PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Yesterday

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 08:47 AM
well it wasnt the news i was hoping for :( im still a bit upset tbh.

the trial drug ive been on for the past few years has not been working as well as they would have liked to they are taking me off of it, one good thing with that is it will relieve me of the constant coughing, which got me down and made me really breathless as well as make me vomit after too much coughing.

so now i have to have a new drug which is injected, ive got to have a tube permanently sited in my chest, into a major vein. im still trying to be positive but living with the news that this condition could still kill me is always there at the back of my mind no matter how i try to bury it..so if you have a spare bit of the magic dust i would mind some plz :D

Deafjeff
08-06-2010, 08:48 AM
:hug2:

:sorry:

Tinkerbell
08-06-2010, 08:51 AM
:(

:pdust::pdust::pdust::pdust::pdust:

Kate
08-06-2010, 09:00 AM
:hug2: :pixiedust:

lozzy
08-06-2010, 09:00 AM
:hug2::hug2::hug2: Oh Mick I am really sorry :hug2::hug2::hug2:

arkvilla
08-06-2010, 09:24 AM
:hug2::pixiedust::pixiedust:

So sorry to hear this Mick.

I'm sure the shock is hard to take but we're all going to go at some point Mick and worrying about what if's, won't help - you are getting the treatment you need and now you need to try to enjoy life while being careful the way your doctors have advised.

I'm sure you'll be around for many years to come and you'll be your optimistic self once you adjust to your new treatment.

Take care Mick :hug2:

Sandra

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 09:51 AM

thx jeff :hug2:

thx kate :hug2:

thx laura :hug2:

I'm sure the shock is hard to take but we're all going to go at some point Mick and worrying about what if's, won't help - you are getting the treatment you need and now you need to try to enjoy life while being careful the way your doctors have advised.

I'm sure you'll be around for many years to come and you'll be your optimistic self once you adjust to your new treatment.

Sandra

thx sandra....the shock was a bit overwhelming really, and now im even more nervous, ive just had a call from the hospital.

what this new drug entails and the equipment

the catheter thats inserted into my chest goes in around 16cm, 160mm or 61/2 inches in old money. then there is a tube that connects to a motor that drives the prescribed dosage of the drug into my body constantly 24/7, 365 days a year, so no chance of me missing any. the size of the motor is around the size of a mobile phone, but i forgot to ask how big the drug carrier is :( to say im nervous of having this catheter inserted is scaring the c**p out of me. was told yesterday i will never be able to go swimming, so god knows how i will be able to take a shower or bath again i havent a clue. right now i feel like my life is just being taken over by this condition :(

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 09:52 AM

thx jeff :hug2:

thx nicki :hug2:

thx laura :hug2:

Sandra

thx sandra....the shock was a bit overwhelming really, and now im even more nervous, ive just had a call from the hospital.

what this new drug entails and the equipment

the catheter thats inserted into my chest goes in around 16cm, 160mm or 61/2 inches in old money. then there is a tube that connects to a motor that drives the prescribed dosage of the drug into my body constantly 24/7, 365 days a year, so no chance of me missing any. the size of the motor is around the size of a mobile phone, but i forgot to ask how big the drug carrier is :( to say im nervous of having this catheter inserted is scaring the c**p out of me. was told yesterday i will never be able to go swimming, so god knows how i will be able to take a shower or bath again i havent a clue. right now i feel like my life is just being taken over by this condition :(

Slowhand
08-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I`m so sorry to hear what you are going through right now Mick.
I don`t really know what else to say but you know that we are all here for you. :pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust:

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I`m so sorry to hear what you are going through right now Mick.
I don`t really know what else to say but you know that we are all here for you. :pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust:

thx terry i appreciate you just replying to the thread, you have said enough already no need to say more :)

arkvilla
08-06-2010, 09:59 AM
My dad had throat cancer and had to have his voicebox removed so he breathed through a hole in his neck, which he couldn't get wet at all otherwise he would have drowned..

He lived 18 years with that and towards the last few years he also had heart problems, had a mini stroke, had a pacemaker fitted but we lost him to a heart attack brought on by a clot 3 years ago now.

All I'm saying Mick is that at leat you're here. I know how scared you are - I will NEVER forget the day my dad had his voicebox removed - I almost fainted when I saw him - it was gruesome - BUT... the human mind and body are very powerful and wonderfu - we can adjust and adapt and learn to live with what we are dealt.

