the number of drinks they'll provide to one guest too. It's silly, as we've seen time and time again, guests buying drinks for seemingly under age people. :shrug: I do know though that if a guest is caught doing that all in the party are asked to leave.

Driving under the influence is another huge issue here. VERY strictly enforced, in some areas it's an immediate trip to the closest jail. :eek: Far, far better to leave your car and call a cab... than run the risk of being stopped.

Generally speaking one alcoholic drink per hour will not produce an illegal consumption level. However, that is a VERY general rule and not something to be applied without consideration for your usual tolerance for alcohol, the type, what you've eaten, ect.

The whole drinking and driving thing is why we stay on property for events like the Food and Wine Festival. That way we can both have a drink and not have to worry about driving.

Remember, providing alcoholic drinks to an underage person is illegal, regardless of whether you are the barkeep or not. "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" is one of the charges, or if the LE agent wants to be really testy, "provision of illegal substance to a minor" can be the charge! :eek:

So, all that to say, yep. 21 to drink any type of alcohol, period.

josh.p.
03-06-2010, 03:38 PM
In the UK you have to be 18 to buy alcohol but you only have to be 16 to drink a pint/glass of lager, cider or wine with your meal, and it has to be a table meal. Obviously you need to be accompanied by an adult. Drinking at home has no legal limit, though.

Tinkfan
04-06-2010, 01:14 AM
In the UK you have to be 18 to buy alcohol but you only have to be 16 to drink a pint/glass of lager, cider or wine with your meal, and it has to be a table meal. Obviously you need to be accompanied by an adult. Drinking at home has no legal limit, though.

Really?!

Tinkfan
04-06-2010, 01:16 AM
It is strictly enforced, true but WDW checking is beyond silly. If you go off site, you'll be asked only if the barkeep truly can't tell your age. Some do just ID everyone who appears to be under 40 as it really is safer for them. There are major repercussions if they are caught serving under age customers.

Disney usually is pretty strict about the number of drinks they'll provide to one guest too. It's silly, as we've seen time and time again, guests buying drinks for seemingly under age people. :shrug: I do know though that if a guest is caught doing that all in the party are asked to leave.

Driving under the influence is another huge issue here. VERY strictly enforced, in some areas it's an immediate trip to the closest jail. :eek: Far, far better to leave your car and call a cab... than run the risk of being stopped.

Generally speaking one alcoholic drink per hour will not produce an illegal consumption level. However, that is a VERY general rule and not something to be applied without consideration for your usual tolerance for alcohol, the type, what you've eaten, ect.

The whole drinking and driving thing is why we stay on property for events like the Food and Wine Festival. That way we can both have a drink and not have to worry about driving.

Remember, providing alcoholic drinks to an underage person is illegal, regardless of whether you are the barkeep or not. "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" is one of the charges, or if the LE agent wants to be really testy, "provision of illegal substance to a minor" can be the charge! :eek:

So, all that to say, yep. 21 to drink any type of alcohol, period.

If it was my usual tolerance, everyone would have to stop at 1/2 glass!!!!:tongue:

Skywatcher
04-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Really?!

:yes: and we are even considered strict by the standards of most of Europe, most French kids have watered down wine from a very early age with meals.

Its about attitudes and being sensible, you can raise the age all you like but kids will still drink - there is a body of thought that suggests the more taboo you make it the more likely kids are going to do it in secret and to excess, if they are allowed to do it under their parents supervision and it is socially acceptable then it causes less problems. Unfortunately attitudes to alcohol in this country are not great, wish we could be more French if I'm honest.

Britchick
04-06-2010, 07:14 AM
My two have had watered down wine with a meal. Daniel now has the occasional bottle of beer but always with a meal. He's 16 in a few weeks. I think if you ban something it makes it more enticing and you're more likely to have problems.

Tinkfan
04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
:yes: and we are even considered strict by the standards of most of Europe, most French kids have watered down wine from a very early age with meals.

Its about attitudes and being sensible, you can raise the age all you like but kids will still drink - there is a body of thought that suggests the more taboo you make it the more likely kids are going to do it in secret and to excess, if they are allowed to do it under their parents supervision and it is socially acceptable then it causes less problems. Unfortunately attitudes to alcohol in this country are not great, wish we could be more French if I'm honest.

I agree, when I was growing up in the Dark Ages the legal age was 18, the thrill was gone so to speak by the time you were 20 lol! Now, they're still sneaking around when they're juniors and seniors in college. The mind set back then for the change was to "prevent" drunk driving. Sadly, it didn't work. I agree that the legal age of 18 allowed kids to drink legally at school functions held off the grounds, so why not 19? We used to have a rough go of watching our classes at the prom!!! :nono: :taunt:

Tink
04-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Yep, have to agree that there is some real truth to this point of view.

