PDA

View Full Version : Big time tech help needed!

mumof2
30-06-2010, 05:48 PM
that'll teach me to think i can work these computer things.....

i am attempting to rescue my photos from my old laptop which is getting seriously poorly. i bought one of those handy little gadgets called a memory stick...are they new on the market? :unsure: i jest of course!

it's pink by the way :yes:

anyway, i managed to put some of the folders on there and transfer them to this here newer laptoppy thing, then went back (after deleting said successful transferred pics) and went back to the old one with the pink memory stick.

now then, the usb ports have been a bit dodgy for a long time but of course when i reinserted the memory stick i stupidly expected it to work as it had done on the first occassion, so i went merrily along highlighting the files, right clicked, clicked on 'send to' and it was at this point that i REALLY should have been taking notice....

i clicked on the link to send the files to the memory stick....oh no i didn't. only i didn't realise until it completed the transfer and i attempted to load said files on the the newer laptop.

i went back to poorly laptop and started the process again, realising at this point that i had, in fact, clicked to send the the dvd/cd rw file....

hmmm, oh well i'll just do it again and send them to the memory stick (once i managed to get it to register in the loose usb thingy)

no can do....got what i thought was a rather unfriendly message stating

"cannot create or replace (the file name) cannot find the specified file. make sure you specify the correct path and file name"

well i checked and the photos are still in their folders, but there are also folders in a separate place which i can't remember the name of now waiting to be copied onto a CD. i tried to copy onto a cd but the drive wouldn't register the disc.

i cannot email them to myself either as the poorly laptop won't connect to the internet any more since we got wireless.

i'm really stuck as to what to now and this is making me panicky as i don't want to lose those photos, there are some very special ones there, you know what i mean.

please, does anybody have any ideas how to get round this in very simple terms for a very simple me! thank you :hug2:

Johnie
30-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I just came by to say hi.....I am of no help otherwise

josh.p.
30-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Go to My Computer and double click on your CD drive and you'll see the temporary files there, you'll be able to put them back into your my pictures folder :yes:

Kate
30-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I dont have anything to add other than my sister has a memory stick, the end (obviously not the bit you stick in the usb bit) has a big heart on it with sparkly diamonte on it!

mumof2
30-06-2010, 07:07 PM
oh Johnie and Kate, i just had a really good giggle.....:ROFL:

Josh, i tried that already and got the same message? i'll try again tomorrow maybe :unsure:

Kate
30-06-2010, 07:11 PM
haha! shows my technical ability doesnt it! :lol:

josh.p.
30-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Sounds daft but try restarting.

:macwave:

ukwdwnut
30-06-2010, 11:13 PM
not daft josh, a reboot sorts out quite a few problems

M

i know usb sticks are supposed to be hot plugable, by that i mean, you can just pull them out, but i never trust that.

in future look in the systray, the little oblong box at the bottom right hand side of the screen, you will see or should see 2 arrows together pointing in opposite directions, click on that and stop the device, memory stick, its then safe to take out, do that all the time with mem sticks as they are very finicky whether they will work again or not just pulling them out

josh.p.
30-06-2010, 11:37 PM
:macwave: :rotfl:

mumof2
01-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Mick, a ha...i do that!

Josh, :taunt:

will try again later today and see how it goes....thanks for the helpful advice, and the giggle!

Tink
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Did you work it out Mairead? I have an ancient laptop (I'm so not kidding) that has some important course work on it from Uni. I should have done something about it by now but haven't....

Maybe I'll make that a summer project.

mumof2
01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
no not yet Tink, have been busy all day. will give it a go later maybe or tomorrow afternoon.

the old one takes so long to get going though, it drives me nuts. you wait like half and hour for it to set up, then every action you take results in at a good few minutes wait..... :thumbsdown:

Tink
02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Yes, I know that problem. :sigh: But you are light years ahead of me! I'm even afraid to turn my old laptop ON! :lipwobble:

Will have to get over that if I ever intend to recover what is on there.