PDA

View Full Version : dealing with the florida heat

wishesandpixiedust
16-06-2010, 09:34 AM
How do you all deal with the heat in florida? I know it must sound strange to go somewhere like florida if I dont like the heat :point: but sometimes it just gets so hot and Im trying to drink water all the time but it just gets to me after a while and I get snappy :(

So is there a secret Im missing? thanks :hug2:

Tink
16-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Cool, loose fitting natural fiber clothing. A light weight hat to shade your face and eyes. Sunglasses, sunscreen on all exposed skin. However, be sure to get the non-sticky dry sort or you'll be uncomfortable with the greasiness of some. (Neutrogena makes an Ultra Dry Sun Block that is very good).

Sometimes a washcloth that you can use to wet and cool your face is helpful. Some folks even use them to wrap some ice in and lay it across their necks.

I don't like the mister fans as adding a fine mist to my body on a day with high humidity is counterproductive, however the fan part can be nice. They really aren't large enough to do much good though.

Pacing yourself, eat lightly, make good use of air conditioned attractions...

Some folks carry light colored umbrellas for constant shade...

Remember that the parks are generally 10 degrees hotter than the high temperature, so visiting in the early morning or later evening can help.

Have a change of footwear.

Make sure every single thing you have on is one hundred percent comfortable. :yes:

ukwdwnut
16-06-2010, 09:50 AM
a lot of people wear hats to protect the head from sunburn to stave off getting sunstroke.
drink plenty of water
lots of sun screen
light/loose fitting clothes
decent comfy footwear

when we go its in the high 80's and no humidity, so not really a problem for me as i love the sun :D

arkvilla
16-06-2010, 12:18 PM
It's a hard one - we always go in August and it's very hot & humid.

We try to find shade when we are waiting in the parks and try not to rush about.

There's no solution really - maybe think of the miserable cold weather here in the UK and you'll feel less snappy :-)

Eat ice cream etc and just be happy to be there

Sandra

MystikPiglit
16-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Cotton tops and socks.

I always have a fan with me and use a parasol midday. If you don't have these before you go you can buy fabulous ones in China, Epcot. :thumbsup:

Johnie
16-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Light colored clothing is a must for me. Also, I get the thinnest material for tops/shorts. I cannot do a jean material at all in that heat.

Drink lots of water!

I carry a little fan with me. I have also carried a wet wash cloth too. I keep it in a ziploc bag when not in use.

Luckily, many of the attraction lines are indoors so that helps a lot.

Britchick
16-06-2010, 08:10 PM
All of the above and I find drinking powerade helps me keep hydrated better than just water. So if I'm feeling dehydrated I have one of those.

Claire
16-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Learn to recognise the signs that you or others in your group are flagging. A break sometime during the day is a must especially for children. We found a trip back to the villa for a swim, shower and a drink was all it took to recharge our batteries and we were good to go!

wishesandpixiedust
16-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks all theyre great tips :yes: I feel a shopping spree coming on

Tinker
17-06-2010, 12:04 AM
I wear sun visors, wear light colored & lightweight clothing and drink lots of water .

robertcraig
17-06-2010, 12:42 AM
go to the parks for opening and take a break in the afternoon go to the water parks or back to your resort and return in the evening when it is cooler

Johnie
17-06-2010, 01:38 AM
they have a thing called frogg toggs. It is a cooling cloth that works pretty well.

robertcraig
26-06-2010, 09:45 PM
heat is ok if you are sitting by the pool with a cool drink