Please, please be positive - it will be half your battle and help you win the war

I'll say prayers for you :hug2:

Sandra

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 10:17 AM
i was also told by the hypertension nurse that i have to go in for training on how to change the dosage as and when they want me to and that can last from 1 day - 3 weeks, it just depends on how quick i pick it up, and how confident i am doing it

My dad had throat cancer and had to have his voicebox removed so he breathed through a hole in his neck, which he couldn't get wet at all otherwise he would have drowned..

He lived 18 years with that and towards the last few years he also had heart problems, had a mini stroke, had a pacemaker fitted but we lost him to a heart attack brought on by a clot 3 years ago now.

All I'm saying Mick is that at leat you're here. I know how scared you are - I will NEVER forget the day my dad had his voicebox removed - I almost fainted when I saw him - it was gruesome - BUT... the human mind and body are very powerful and wonderfu - we can adjust and adapt and learn to live with what we are dealt.

Please, please be positive - it will be half your battle and help you win the war

I'll say prayers for you :hug2:

Sandra

i always try to be positive sandra but you know that can be very hard when you are told badish news, it will take some time to sink in. who knows how i will feel after that, that is anyone's guess, i will just have to wait and see

Tink
08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Good grief, Mick. :hug2: It's all a bit overwhelming right now, isn't it?

OK, a friend of mine has a port (not for the same reasons, though) and she's come to incorporate it her life pretty well.

You'll have to ask your doctor about all the showering, bathing stuff though! You can't adjust to something if you don't know how to work with it, eh?

It's stupid to tell you not to worry, so I won't. I'll just join you in the worry, 'cause that's what I do best. :sigh:

So, for you my old friend... :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :hug2:

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Good grief, Mick. :hug2: It's all a bit overwhelming right now, isn't it?

OK, a friend of mine has a port (not for the same reasons, though) and she's come to incorporate it her life pretty well.

You'll have to ask your doctor about all the showering, bathing stuff though! You can't adjust to something if you don't know how to work with it, eh?

It's stupid to tell you not to worry, so I won't. I'll just join you in the worry, 'cause that's what I do best. :sigh:

So, for you my old friend... :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :hug2:

it certainly is tink right now for sure, everything that is thrust upon us that you dont fully understand is scary at first.

i try keep to keep telling myself, just thank your lucky stars its not terminal cancer, and least this condition is treatable although not curable. but its so, so hard right now. im on my own, no one to talk to about it, and im just glad i can with you guys. you are all just great and i love you all you just couldnt ask for better friends :hug2::hug2:

oh and one good thing is

I CAN FLY STILL WITH IT :D

Tink
08-06-2010, 10:42 AM
There's our Mick!!! See? Find the bright glimmer amidst the scary bits, eh? :yes:

Is there no counseling available for the condition, Mick? I mean heck, there is counseling for diabetes, there should be something available for such a life altering illness as your's? :unsure:

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
There's our Mick!!! See? Find the bright glimmer amidst the scary bits, eh? :yes:

Is there no counseling available for the condition, Mick? I mean heck, there is counseling for diabetes, there should be something available for such a life altering illness as your's? :unsure:

oh heck yeah, i dont know what id do if i couldnt visit your shores again.

there is a body that i can be in contact with, they have annual meetings etc i was told when i was first diagnosed. the nurse said with the info she is going to send me she will also send a telephone number of a patient who is on a similar drug but using one of the two pieces of equipment i can chose from. so i might give them a call as and when i get it so see how they cope with it/

its not all cut and dried yet tho i have still go to get the funding in place to pay for it all. so :figers:for that as well

catrancher
08-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Aw jeez, Mick! I'm so sorry to hear this. Here's a boatload of PD for you:

:pdust: :pixiedust: :pdust: :pixiedust: :pdust:

Now, try to relax, put it out of your mind for a bit, and go fishing!

Tom (:macwave:... hope it all comes out OK for you!)

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 11:04 AM
thx tom. much appreciated.....i wish i could go off fishing today i can tell you. im just resting up the area where the camera and other stuff went in as i dont want to do anything silly and start it bleeding as its in an artery and dont want to bleed to death. its hard enough stopping the blood flow from a small cut on your finger so you get what i mean...makes yer eyes water i can tell ya ;)

Tinkfan
08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
:hug2::pixiedust::pixiedust:Saying prayers.:yes:

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 11:29 AM
:hug2::pixiedust::pixiedust:Saying prayers.:yes:

thx trish :hug2:

uscwest
08-06-2010, 12:06 PM
OMG, Mick, so sorry that you have to go through all of this. Is there any hope on the horizon that they might come up with some other solution or are they considering this to be permanent. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. :hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2::pixiedust::pixiedust::pix iedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust :

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 12:12 PM
OMG, Mick, so sorry that you have to go through all of this. Is there any hope on the horizon that they might come up with some other solution or are they considering this to be permanent. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. :hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2::pixiedust::pixiedust::pix iedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust :

thx john appreciate it :hug2:

well medical science never stands still so i always live in hope that there will be a tablet form of something else with lttle or no side effects. saying that i take one tablet that has side effects but its in no way distressing or makes you uncomfortable so :fingers: crossed

foreverducky
08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Oh gosh! I'm sorry! It's hard when we feel like we are not in control of our bodies, not to mention our lives! Knowledge is key. Write down all your questions so you don't forget. The more knowledge we have the more in control we usually feel. :hug2:

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Oh gosh! I'm sorry! It's hard when we feel like we are not in control of our bodies, not to mention our lives! Knowledge is key. Write down all your questions so you don't forget. The more knowledge we have the more in control we usually feel. :hug2:

thx ducky :hug2:

they are sending me a lot of info, photos of the equipment etc so i know what to expect. hope i pick it up quick, dont want to spend upto three weeek in hospital with no visitors, blow that

Tinkfan
08-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Would the equipment be similar to a diabetic pump?

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Would the equipment be similar to a diabetic pump?

i havent seen one yet trish. all i know is its the size of a mobile phone

Isafari
08-06-2010, 02:23 PM
:hug1: wish I could give you the hug in person Mick! I can't imagine how hard it is to come to terms with what's going to happen and the worry of how you're going to manage......but you will. Hopefully you will feel better for it all and quickly get used to the situation.

Always here x

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 02:28 PM
:hug1: wish I could give you the hug in person Mick! I can't imagine how hard it is to come to terms with what's going to happen and the worry of how you're going to manage......but you will. Hopefully you will feel better for it all and quickly get used to the situation.

Always here x

thx diane

i know :hug2:

MystikPiglit
08-06-2010, 03:08 PM
:comfort: :pixiedust:

oh and one good thing is

I CAN FLY STILL WITH IT :D

Well there you are, that bit of Disney Magic to keep hold of. :yes:

lisaw
08-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Really sorry the news wasn't better Mick :hug2: Hope you get the new medication soon so you know what you are dealing with.

josh.p.
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
:pixiedust: As hard as it may be... focus on the positives.

You can fly with it! :yes: :hug2:

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 03:29 PM
:comfort: :pixiedust:

Well there you are, that bit of Disney Magic to keep hold of. :yes:

i know, but its just a spec of light at the end of a tunnel right now, but something to maybe look forward to in the not too distant future :D

Really sorry the news wasn't better Mick :hug2: Hope you get the new medication soon so you know what you are dealing with.

thx lisa :hug2:

1stly have to wait to see if i get funding :fingers:

:pixiedust: As hard as it may be... focus on the positives.

You can fly with it! :yes: :hug2:

im trying my hardest mate dont worry :)

Shellyamc
08-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Well I don't have anything fancy to say that hasn't already been said. Its just bad news..not as bad as it could be..but nothing fun either. Just stay strong and know that there are tons of people all over the world thinking about you :hug2: We are here if you need anything at all..well..except a trip to WDW..I'm not paying for that ;)

Mags
08-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Im so sorry Mick. I hope that the new treatment works for you and that life somehow becomes a little easier. x

Margaret

Britchick
08-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear that Mick :hug2:

daveann
08-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Sorry to read this Mick :( hope everything works out :hug2:

kazzaqld
08-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Mick you are in my thoughts!

It is scary - but I know you, you'll be your cheery self soon.

You'll cope, I know you will.

Lots of :pdust: for you, my friend!

ukwdwnut
08-06-2010, 10:39 PM
thx all i really appreciate your kind words :hug2::hug2: to all of you

Rosie0610
10-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Lots of :hug2: for you!

ukwdwnut
10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Lots of :hug2: for you!

thanks rosie :hug2::hug2:

SleepinCatz
10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
:hug2: :pdust::pdust::pdust: All I have and more my friend. Please know that we are all always here to talk to. :hug2::hug2::hug2: I have every confidence this will all go smoothly for you. :hug2::hug2::hug2:

Deb
11-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey mate, just caught up with this. What can I say? Not a lot, but I am thinking of you lots and sending tons of :hug2::hug2::hug2: and :pixiedust:
And like the others, will be here for you x

ukwdwnut
11-06-2010, 11:14 AM
:hug2: :pdust::pdust::pdust: All I have and more my friend. Please know that we are all always here to talk to. :hug2::hug2::hug2: I have every confidence this will all go smoothly for you. :hug2::hug2::hug2:

thx catz

Hey mate, just caught up with this. What can I say? Not a lot, but I am thinking of you lots and sending tons of :hug2::hug2::hug2: and :pixiedust:
And like the others, will be here for you x

you have said enough by posting which i appreciate deb. it means a lot that every one who has, has :)

Dorothy
11-06-2010, 02:01 PM
You know that you've got all my love and prayers Mick :hug2: :hug2:

ukwdwnut
11-06-2010, 02:08 PM
You know that you've got all my love and prayers Mick :hug2: :hug2:

i know dorothy and thank you :hug2::hug2:

ukwdwnut
11-06-2010, 02:21 PM
well ive got the info from the hospital about the pump etc. im goig for the larger of the two pump as there isnt a syringe hanging out the bottom of that one like the smaller one.

the catheter thats inserted into my chest goes 16cm, 6 1/2" deep into my chest not under the skin and across :shocked: the worst thing im defo not looking forward to is the local anaesthetic, i hate needles with a vengeance

ive also just got off the phone to another patient who has the same condition as me and just had it fitted and he told me you dont even know its there, if he didnt have the pump hanging round his neck you dont notice it, so thats made me feel a bit better, also he sounds a heck of a lot worse than me, so i guess i also have that to be grateful for too.

so all i have to do now is make a date i want to go in, its for around 2 weeks he said he was in for (not good :( )

Isafari
11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
:hug2: we'll be there with you in spirit step by step.

Deafjeff
11-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Will think of you and if you like I can light a candle when you need strength and support

Tink
11-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Two weeks, Mick? :sorry: :hug2: We'll be there. You might not see us, but you will feel us surrounding you and staying by you every inch of the way. :hug2:

I think lighting a candle is a wonderful idea. :yes:

ukwdwnut
11-06-2010, 10:38 PM
thanks everyone. once again you have shown how much you all care that have posted. you are all amazing people :hug2::hug2::hug2:

Tinkfan
12-06-2010, 02:06 AM
:hug2:We'll pester you so much online that you'll be glad to be rid of us!!You won't be alone at all. Saying prayers!:yes:

ukwdwnut
12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
:hug2:We'll pester you so much online that you'll be glad to be rid of us!!You won't be alone at all. Saying prayers!:yes:

you can pester all you want i wont be online in hospital :lol:

Debbie2
12-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear your news from the hospital, Mick. It's always a shock when you find out things have to change but you will be surprised how quickly you adapt. DS14 had a central line in for some time for medication. I was terrified but in no time at all it didn't phase me - I'm sure you will be the same. Just remember it's for the best - the docs know what they're doing :hug2:

Tink
12-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Speaking of your son Debbie2, how is he doing?

ukwdwnut
15-06-2010, 12:53 AM
im looking to get booked in for the 12th of july 1st week of summer hols looks like it will be a 2 week stay :(

ukwdwnut
15-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Sorry to hear your news from the hospital, Mick. It's always a shock when you find out things have to change but you will be surprised how quickly you adapt. DS14 had a central line in for some time for medication. I was terrified but in no time at all it didn't phase me - I'm sure you will be the same. Just remember it's for the best - the docs know what they're doing :hug2:

thx debbie :hug2: hope your DS is ok

Tinker
15-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Mick ... I just read this , I am so very sorry to read of this . You know how much you mean to me and you have always made me laugh . I will keep you in my prayers . Sending loads of luck & :pdust::pdust::pdust:
Jimminey is off work this evening and understands what it is not to be able to get a full breath or cough till you vomit . He has broken ribs from coughing . He also sends his best wishes and :pdust::pdust::pdust:

ukwdwnut
15-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Mick ... I just read this , I am so very sorry to read of this . You know how much you mean to me and you have always made me laugh . I will keep you in my prayers . Sending loads of luck & :pdust::pdust::pdust:
Jimminey is off work this evening and understands what it is not to be able to get a full breath or cough till you vomit . He has broken ribs from coughing . He also sends his best wishes and :pdust::pdust::pdust:

thx tinker :hug2:

oh the coughing drives me insane, makes me vomit too. i dont think i could stand that for the rest of my natural....sometimes the whole thing just does my head in, it really does..its hard as i have to put on a brave face here, its ok they say yeah we understand, but they dont really no one can unless they experience it themselves. i try and stay positive but its very hard sometimes, not being able to do what you want or used to do :(

one thing i dont do is look for sympathyfrom my family or anyone really just a bit of consideration at home knowing i cant always do what they want me to do

tell Jimminey thx, much appreciated :)

