PDA

View Full Version : Help me carpe diem a camcorder thingy for August

Dawn
06-06-2010, 11:39 AM
OK have decided we need a camcorder thing for our Disney trip. But having not touched one of these since they took full size VHS tapes I'm a bit in the dark about them. So some help needed please.

Here's our criteria

SMALL!!!
External storage
Some kind of optical zoom

We're looking for something that will give a decent image when played back on TV - not really needing professional quality but something that takes a "nice" picture.

Budget is 300 though could possibly stretch that if it was REALLY worth it.

josh.p.
06-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Are you looking at some sort of flip-type mini-corder, or a full DV tape camcorder?

Dawn
06-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Open to all suggestions that don't need a suitcase to carry them around. :lol:

Might get one of those little kodak jobbies we're all drooling over in Skywatcher's thread to play with but if there's something out there with zoom and a few more features then I'm interested.

keith
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
How much are you anticipating Videoing? Would a better stills camera which has HD recording capacity work better?

Dawn
06-06-2010, 12:05 PM
No idea. We haven't owned one so don't really know how much we'll use it. I suspect we'll use it a lot with a 7 year old in many theme parks though.

ukwdwnut
06-06-2010, 12:05 PM
i still prefer the mini dv tapes dawn, the footage is crystal clear, easy to make movies to burn to dvd, media is cheap. you have masters of all the movies, unlike other formats once deleted. and a sony everytime for me...mine is about 4in sq fits in your back pocket. every one a plus for what i want :D

tb2830
06-06-2010, 12:13 PM
i still prefer the mini dv tapes dawn, the footage is crystal clear, easy to make movies to burn to dvd, media is cheap. you have masters of all the movies, unlike other formats once deleted. and a sony everytime for me...mine is about 4in sq fits in your back pocket. every one a plus for what i want :D

well im going to say that my sanyo picture is crystal clear and they is no way im going to lug dv tapes on my next trip

infact it was perfect to record everything from the water parks to the water rides to normal recording

i managed to record lots of things that i wouldnt of be able to do with my dv camcorder

sd cards are cheap now a days so didnt cost much to get extra memory

Skywatcher
06-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd go with a mini one, we're not looking for cinematic quality, just capturing some moving memories, and if you can do that with no moving parts in a box the size of a small mobile then bingo - put the other 250 towards something else :D

keith
06-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I'd go with a mini one, we're not looking for cinematic quality, just capturing some moving memories, and if you can do that with no moving parts in a box the size of a small mobile then bingo - put the other 250 towards something else :D

yeah agreed

josh.p.
06-06-2010, 12:29 PM
The main advantage of SD cards is the price of them now-a-days :yes: However, I do like DV tapes for the reasons that Mick states.

It really does depend on what you want, though. If you're going to film AND take photos, I'd perhaps go with Keith's suggestion and get a camera that also does HD video :yes: I've never come across a video camera that takes nice pictures :sigh: but I've seen plenty of cameras that take stunning videos.

I don't know how much they are, but some of the DSLR cameras now do HD videos too :yes: I'm guessing they'll be more about 400/500, though :sigh:

Dawn
06-06-2010, 12:56 PM
But the mini one has no zoom.

Skywatcher
06-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Run forwards :lol:

I think if you want a proper optical zoom you are going to have to spend quite a bit more, just have a think about why you need a zoom though . I can understand utterly for taking stills but for videos you need more of a wide angle to show the boy playing on mainstreet or swimming in typhoon lagoon

(:mental: by the way :D )

keith
06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Run forwards :lol:

I think if you want a proper optical zoom you are going to have to spend quite a bit more, just have a think about why you need a zoom though . I can understand utterly for taking stills but for videos you need more of a wide angle to show the boy playing on mainstreet or swimming in typhoon lagoon

(:mental: by the way :D )

That's my feeling too :yes: if you look at the really crumby videos they tend to be the ones where people zoom in and out all the time, the best ones are ones just set at one distance and record. (unless we're talking about really nicely edited ones that is)

The DSLRs which Josh was talking about, and I know something about unlike video cams which I don't ;-), all play into this idea of getting the right framing and then just record. Trying to zoom in and out on them is difficult and produces some pretty awful footage.

Of course, the normal consumer vidcams can zoom in and out with ease but we're talking memory recording here not the next avatar :D

Dawn
06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
What if we're at the back of Shamu stadium and want to zoom in on Auntie Jo in the splash zone? :unsure:

Skywatcher
06-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Take some elastic and 2 bits of velcro and strap it to her head :yes:

catrancher
06-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Or, get the waterproof one (http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/PLAYSPORT_Video_Camera/productID.169976100?cm_mmc=media-banner-_-kodak-_-homepage-_-playsport-main-_-052410) and strap it to her ankle! http://homepage.mac.com/twgower/.pictures/smilies/tracy.gif

Tom (:macwave:... who has now surpassed the 2000 post mark! :happydance:)

ukwdwnut
06-06-2010, 02:01 PM
well im going to say that my sanyo picture is crystal clear and they is no way im going to lug dv tapes on my next trip

infact it was perfect to record everything from the water parks to the water rides to normal recording

i managed to record lots of things that i wouldnt of be able to do with my dv camcorder

sd cards are cheap now a days so didnt cost much to get extra memory

the sanyo is the waterproof one yes?

as josh said its horses for courses and personal taste. the tapes i use daily all fit in my camcorder case which is small at 8x6" so makes no odds about lugging them about :)

josh.p.
06-06-2010, 02:25 PM
How about something like this?

Sanyo VPC-CG10 Xacti Digital HD 720P Camcorder Black (VPC-CG10EBK) - dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/products/sanyo-vpc-cg10-xacti-digital-hd-720p-camcorder-black-6591.html)

josh.p.
06-06-2010, 02:27 PM
This one is very nice for a lady;
Sanyo VPC-CG10EP Dual Video & Photo Camera - Pink: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-VPC-CG10EP-Video-Photo-Camera/dp/B001SAOWPK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275834441&sr=8-8)

This one is also waterproof;
Sanyo VPC-CA9EBK HD Waterproof Dual Video and Photo: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-VPC-CA9EBK-Waterproof-Video-Camera/dp/B001SAJHXW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275834441&sr=8-3)

tb2830
06-06-2010, 02:38 PM
the sanyo is the waterproof one yes?

as josh said its horses for courses and personal taste. the tapes i use daily all fit in my camcorder case which is small at 8x6" so makes no odds about lugging them about :)

yeh josh mine is the waterproof one :yes: it was fab

i also love the sanyo hd one in pink its gorgeous

thou i might get chloe the sanyo had in black as she is not a girlie girl lol