PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone.....

Deafjeff
22-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Which would you get....

White or Black.....

keith
22-06-2010, 05:34 PM
black for me :) but from what I've read, it doesnt much matter because people are buying those coloured bumpers for them anyway

Britchick
22-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Presuming my 3G cover won't fit the new one

Deafjeff
22-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Presuming my 3G cover won't fit the new one

Nope it is a different design all together.....

Skywatcher
22-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Don't think white is available if either are. But black for me

Claire
22-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I've got white now so I'd probably go for black next time.

Britchick
22-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Thinking about my baby it don't matter if it's black or white:wiggle::wiggle:

catrancher
22-06-2010, 07:39 PM
I'll take a black one please!

Thank you!

Tom (:macwave:... actually I'd take whatever I could get!)

foreverducky
22-06-2010, 07:44 PM
If it's free...then either! Who's buying?

:D

Skywatcher
22-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I expect it will be neither :lol:

ukwdwnut
23-06-2010, 08:30 AM
lauren wants the 4g in black when her contract runs out only because its now available thru orange here as well

MarkE
23-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I assume everyone interested is reading all these threads, so I won't bother starting a new one but...

Tesco mobile have announced their pricing plans for the i4 - 35 a month gets you 750 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB data, with the phone costing 230 - nothing special there - BUT it's only a 12 months contract. Making it the cheapest option by far (out of the prices already announced)...

Deafjeff
23-06-2010, 02:38 PM
mmmmhhhhhh....

Skywatcher
23-06-2010, 08:32 PM
I have a feeling there won't be many about anyway

Deafjeff
23-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Who is going first thing tomorrow?

Anyone here can give me the email address for me to email the pics of the 02 and the opening etc

keith
23-06-2010, 09:02 PM
live@wdisneysecrets.com :D

mine is on the way to me for delivery tomorrow in theory. No microsim though, orange have been beyond useless so I'll just cut my regular one up

Skywatcher
23-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I have one so you can send it to me :)

No time off tomorrow and the o2 chap says he seriously doubts they will have another delivery by Friday as apple are struggling

Hmmm. Will wait suppose

Deafjeff
23-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Have email the pic to the above address hopefully it'll work....

josh.p.
23-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm so jealous of everyone :yes: Hope you get one tomorrow jeff

keith
23-06-2010, 09:33 PM
well they're reporting yellowing on the screens and reception problems already so we'll see how well it goes eh?

YouTube - iPhone 4 Reception Issue with Holding the Phone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ixIHyEPO5g)

Same thing with imacs and that turned out ok ;-)

Deafjeff
23-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Worked out what I will be paying tomorrow.....

80 to finish off the current contact and 119 for the upgrade....

Not bad I suppose.......

MarkE
24-06-2010, 02:18 PM
The que in the apple shop in Birmingham at 1pm (theyve been open since 9) was about 300 people long +, it's out the door of the bullring shopping centre!! And all those people have pre-ordered it!!

There's even a que to just go in and look at one...

Guess I'll see one after the weekend...

keith
24-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Happy I ordered mine online from Apple! Arrived today without any queuing and all good :D

catrancher
24-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Happy I ordered mine online from Apple! Arrived today without any queuing and all good :D

And... :unsure:

Enquiring minds want to know!

Tom (:macwave:... waiting a bit!)

keith
24-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I havent had a real chance to play with it because at work there are lots of grubby little fingers all poised ready to poke and prod it. So I've just kept it away from them all :lol:

Initial impressions, feels MUCH smaller than the older ones and lighter. Whether it REALLY is *much* smaller well dunno, but it feels it in a good way!

Screen, well I looked at it and thought yeah its great but then so were the old ones so? Then I displayed photos and started comparing and yeah, the new one looks lovely, detailed and sharp. I havent seen any of the yellow patches people have complained about on some units.

Camera FAR better :) really pleased about that. Will take some later to really compare. Pretty impressed with the video too!

Speed feels very very snappy indeed! one guy has a 3G still and it's night and day different to that!!!

Other than that it's all ios4 stuff that was in 3gs anyway although I may grab imovie to try because apparently it's fantastic.

The weirdest thing is that design wise it's more like the pre-iphone phones just a slab of phone albeit it thin and yet somehow now everyone oooos at it and says it makes the other ones look old. How did they manage that ? :D

Skywatcher
24-06-2010, 03:07 PM
ok how on earth have some people pre ordered when I was told by both my local stores that was impossible :unsure:

I'm wondering if I should just let the hype die down before going in

keith
24-06-2010, 03:12 PM
ok how on earth have some people pre ordered when I was told by both my local stores that was impossible :unsure:

yeah but mine said they were accepting "under the counter" lists :( it really does seem to depend on the store and how they feel.

There's a thread on macrumors that said some stores had got over 100 and hardly any queues so there may well be some left depending on the store and its location

Skywatcher
24-06-2010, 03:15 PM
well I'll call them tomorrow and ask - I'm due a renewal soon anyway

what size did you get?

pondering 16 gb purely for video

Skywatcher
24-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Oh and I do want a review on charge times as my 3G is pretty much an old fashioned corded phone as it is plugged into the wall most of the time :lol:

Skywatcher
24-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Just rung eastbourne and they have 'just' sold their last handset - you can now check stopck levels on the o2 website and he said they may get stock tomorrow and even Saturday but he wasn't sure

:fingers:

MystikPiglit
24-06-2010, 04:24 PM
my 3G is pretty much an old fashioned corded phone as it is plugged into the wall most of the time :lol:

:lol: Oh yes....

A question please...

Any sign of the built-in advertising that Steve Jobs mentioned in his speech?

Skywatcher
24-06-2010, 04:33 PM
apart from the apple picture on the back :lol:

Britchick
24-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Just ordered a 16gb for Jon from phones 4 u, 65 cash back from quidco, 35 month for 18 months, 1gb, 300 mins and 3000 texts on vodafone. Phone 169. Bargain.

keith
24-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Ive got no one to facetime talk to! sniff

:taunt:

Skywatcher
25-06-2010, 06:42 AM
:dozey: well we'll see if I can buy one today if they have another delivery

make sure you buy a paper bag and cut two eyeholes just incase :rolleyes: :lol:

josh.p.
25-06-2010, 07:04 AM
make sure you buy a paper bag and cut two eyeholes just incase :rolleyes: :lol:
:rotfl:

Deafjeff
25-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Ive got no one to facetime talk to! sniff

:taunt:

I would offer but...... still waiting for 02 to activate the network on my iphone grrrr at the moment, it saying 'no service'

Skywatcher
25-06-2010, 07:24 AM
?????????? why did't they sort out the sim for you yesterday mate?

how is it though? is it nice and shiny?

Deafjeff
25-06-2010, 07:30 AM
sparking shiny! :yes:

It is a fab phone very fast and easy to use......

The notification i got at the moment, is something like, please wait for activation, may take a while.....

If not thing by this afternoon, will go back to 02 tomorrow with the same mood as Ben :tongue:

keith
25-06-2010, 10:06 AM
sparking shiny! :yes:

It is a fab phone very fast and easy to use......

The notification i got at the moment, is something like, please wait for activation, may take a while.....

If not thing by this afternoon, will go back to 02 tomorrow with the same mood as Ben :tongue:

I've noticed a lot of people saying that on the forums :/ mine activated instantly but perhaps that's because it's sim free

Deafjeff
25-06-2010, 01:24 PM
finally activated an hour ago yay!!!

Love the new font style so easy to read...

MarkE
25-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I hope none of you are experienceing the yellow dots or loss of signal thats being reported!! Doesn't sound good - the aerial / antenna is basically next to the speak at the bottom of the phone, and when holding the phone in your hand it's killing the reception!! Don't know if this is just specific to one network or not?

keith
25-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I hope none of you are experienceing the yellow dots or loss of signal thats being reported!! Doesn't sound good - the aerial / antenna is basically next to the speak at the bottom of the phone, and when holding the phone in your hand it's killing the reception!! Don't know if this is just specific to one network or not?

I've not seen the yellowing but the reports are that its the bond used on the glass and should clear within a few days of use :)

The reception thing isn't clear either :/ people are saying they can demo the same thing on iOS4 on a 3g/3gs as well. Don't know. I can see the cell bars on both my 3gs and 4 vary depending how I hold it and in a marginal strength area that can be enough to knock the 3gs off line I know from prior experience.

I suspect it's one of those something and nothings. Just a matter of getting used to the best way to hold it

catrancher
25-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I suspect it's one of those something and nothings. Just a matter of getting used to the best way to hold it

The other thing Apple's saying is that if you use one of the bumpers they've got for it, it completely eliminates the problem. :unsure:

I'm still sitting tight until I find out from my carrier what my options are. I've currently got the old unlimited data plan but they're telling me my contract has expired. I don't agree with that since I bought my DW her iPhone a year ago last Christmas and had to renew my 2 year contract at that point in time. I should still be under that contract and thus eligible to keep my unlimited data plan. I don't want to go to their new plan which no longer is unlimited data. :nono:

Tom (:macwave:... we'll see!)

keith
25-06-2010, 02:37 PM
The other thing Apple's saying is that if you use one of the bumpers they've got for it, it completely eliminates the problem. :unsure:

yep and I can confirm thats true on my 3gs. with its see thru bumper installed, no change wherever I hold it. So I can imagine those bumpers being a complete fix

I'm still sitting tight until I find out from my carrier what my options are. I've currently got the old unlimited data plan but they're telling me my contract has expired. I don't agree with that since I bought my DW her iPhone a year ago last Christmas and had to renew my 2 year contract at that point in time. I should still be under that contract and thus eligible to keep my unlimited data plan. I don't want to go to their new plan which no longer is unlimited data. :nono:

Tom (:macwave:... we'll see!)

yeah same over here, normally they love the contracts to run on forever but they want everyone off unlimited

josh.p.
25-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Apple have stated that it's only when it's held in a certain place, and apparently people have found it's actually a software problem. It displays 0 bars but if you make a call it's fine :yes:

The yellow dots is the adhesive, they are being shipped so quickly from production that they don't have time to evaporate properly. Then when they're used it speeds it up a lot more and they'll eventually go :yes:

keith
25-06-2010, 03:20 PM
After a day of using it, I'm appreciating it more and more. I think it's now a mature product :yes: I wouldnt now want to go back not even to a 3gs

josh.p.
25-06-2010, 03:37 PM
I honestly think they've hit the nail on the head... it's hard to think how to improve it other than battery life and size... and even then it would take some beating.

keith
25-06-2010, 03:39 PM
The other thing is that the design is very normal and I dont mean that in a bad way. The old bulbous iphone design always rocked on the table and just looked a bit weird. This one just looks spot on to me

MarkE
25-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Note to self: Ignore Keith, you're going on holiday in 8 weeks, you can't afford it just yet, go buy some holiday clothes and then you'll be happier, you need to wait a while; wait until all networks have announced all their plans, 3 could suprise everybody, you need to replace your ps3 more, it's just a phone...

The 3G network is now very close to being 'full' / at capacity, so I read. I think they want to put everyone off excess bandwith usage through things like tune in radio (internet streaming app) and watching LONG you tube videos (of tv shows etc). Not sure if that's a measurable fact or the networks have just realised they can squeeze an extra 5 a month out of you to 'double' your data plan when you may not really need to...

I'm on o2 45, and will be for another year. That has unlimited data. If they try to move me off it I'll kick up a stink... but let them off if they let me upgrade early :)

keith
25-06-2010, 03:43 PM
hehe well you know Mark, at the end of the day, it *IS* just a phone :yes: and there's nothing so compelling about it that you *HAVE* to upgrade.

Is it nicer? yeah much :yes: is it so much nicer that you should forgo other things to afford it, nah not in my opinion :)

Skywatcher
25-06-2010, 03:52 PM
......apart from the stunning video which may now have tipped the balance for me as I was wavering away from it

keith
25-06-2010, 03:53 PM
......apart from the stunning video which may now have tipped the balance for me as I was wavering away from it

photo and video wise its amazed me

Deafjeff
25-06-2010, 04:06 PM
I downloaded iMovie and impressed how much I can edit on the iPhone can see a regular use at wow :yes:

Skywatcher
25-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Stock levels changing all the time. Still available at some stores but will wait until it's local I expect things will calm down a little over the next few weeks

MystikPiglit
25-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Stock levels changing all the time. Still available at some stores

How do you find out where they are available? :)

Skywatcher
25-06-2010, 04:23 PM
The o2 website has a link to all stores in your area and their stock levels clock on the iPhone 4 on the main page and I think the stock link is on the next page

MystikPiglit
25-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Thank you. :)

catrancher
26-06-2010, 12:05 PM
For any of you that are suffering from the loss of signal/death grip phenomenon, there is purported to be a 4.01 software update coming next week that addresses the issue. :fingers:

Tom (:macwave:... that didn't take long, did it?)

Britchick
26-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Jons first iPhone comes on Wednesday :yes:

Skywatcher
26-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Still no stock locally. Hope this resolves soonish

keith
26-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Still no stock locally. Hope this resolves soonish

it doesn't feel ipadish to me, there was stock left today round here but I see it's all gone now. So I reckon the next batch should see some free

Skywatcher
28-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Now no stock at all in south east on England......

Deafjeff
28-06-2010, 01:29 PM
oh dear :-(

I used face time first time yesterday with a friend and it is amazing quality! The picture was so clear and it does feel like a 'proper' phone for me.

I just hope that one day they would be able to allow 3G connection...