Skywatcher
15-06-2010, 09:51 AM
:( so sorry to have missed this

Sorry Mick :sigh:

ukwdwnut
15-06-2010, 11:36 AM
:( so sorry to have missed this

Sorry Mick :sigh:

thats ok chris no worries at all, you definitely dont have to say sorry mate :)

Tinkfan
15-06-2010, 11:39 AM
thx tinker :hug2:

oh the coughing drives me insane, makes me vomit too. i dont think i could stand that for the rest of my natural....sometimes the whole thing just oes my head it, it really does..its hard as i have to put on a brave face here, its ok they say yeah we understand, but they dont really no one can unless they experience it themselves. i try and stay positive but its very hard sometimes, not being able to do what you want or used to do :(

one thing i dont do is look for sympathyfrom my family or anyone really just a bit of consideration at home knowing i cant always do what they want me to do

What do you miss the most Mick? I miss running and not being able to be as active anymore. Everything tires me out . It's hard to stay positive isn't it when you know there are things that need doing.Will be praying for a quick recovery and hoping it will be better than you expect.:yes:

ukwdwnut
15-06-2010, 12:09 PM
What do you miss the most Mick? I miss running and not being able to be as active anymore. Everything tires me out . It's hard to stay positive isn't it when you know there are things that need doing.Will be praying for a quick recovery and hoping it will be better than you expect.:yes:

i miss just being able to walk without getting breathless. i really miss doing the carpentry, last thing i did was fit my kitchen, thats out the window now too exhausting doing that. when at disney the rides, im a ride junkie i have to do everything :lol:

getting people in to decorate for me and watching them do an inferior job that id do. the caretaker at the school is one, wifes friend painted over my finished woodwork that had its last coat already so i had to do it again...its never ending :lol:

ukwdwnut
19-06-2010, 09:50 AM
funding has been approved for the equipment and the drugs so ive booked to go in on the 12th july, well ive go to get my new car on the 6th 1st havent i . its the 1st 2 weeks of the school holiday so it gives me 7 weeks to get used to it before we go back.

Isafari
19-06-2010, 10:54 AM
funding has been approved for the equipment and the drugs so ive booked to go in on the 12th july, well ive go to get my new car on the 6th 1st havent i . its the 1st 2 weeks of the school holiday so it gives me 7 weeks to get used to it before we go back.

:hug2: you'll have a little taster of your new car which you've waited so long for before you have the op - then you'll be so eager to get back to it that recovery will hopefully take no time at all.
Just know we will all be thinking of you when the time comes and are here for you before, after and during the hospital stay. :hug2:

ukwdwnut
19-06-2010, 11:35 AM
:hug2: you'll have a little taster of your new car which you've waited so long for before you have the op - then you'll be so eager to get back to it that recovery will hopefully take no time at all.
Just know we will all be thinking of you when the time comes and are here for you before, after and during the hospital stay. :hug2:

thx diane :hug2:

recovery isnt the problem that takes time its the training with the pump, programming it, getting the drug in without bubbles. mixing the drug right as its in powder form etc

am looking forward to getting the car tho thats for sure ;)

Tinkfan
19-06-2010, 12:48 PM
:hug2: I think that it will be easier than you think it will be. Do you have anyone living at home with you to help?

ukwdwnut
19-06-2010, 12:49 PM
:hug2: I think that it will be easier than you think it will be. Do you have anyone living at home with you to help?

yeah the OH and kids, cant ask them tho

tbh id rather do it myself...less hassle :lol:

Tinkfan
19-06-2010, 01:07 PM
yeah the OH and kids, cant ask them tho

tbh id rather do it myself...less hassle :lol:

OH ? What does OH stand for?

ukwdwnut
19-06-2010, 02:18 PM
OH ? What does OH stand for?

other half :)

mainecoon lover
19-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear your news hun :hug2:

Dorothy
20-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Mick hun, just remember that if they didn't have new these new treatments and medications you would probably end up in worse shape than you are.

So hang in there, we're all here for you :hug2:

ukwdwnut
20-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Mick hun, just remember that if they didn't have new these new treatments and medications you would probably end up in worse shape than you are.

So hang in there, we're all here for you :hug2:

if they didnt have the treaments im currently on i could be dead now, they gave me 2-5yrs without them, its now been 4yrs. so im grateful for everyday i have :yes:

i know hun and thx :hug2::hug2: