PDA

View Full Version : Dr Laura Schlesinger And Homosexuality

Tinkerbell
30-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I was sent this the other day, tis a good one :butterrainbow:

In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet.

It's funny, as well as informative:
~~~~~~~~~

Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians! Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?!?!

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws??!!!?! (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan

Skywatcher
30-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Spectacular.

Steven Fry had a phrase regarding religion that he used on QI, I cannot type it here as I wouldhave to ban myself

mumof2
30-06-2010, 09:46 AM
a very well thought out reply.....very funny!! :yes:

I would love to see the response.....wriggle outta that one Dr!!

josh.p.
30-06-2010, 10:03 AM
That is so clever :yes: thanks for sharing with us :hug2:

Claire
30-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Brilliant!

Tinkerbell
30-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Spectacular.

Steven Fry had a phrase regarding religion that he used on QI, I cannot type it here as I wouldhave to ban myself

Ah yes, I know that quote :thumbsup:

arkvilla
30-06-2010, 11:43 AM
So good. I loved it - spot on... I bet the good doctor didn't reply!!

Wish I could think up things like that when a jobsworth annoys me..

Sandra

Tink
30-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I used to do a presentation workshop regarding acceptance of homosexuality in the residents/clients we serve...

One of the "raising awareness tools" that I would use was a Questionnaire that turned the stereotypical questions back on the heterosexual community.

"So, when did you decide to become heterosexual?"

Things like that.

I love the article that Sister Tinkerbell has posted. I've used it's reference often. :D

Another point that has been made is the word abomination and it's CONTEXT... when we are citing bilical passages it's critical (if you are an ethical person anyway) to remember that the meaning of the word needs to be from the historical context. Using today's definition is often flat out wrong.

Rather like the original meaning of queer or gay, yes? :D

Tinkerbell
30-06-2010, 12:06 PM
"So, when did you decide to become heterosexual?"

And how many say "I've always been this way"? But still cannot accept that this is also the way for every one else? It's not like waking up one morning and thinking "oh I know I'll try coffee without milk today to see if I like it!" It's who you are - simple!

I don't choose to be straight
I don't choose to be gay
I don't choose to be bi
I am who I am!

Saddens me so much that so many people are so bigoted :(

Another point that has been made is the word abomination and it's CONTEXT... when we are citing bilical passages it's critical (if you are an ethical person anyway) to remember that the meaning of the word needs to be from the historical context. Using today's definition is often flat out wrong.

Rather like the original meaning of queer or gay, yes? :D

:yes:,:yes: a thousand times :yes: :D

Tink
30-06-2010, 12:18 PM
You are so right, Sister Tinkerbell. :hug2:

It's a huge struggle to have people understand that who you are is not always a matter of choice. It's a complicated factor as we can choose so many things in our lives. We can choose to be decent to one another, we choose the g-d in which we believe, or we choose not to believe in a deity, we choose the way we want to eat, to raise our children, heck even what laws we'll follow.

We can dye our hair, and use colored contacts on our eyes, we can even to a certain extent change our skin color but we cannot change the underlying factors that gave us our skin color, our hair color, ect... anymore than we can change who we love.

People do have unions with others for many reasons other than true desire, that doesn't change who and what they are, eh? :shrug:

If you really pushed me to say, I'd hazard a guess that many people who present as heterosexual are repressed homosexuals who simply cannot deal with the social stigma of being gay. Oftentimes that repression comes out in terribly homophobic ways. :sigh:

Anyway, one person at a time, eh? That really is the way to change the world. :yes:

Tinkerbell
30-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Totally agree Sister Tink :thumbsup:

One person at a time. I like that, yes, one person at a time :hug2:

Tinkfan
30-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know what her response was or if there was a response?

Tink
30-06-2010, 12:24 PM
No, I don't know if there is a response, if she gave one... ect.

Tinkerbell
30-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I haven't been able to find one so far :shrug1:

Tink
30-06-2010, 12:27 PM
This is the questionnaire I've used in the workshops I spoke of. You will see it is old, but it's still very relevant!!!

HETEROSEXUAL QUESTIONNAIRE

(©1972, Martin Rochlin, Ph.D. Reprinted with permission from the author.)

