PDA

View Full Version : Jamies bike's been stolen

mumof2
14-06-2010, 07:49 PM
On Saturday the lad along the road borrowed Jamies bike to ride to work on, he locked it to a drainpipe in the back yard, and the gate to the yard was locked.

He left it there at 4pm, came out at 6.30pm and the bike wasn't there.

Long story follows so read slowly......

At around 5pm another lad who lives over the back from us saw a toe-rag with a bike that he recognised as Jamies. He also recognised the toe-rag but went home to check with his older brother who it was.

The toe-rag (I'm being very restrained here) used to be a first school with Jamie and was always a little ****

The information was then passed to us by the brothers and I reported it to the police.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Today Jamie and the lad along the road who had borrowed the bike went to the local second hand bike shop (which happens to be across the road to the right a little from where the toe-rag lives) to see whether anyone had been in to try and sell it to them.
They took all details and our telephone number should it appear at their shop, they have a whole book of stolen bikes to look out for.
Whilst discussing the bike the owner asked to Jamie if it have a particular type of handle bars not supplied as standard on that model. Jamie confirmed it did and the man pointed to the toe-rags house and said heíd seen it outside that house on Saturday afternoon or evening, he couldnít be sure of the time. He noticed it because it was unusual.
He also gave information of 2 second hand shops that are known (not to us!) to sell stolen goods.
I reported this update to the police. They have called to make an appointment for tomorrow evening at 8pm to take a statement.
Meanwhile, they have all this info but because itís not proof they canít go and knock on his door and pick him up.
We saw him out and about (minus the bike) yesterday, but unfortunately because procedure has to be followed the chances of him selling the bike on before they get to him are very high. It may have even gone already.
You just know what I would like to do donít you.......<o:p></o:p>

keith
14-06-2010, 07:52 PM
You just know what I would like to do donít you.......

It's one of those things that really makes me mad, why scumbags think they have the right to steal someone's hard earned possessions. It's those of us who follow the law who always get the short stick isnt it :(

Got to be hard for the police too when they know there's a criminal around but can't do anything until they get the evidence

:hug2: to you and Jamie :( it's not just the stuff, it's feeling violated and abused without any recourse isnt it

mumof2
14-06-2010, 07:56 PM
absolutely Keith. He is known to the police already, they are going to know from everything that's happened and been said that it IS him that took it, but without the proof.....

The lock had been broken clean off and without thinking the lad just threw it in the bin...he was in shock i think!

It would have been good evidence with the finger prints on it but sods law the bin was emptied this morning!

mumof2
14-06-2010, 07:57 PM
oh and it's a bl**dy decent bike too......

Tinker
14-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I am so sorry for Jamie . And agree with Keith completely . Back in the day, kids would have had their fingers broken by their parents for stealing . Well, maybe not that abusive, but we'd get a good spanking .
Can the police talk to the second hand bike owner that witnessed the lad with the bike . Where as the police could tell this so & so lad, that they have facts that he took it and scare him into the confession .

Tinkfan
14-06-2010, 08:48 PM
:nono: So sorry Mairead ( and jamie)Lord if someone took home something that didn't belong to them when I was a kid, their parents would have gone ballistic. Not covered for them. :thumbsdown:

Tinker
14-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Exactly, Tinkfan ! I'd had marched Pat's hindend right up to the police station .

littleangel
14-06-2010, 09:00 PM
totally :yes:

Johnie
14-06-2010, 11:44 PM
oh no hon, I'd be upset too :hug2::hug2:

Tink
14-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Wow, Mairead that's just flat out wrong. So, the police couldn't call around and have a nosey? They need some sort of proof? :unsure: Isn't Jaime's Da a policeman? :unsure:

What is a toe rag? :unsure:

I sure hope the boy gets his bike back, and without damage. :hug2:

Tinkfan
15-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Wow, Mairead that's just flat out wrong. So, the police couldn't call around and have a nosey? They need some sort of proof? :unsure: Isn't Jaime's Da a policeman? :unsure:

What is a toe rag? :unsure:

I sure hope the boy gets his bike back, and without damage. :hug2:

I would take a guess and say a worthless pice of junk!! :yes:But Mairead will clarify I'm sure SisterTink!

Beccaberry
15-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Mairead, I'm so sorry :hug2:

Injustice is one of the hardest things by far to tolerate isn't it...

Hope something get's sorted soon.

mumof2
15-06-2010, 06:12 AM
toe-rag - The definition derives from old England where convicts used to tie bits of shirt around their toes and feet as a make shift sock, hence "toe rag" means scoundrel, criminal, thief, indencent/unlawful person etc. It is sometimes seen spelt Tow Rag because the original context has long since been obsolete.

mumof2
15-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Trouble is that if the police (yes Tink hubby is one) go round there with no proof he would just deny it and get rid asap.

Hubby did make a few enquiries yesterday whilst at work but didn't come up with anything. I think the info from the lad over the back, plus the enquiries the boys made yesterday are half the job done.

All they need now is proof.

The fact that the bike shop owner saw a bike 'like' Jamies is not proof that it actually was his, same goes for the info from the lad who saw him with a bike 'like' jamies.

What we need is for the police to see him on it or with it, or for him to admit he took it....and that's not going to happen.

Tink
15-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Thank you for the definition! :yes: I did get the general impression that toe rag was not a good thing, but having the background for the term helps. Here there is a term, "do rag" that refers to a tight scarflike head covering worn by some. 'Do being a reference to Hairdo... so I was kind of picturing this little scarf thing on someone's toe! :lol: Rather like you describe after all.

Ah, I see. I was hoping the police could pay a visit and have a look around the theif's premises, but not without better evidence, eh?

How is Jaime doing? He must be pretty upset. :(

mumof2
15-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Thank you for the definition! :yes: I did get the general impression that toe rag was not a good thing, but having the background for the term helps. Here there is a term, "do rag" that refers to a tight scarflike head covering worn by some. 'Do being a reference to Hairdo... so I was kind of picturing this little scarf thing on someone's toe! :lol: Rather like you describe after all.

Ah, I see. I was hoping the police could pay a visit and have a look around the theif's premises, but not without better evidence, eh?

How is Jaime doing? He must be pretty upset. :(

erm, what time is it for you Tink :unsure: .....bed time?

Jamie is ok, just annoyed really. the lad who borrowed it is going to give him the money to cover a new one. i do feel rotten about that, but he is 20 and working, and was responsible for it i guess. If he hadn't borrowed it the bike would have been safely tucked away in the garage instead of in his yard at work so fair's fair i guess.

trouble is I kow if they could act faster we'd have had a good chance of getting it back so he wouldn't have to pay out for it. I know he feels really awful about it.

ah well, live and learn....

Tink
15-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm sorry, I keep spelling Jamie's name incorrectly. :(

At least the boy who borrowed it is making good. He must feel pretty bad that it happened when he had the bike. I know I would.

It's early here. Woke at 2:30. Gotta' love my sleep "habit" huh? :sigh:

mumof2
15-06-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm sorry, I keep spelling Jamie's name incorrectly. :(

At least the boy who borrowed it is making good. He must feel pretty bad that it happened when he had the bike. I know I would.

It's early here. Woke at 2:30. Gotta' love my sleep "habit" huh? :sigh:

oh i know that habit well :hug2: thankfully i'm out of it at the moment! my time was always 3.30-4am ish and that was me wide awake!

Skywatcher
15-06-2010, 07:40 AM
:hug2:

ukwdwnut
15-06-2010, 09:04 AM
omg what a scumbag...sorry to hear that M hope someone sees him on it follows him then takes it back if he leaves it or something like that.

Kate
15-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Oh no thats terrible, Jamie must be feeling lost without his bike :sigh:

Kids have no respect for possessions these days, they see something, they want it, they get it - some of them just see everyone elses things as theirs to take - its sad that they dont realise that they need to earn to get these things. It makes me cross.

wishesandpixiedust
15-06-2010, 09:46 AM
so terrible :hug2: to you both I hope he gets it back

mumof2
15-06-2010, 06:44 PM
got the police coming shortly to have a chat with jamie and steve (the lad who borrowed the bike)

they are thinking that if they go round he'll get rid of it sharpish, i think they're hoping to catch him with it. on the other hand he may have already got rid anyway....swings and roundabouts. :thumbsdown:

josh.p.
15-06-2010, 07:07 PM
:sigh: what is the world coming too :sigh:

Tinker
15-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Hope they are able to do something . Sending you & Jamie loads of :pdust::pdust::pdust: Let us know how you get on . :hug2:

mumof2
15-06-2010, 07:25 PM
well, he's almost half hour late so far.

Tinker
15-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Terrible when the police can not keep a scheduled appointment .

mumof2
15-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Terrible when the police can not keep a scheduled appointment .

he was called out on an emergency apparently, will come tomorrow sometime after 4pm which i initially agreed to but having now spoken to hubby who is at work this evening he said the officer should not have broken away from the appointment so i am now going to ring and say i need a firm time.

it's not fair to keep the boys hanging around again after they cancelled their plans for this evening to see the officer.

Tinker
15-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I totally agree . I understand emergencies happen , but do they need the whole police force . This just upsets me terribly .

mumof2
15-06-2010, 09:16 PM
I totally agree . I understand emergencies happen , but do they need the whole police force . This just upsets me terribly .

it was an assistance call so a unit must have been in trouble....i phoned and said i needed a firm appointment and the sergeant i spoke to didn't sound too happy that our appoinment was missed.....oops!

josh.p.
15-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd be disapointed with that, too :sigh: I do understand there are certain things that need to be done by the police but surely they shouldn't book appointments knowing they will be 'on-call' so-to-speak.

mumof2
16-06-2010, 06:16 AM
well now he was naughty and shouldn't have gone to the assistance shout, they have the response officers and on a rota one of them has appointment days.

I didn't realise until hubby said last night that under no circumstances should they miss the appointments allocated for them on that day.

as i said, the sergeant didn't sound too happy and i think she'll be having words with him!

and on a side note, you'd be surprised how few officers there are available sometimes.....on a busy shift they are tied up for hours on interviewing paperwork and although they can sometimes break away from it, it's not always possible.

mumof2
18-06-2010, 05:06 PM
At last a PC has been round!

He was nice and i much preferred waiting for him than have the original one. I have spoken to him before and didn't like him!

Anyway, Jamie and his friend who borrowed the bike have given their statements. The PC now needs to get one from the lad who saw the thieving **** with Jamies bike, then as long as the custody segeant ok's it he can go and arrest the thief.

The lad who saw him is only 13 and feels uncomfortable about speaking to the police although he already did so unofficially! His Mum and I think he's worried about retaliation from the lad who stole it.

I said that if he's worried about speaking out and really doesn't want to do so then I don't want him to be forced into it. i don't think for one minute that we'll get the bike back now anyway, but i would dearly love that horrible thieving little git to be picked up......

mumof2
25-07-2010, 10:59 AM
though i would update you on the shoddy work!

after taking the statements the lad who saw the thief with Jamies bike went to the police station to view photos, i was told he didn't identify the thief.....i asked if his picture was in there and was told it wasn't even in the line up!!!!!!

i was told they couldn't do a 2nd one because it would be unfair on the suspect, and lack of evidence was being spouted again so i was naturally very, very angry and had words with the officer but nothing further could be done......

fast foward to the week we were camping, somebody called in to say 2 lads were running off with a bike that had a padlock attached to it. One was picked up and he 'grassed' his mate up...guess who it was?! So he was arrested and bailed 'til 28th of this month whilst they in investigated other bike thefts, including Jamies.

Well, what a complete mess! The officer who dealt with it has filed the case as undetected, but hasn't filed the statements he took from the boys. he is now on leave til the same day the thief is due in, so they are now having to try and gather the statements yet again....absolutely ridiculous, lord only knows what he did with the original ones.

they will have to go back to the lad who saw the thief now too and try and get him to identify him, this time they will include him in it which is always helpful!

i am disgusted by the way it's been handled, absolutely disgraceful....if we didn't have hubby working there and knowing what was happening we wouldn't have a clue how badly it'd been dealt with would we?

lozzy
25-07-2010, 11:58 AM
OMG what a complete mess up this has turned out to be, and why is it that some people just don't do the job they are paid to do?????
Fingers crossed it gets sorted out.

mumof2
25-07-2010, 01:28 PM
thank you lozzy, i just want to go in there and tell them what to do so they can get him!

Isafari
25-07-2010, 05:08 PM
How frustrating :thumbsdown:

Tink
27-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow. Thank heaven it's not a murder they are investigating. :(

Kate
27-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Good grief!! I cant believe the boys photo wasnt in there for him to identify - even though his name was put forward, thats just absolute rubbish!!!!

mumof2
27-07-2010, 11:21 AM
you know, it's so ridiculous i was flabbergasted! the thief is due back in tomorrow so we'll see what happens then.....

Tinkfan
27-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Good grief!! I cant believe the boys photo wasnt in there for him to identify - even though his name was put forward, thats just absolute rubbish!!!!
:slap:What was the point then?

mumof2
27-07-2010, 11:23 AM
:slap:What was the point then?

oh, it was an IT error apparently.......yeah right.

the reason i asked if the photo was there is because i was so surprised the lad who went to identify him hadn't picked him out.

Tinker
28-07-2010, 05:15 AM
What A Crock ! Hope the kid gets what he has coming to him .