PDA

View Full Version : The Plaza Restaurant - MK

gwennie81
16-06-2010, 04:24 AM
So...I was at MK when dinnertime rolled around. I had been unsuccessful at getting a rez at Tony's so I originally thought I'd just get a wrap at Pecos Bill's. However, I was in the castle vicinity so...thought I'd try the Plaza.

I walked up to the counter and was promptly cut off by a family of 8. However, only 4 of them were present and the CM told them ALL of their party would have to be there in order to reserve a table. They scurried off to make calls on their cell phones so I stepped up and said, "Table for one, please." I was given my pager.

There was a show going on in front of the castle which I could kinda see from my vantage point, but I was having more fun watching the people walking in front of the restaurant.

The building the restaurant is in, the facade is being cleaned, painted, whatever, so it's all partitioned off. Except up in one window, there is a window sign that says, "Walt Disney, School of Master Planning". I had to take a picture of that since I'm a city planner and total admirer of Walt and his vision.

Anyway, with minimal 5-10 minute wait, I was seated at an intimate table for 5. There are only ~20 tables in the whole restaurant and there were a couple 2 or 3 tops open so, I don't know why I was seated at the 5 top. But anyway, it is very beautiful inside. Old-timey turn of the century. Gold mirrors, fancy scroll work...that's pretty much where the enjoyment ended for me.

(TBC)

gwennie81
16-06-2010, 04:35 AM
PART 2

I'm pretty sure my waitress was high. She didn't have a small napkin with her for a drink coaster (I don't care about those things) and she weirdly apologized and scooted another dinner napkin over to me.

I went ahead and ordered because I had been sitting there for some time before she made it over to me. Waitress tried to push their "famous" milkshakes, floats, and malts" on me but, I wasn't REALLY all that hungry. I ordered a water and basically a chicken cordon bleu sandwich (chicken breast, ham, and swiss on flour-dusted sourdough bun).

When she brought my water out (finally) she set the glass on the big napkin, but then placed a small napkin on the table as well and giggled that she had found a small napkin. I smiled and said thanks but in my head I was thinking "Whatever, weirdo...."

Meanwhile a party of eight was seated. It took them a while to #1, make it the 10 feet from the door to the table, #2, get seated, and #3 get up, change places and then get reseated with 4 adults at one table and the 4 kids at the other. After about 5 minutes of discussion and playing with all the newly placed silverware and other things on the table, they got up and left. The hostess and head waitress were left incredulously to wonder until one of the nearby guests said, "I heard them say they didn't like the food." Now, I'm sorry, but there is a menu posted outside they could've looked at prior to being seated. The waitstaff then had to replace and wipe down every single thing on that table.

My sandwich finally came out, accompanied by a superior broccoli slaw (I could've just eaten a whole plate of THAT). There was no sauce or dressing on the sandwich. The best they had to offer was yellow mustard so, whatever. Yellow mustard it was. I must say that the chicken breast was perfectly cooked. No complaints about THAT. And the restaurant was air-conditioned. BONUS.

Final recommendations, unless you REALLY like $11 sandwiches or over-priced milkshakes I'd skip this eatery. It was nice to experience once. And now I'm done.

Tink
16-06-2010, 07:33 AM
We've never been here. Never could get in, and obviously never bothered to make an ADR.

We've only ever eaten in counter service places in the MK.

Thanks for the review! It sounds like an odd sort of little place...

lisaw
16-06-2010, 08:52 AM
We have eaten there a couple of times and have really enjoyed it - we tend to go on one of the last days of a long trip and the simple and relatively cheap meals are welcomed! It is lovely and cool in there as well and makes a nice break from a long day at MK :yes:

Tink
16-06-2010, 09:05 AM
What sort of things have you had to eat there, Lisa?

Beccaberry
16-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Gwennie, thanks for the review...I laughed out loud in a few places! Not sure if your review convinced me TO visit the Plaza for its quirkiness or NOT to visit based mediocrity. Either way, THANKS :thumbsup:

uscwest
16-06-2010, 12:07 PM
We have eaten at the Plaza Restaurant a couple of times and have always had a pleasant meal.

catrancher
16-06-2010, 12:11 PM
My DW and I have eaten there and really enjoyed it! We had the stereotypical burger, fries and milkshake but all of it was outstanding! :yes:

The portions were quite big. In fact, one time we were seated next to a table with a very nice French couple. They enjoyed their meal it seemed and then ordered a sundae for dessert. When the server brought it, the gentleman's eyes got huge, he looked over to me and said with a perfect French accent, "you have so much!" I just laughed!

Sorry about your waitress Gwennie! That certainly wasn't representative of the service we received!

Tom (:macwave:... where shall we eat next?)

disney1sttimer
16-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Where abouts is it please? I think it sounds quite cool :lol:

Poohtle
16-06-2010, 12:48 PM
We have eaten lunch there twice and really like it. We did have a bit of a ditsy waitress last time and we were seated right by the swing doors out from the kitchen, but other than that the food and atmosphere was great. We had the same choices each time, me the Strawberry chicken salad and handmade chips, which is yummy and huge, and John the beefcheese sandwich thing and fries, which he loved.

We also hit the time the Town Mayor and a rather loud lady come in and chat and give a free dessert to the 100th customer. Missed that both times!!!! Very amusing though.

What an annoying family that was.

Isafari
16-06-2010, 02:32 PM
We have eaten there a few times and enjoyed the meal. Meals are simple but pleasant.
We were waiting for our meal to arrive when the manager came out from the kitchen area and asked the family on the table next to us what they were celebrating - "nothing"
He then came to us and asked the same question. DH told him we were celebrating our silver wedding anniversary that trip. We were congratulated before he moved to the next table etc.

Half way through out meal, the kitchen door opens, five waiters/waitresses come out singing Happy Anniversary while heading for our table. They present us with a Mickey and Minnie set of wedding ear hats and everyone starts cheering for us! The hats were placed on our heads and we finished our meal with red faces but also had a good giggle about it.

Beccaberry
16-06-2010, 02:54 PM
GOTTA LOVE THAT DISNEY MAGIC!

Tinker
16-06-2010, 03:37 PM
We have never eaten here although curious . Is it TS or QS ? Thank You for the review gwennie !

Tinkfan
16-06-2010, 05:49 PM
We've eaten there as well and really enjoyed our meal, it's just sandwiches, salads and soup basically. But everything we had was fresh and good. Of course the ice-cream doesn't hurt either. Sorry you had such a ditz Gwennie. They do offer mayo for your sandwich, what did ou want on it?

Tinkfan
16-06-2010, 05:51 PM
We have never eaten here although curious . Is it TS or QS ? Thank You for the review gwennie !
Sorry Tinker I meant to answer your question! Oddly it's TS but with QS food! It is priced reasonably and even if we're on the DP we pay OOP for this. It makes a great lunch or a lighter dinner if you've had a large breakfast.:yes:

lisaw
16-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Sorry Tinker I meant to answer your question! Oddly it's TS but with QS food! It is priced reasonably and even if we're on the DP we pay OOP for this. It makes a great lunch or a lighter dinner if you've had a large breakfast.:yes:

That is how we look at it - it doesn't cost a lot more than a CS place but withot the queuing and fighting for a table :yes:

Tink I probably had a chicken sandwich :lol: German potato salad comes to mind as well.

Johnie
16-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Never been there. :tongue: you're waitress sounds like an odd duck.

Tinker
16-06-2010, 08:31 PM
One of the places I always wanted to try . Perhaps, my friend leslie and I will give it a try in August/September . Thank You

Poohtle
16-06-2010, 08:42 PM
The banana split was VERY good too!!!:yes:

Johnie
16-06-2010, 08:44 PM
yum...can't go wrong with a banana split!