This questionnaire is for self-avowed heterosexuals only. If you are not openly heterosexual, pass it on to a friend who is. Please try to answer the questions as candidly as possible. Your responses will be held in strict confidence and your anonymity fully protected.

1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?

2. When and how did you first decide you were a heterosexual?

3. Is it possible your heterosexuality is just a phase you may grow out of?

4. Could it be that your heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex?

5. If you’ve never slept with a person of the same sex, how can you be sure you wouldn’t prefer that?

6. To whom have you disclosed your heterosexual tendencies? How did they react?

7. Why do heterosexuals feel compelled to seduce others into their lifestyle?

8. Why do you insist on flaunting your heterosexuality? Can’t you just be what you are and keep it quiet?

9. Would you want your children to be heterosexual, knowing the problems they’d face?

10. A disproportionate majority of child molesters are heterosexual men. Do you consider it safe to expose children to heterosexual male teachers, pediatricians, priests, or scoutmasters?

11. With all the societal support for marriage, the divorce rate is spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?

12. Why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?

13. Considering the menace of overpopulation, how could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual?

14. Could you trust a heterosexual therapist to be objective? Don’t you fear s/he might be inclined to influence you in the direction of her/his own leanings?

15. Heterosexuals are notorious for assigning themselves and one another rigid, stereotyped sex roles. Why must you cling to such unhealthy role-playing?

16. With the sexually segregated living conditions of military life, isn’t heterosexuality incompatible with military service?

17. How can you enjoy an emotionally fulfilling experience with a person of the other sex when there are such vast differences between you? How can a man know what pleases a woman sexually or vice-versa?

18. Shouldn’t you ask your far-out straight cohorts, like skinheads and born-agains, to keep quiet? Wouldn’t that improve your image?

19. Why are heterosexuals so promiscuous?

20. Why do you attribute heterosexuality to so many famous lesbian and gay people? Is it to justify your own heterosexuality?

21. How can you hope to actualize your God-given homosexual potential if you limit yourself to exclusive, compulsive heterosexuality?

22. There seem to be very few happy heterosexuals. Techniques have been developed that might enable you to change if you really want to. After all, you never deliberately chose to be a heterosexual, did you? Have you considered aversion therapy or Heterosexuals Anonymous?

Skywatcher
30-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I'd hazard a guess that many people who present as heterosexual are repressed homosexuals who simply cannot deal with the social stigma of being gay. Oftentimes that repression comes out in terribly homophobic ways. :sigh:

oh I so so so agree with this statement :yes:

Tinkerbell
30-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Thank you for posting the questionnaire Sister Tink.
It may be old but yes still so very relevant!

Johnie
30-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Dr. Laura is an idiot.

That response is spot on :thumbsup:

Quite frankly, it is not my business to know if someone is straight or homosexual unless I want to sleep with them. Seriously.

People often hate what they are afraid they might be......

Skywatcher
30-06-2010, 12:51 PM
And with your questionaire ( which is great) the point I make to people I meet is that I firmly believe that sexuality is a sliding scale and I believe that it can actually change with time as well, especially for thiose who are more 'in the middle'

:sigh:

I just despair that this is still such an issue, and I despair that the people in the bible belt of the US are the same ones who refer to people who are devoted to other religions as extremists.

You all know my views on this and religion in general but if there was going to be a book burning I know which one I'd burn.

Skywatcher
30-06-2010, 12:52 PM
People often hate what they are afraid they might be......

Well.... :unsure: I hate bananas

Tinkerbell
30-06-2010, 12:54 PM

why oh why did the word 'hammock' just spring into my head??? :unsure:

Tink
30-06-2010, 01:03 PM
:laugh:

:embarassed:

foreverducky
30-06-2010, 02:06 PM
I have read studies on various topics that now include answers like: mostly heterosexual or mostly homosexual for demographic information. I think some are trying to show that this is not a black or white manner. There are variations.

tb2830
30-06-2010, 04:37 PM
my cousins two children are both gay and to be honest they are probably more happy in there relationships than i am in mine :yes:

Johnie
30-06-2010, 05:02 PM

:slap: you know what I meant.

Tinker
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
:lol: Very Good ! I love it Tinkerbell, Very Funny & So True . Thanks for posting it .