We have serious issues with drinking in our colleges and universities because the kids come of age when they are away from home, and well... you get the rest.

It's a big deal to go out and get totally drunk on your 21st, which is not the point eh?

I do believe that families should be able to govern their own children's "drinking." Unless it involves other children/teens and problems with too much alcohol, families here don't have much problem with allowing their teens to have some alcohol on occassion.

In my parents home we were allowed to have wine with dinner in our teens and my Da never minded you having a taste of what he may have for a cocktail (again in the home). My sister used to have a teeny tiny mug that my Grandfather would put some beer in (amounted to a teaspoon or so) and boy did she think she was important.

Drinking responsibly is the key. If you surround it with mystique and make it appear to be something more important than it actually is, you inflate the tendency to drink too much.

Far better for teens to be introduced to responsible drinking by their families than left to learn about the ills of over consumption with their friends. :shrug:

Rather like the other taboo subject, eh? ;) We don't want our kids learning about ummm...procreation from irresponsible people, now do we?

Same with drinking.

Boy, I'm just too soap boxy for words lately. :sorry:

Skywatcher
05-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Interestingly in Scandinavia the age of consent for that Tink is very low and the Teen pregnancy rate is the lowest in europe - you take away the 'thrill' and discuss it openly and the kids don't want to do it any more ( well you know what I mean)

If you can vote at 18 you really should be able to do anything else

just MHO

Dawn
05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
So you can join the Army at 16 but can't vote until you are 18...

josh.p.
05-06-2010, 11:29 AM
I personally find it crazy that you can't drink until your 21 but you can drive at 16!

keith
05-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I personally find it crazy that you can't drink until your 21 but you can drive at 16!

yeah would be a lot more logical to make it 21 for driving as well ;)

Claire
05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
My DH is of the opinion that if you can fight and die for your country you should be able to unwind with a beer.

josh.p.
05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
From my experience of the roads in Florida (obviously not driving) it would be a lot better if you had to be 21.

Tinkfan
05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
What's the driving age in the UK? Oh and Josh, Orlando is horrible to drive in. It's not like that everywhere, the beltway in Washington is bad too! Any major city in fact but most other towns and small cities are much more manageable.

Britchick
05-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Definitely, and it's 15 to drive in some states

My DH is of the opinion that if you can fight and die for your country you should be able to unwind with a beer.

Exactly!

josh.p.
05-06-2010, 11:58 AM
What's the driving age in the UK?
You can apply for a provisional license at 17 where you have to take driving lessons and pass a theory test, and then a practical one before you can drive without someone over 25 and has been driving for 3 years or more in your car.

Exactly :yes:

Tink
13-06-2010, 10:36 PM
You can marry in some southern states at 14. Well, if you are hetersexual, of course.

There was a time that the drinking age was 18, and it was directly related to service to country. The lower drinking age was won on the same premise as Claire has said. If one was old enough to fight and die for one's country, then having a beer was ok, too. No longer.

It would make sense that driving ages and marriage ages would be increased to 21 too. It is the "age of majority" or supposedly.

15 to marry in some states, 16 in others.

uscwest
13-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I was just looking at the different state regulations and in South Dakota you can get your full driver's license at 14 :jawdrop::jawdrop:

kazzaqld
13-06-2010, 11:58 PM
In Australia the drinking age is 18

The driving age varies from state to state but generally you can get your learner's permit at around 16 or 17 but you cannot get your license til you are 18 and even then it is more restricted than an open one (lower alcohol limits and suchlike)

I just went and looked it up and now I am confused! :unsure:

14 is just scary John!!! :jawdrop:

Johnie
14-06-2010, 01:13 AM
In many rural areas, one can get their drivers license at 14. It's something to do with causing a hardship to families.

The older I get, the more I think the car rental companies have the right idea. They don't typically rent to those under the age of 25. There are lots of studies that have shown that your brain does not stop developing until that age as well.

I do think that there should be a standard age for things like voting, going to war, drinking. It's ridiculous to have all of these different ages.

ToTMistress
14-06-2010, 05:58 AM
:jawdrop:O.M.G just can't belive some of the ages in some countrys. not being funny but why have driving licence and marrige at so young age. you know would not mind if the drinking was put up to 21 years old aswell in the uk. its just shocking :bugeye: :lipwobble: