PDA

View Full Version : road trip to......

Isafari
30-06-2010, 06:10 PM
We usually go on a road trip for a few days when we go to Florida over Christmas/New Year.

I can't decide where to look into a bit more - Orlando to Jacksonville or Orlando to Keys.

Anyone have any experience of either of those places? We will only have 5 days tops.

Johnie
30-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I have been to Jacksonville. I am actually scheduled to go to a school thing there in Sept.

I hear the Keys are lovely. I'd probably go there out of the two choices.

Otherwise, I'd go to St. Augustine.

arkvilla
30-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Last year we did 2 road trips - one to New Orleans and 1 to the Keys.

I have a couple of write ups I did for a homeowners forum I belong to, if you'd like them Diane I can e-mail them to you.

Sandra

Isafari
30-06-2010, 08:25 PM
I have been to Jacksonville. I am actually scheduled to go to a school thing there in Sept.

I hear the Keys are lovely. I'd probably go there out of the two choices.

Otherwise, I'd go to St. Augustine.

What sort of activities did you do in Jacksonville Johnie? I'm looking into a few things :yes:
Looking at St. Augustine too :thumbsup:

Last year we did 2 road trips - one to New Orleans and 1 to the Keys.

I have a couple of write ups I did for a homeowners forum I belong to, if you'd like them Diane I can e-mail them to you.

Sandra

That would be great Sandra :thumbsup:

robertcraig
30-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I would like to spend a few days at st augustine and it is nearer orlando

Britchick
30-06-2010, 09:56 PM
All I know of Jacksonville is that it's a nightmare to drive through!

What about a little bit further up the road, could tell you everything there is to know about Charleston, truly beautiful place:thumbsup:

Tink
30-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Ok, I'm going to be gentle here... I loathe, hate and despise Jacksonville. :sorry:

Head to KEY WEST!!! :yes: :D

ukwdwnut
30-06-2010, 11:02 PM
defo the keys if it were me :D

Tinkfan
01-07-2010, 02:03 AM
All I know of Jacksonville is that it's a nightmare to drive through!

What about a little bit further up the road, could tell you everything there is to know about Charleston, truly beautiful place:thumbsup:
What she said, I hate driving through Jacksonville, Keys!!!!

Slowhand
01-07-2010, 08:07 AM
If you have 5 days allocated Diane then I would definately go down to the Keys, we absolutely love it there.
The atmosphere there is so laid back its almost horizontal :lol:, totally different than the Orlando area, and eating out is also a darn sight cheaper than many of the restaurants around WDW.
It would also be a good excuse to take in the Everglades either en-route or on your return journey. :thumbsup:

Dawn
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
I've been to Tallahassee. Nice museum and a State Capitol that looks like a giant air conditioning machine. And that's it. :rotfl:

Tink
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Fibber!!! There is the Federal Penitentiary in Tallahassee AND the uni! :snooty:

:laugh:

arkvilla
01-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Tallahassee, well we stayed overnight there en route to New Orleans - it was a Saturday and we thought as it was the capital of Florida it would be lively - WRONG - it was a ghost town - we wished we'd have just carried on driving.

Sandra

Dawn
01-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Fibber!!! There is the Federal Penitentiary in Tallahassee AND the uni! :snooty:

:laugh:

Oh and a little take out place just by the Capitol that made me the best egg salad sandwich ever. Nice view from the observatory deck in the air con machine as well. Ooooh ooooh oooh and the Dennys just out of town gave me free onion rings with my dinner just for being a student. :thumbsup:

I did like the museum very much. :worship:

MystikPiglit
02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
St Augustine would be my choice. I loved it so much I wanted to move there. :sigh:

catrancher
02-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Gotta vote for the Keys! :yes:

Like Terry says, it's so laid back it's almost horizontal! (gotta remember that one).

A sunset cruise off Mallory Square and then a beer at Sloppy Joe's! :bar:

Nothing better!

Tom (:macwave:... I wanna go back! Now!)

robertcraig
02-07-2010, 02:53 PM
St Augustine would be my choice. I loved it so much I wanted to move there. :sigh:
I would move there in a minute:wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:

robertcraig
02-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Gotta vote for the Keys! :yes:

Like Terry says, it's so laid back it's almost horizontal! (gotta remember that one).

A sunset cruise off Mallory Square and then a beer at Sloppy Joe's! :bar:

Nothing better!

Tom (:macwave:... I wanna go back! Now!)
maybe iwill go back next year where is the best place to stay

Slowhand
02-07-2010, 03:12 PM
maybe iwill go back next year where is the best place to stay
As the Keys are around 100 miles long, we have tended to stay mid way along, either in Marathon of Islamorada in order to cut down on the drive time should we want to explore Key West, or Key Largo in the opposite direction.

The best place we have stayed so far has been The Cheeca Lodge at Islamorada....a bit expensive but well worth it IMHO. :thumbsup:

Tinker
02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Key West :yes: I just love the atmosphere, Sloppy Joe's is Fabulous, Great Food, Beer & Entertainment , Mallory Square and the sunset is breathtaking .

catrancher
02-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Here's a link to my slide show of the photos I took in Key West on our DCL cruise that stopped there in 2005. There's a whole bunch of them showing the sunset from our stateroom veranda on the ship. This is pretty much the same view you'd get from Mallory Square since the ship was docked less than a block from the square.

Key West (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948495@N08/sets/72157624408581202/show/)

Tom (:macwave:... I love that place!)

Slowhand
03-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Here's a link to my slide show of the photos I took in Key West on our DCL cruise that stopped there in 2005.
Now you`ve done it Tom! [convinced me to re-visit the Keys on our next trip that is....not that I need much persuading. :lol:]
That Conch Tram Tour sure is the best way to get a good feel for Key West isn`t it?
Great photos, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

catrancher
03-07-2010, 12:03 PM
That Conch Tram Tour sure is the best way to get a good feel for Key West isn`t it?

Sure is, Terry! :yes:

A very nice tour and afterwards, a stroll up and down Duvall Street stopping in the occasional watering hole for a bit of your favorite adult beverage! My kind of day.

Long live the Conch Republic! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... searching for my lost shaker of salt!)

ukwdwnut
03-07-2010, 12:36 PM
from cape coral, how far is it to the keys, travel time i mean, anyone know

Slowhand
03-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Dunno about Cape Coral but it`s around a 5 hour drive to the Keys from the WDW area Mick.

ukwdwnut
03-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Dunno about Cape Coral but it`s around a 5 hour drive to the Keys from the WDW area Mick.

5hrs that all!! i thought it was 4 to miami....thats good to know then. thx terry :D

catrancher
03-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Google maps is showing 5hrs 19mins, Mick. Course you've got to cross over to the Atlantic coast via Alligator Alley to get there.

Tom (:macwave:... not bad...)

ukwdwnut
03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Google maps is showing 5hrs 19mins, Mick. Course you've got to cross over to the Atlantic coast via Alligator Alley to get there.

Tom (:macwave:... not bad...)

from CC or WDW tom?

catrancher
03-07-2010, 01:19 PM
from CC or WDW tom?

That's from Cape Coral, Mick. Here's the map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Cape+Coral,+FL&daddr=Key+west,+fl&hl=en&geocode=FSZRlQEdo4wd-yn1FoDnp0TbiDHyb5s6FqTRrw%3B&gl=us&mra=ls&sll=26.562854,-81.949533&sspn=0.90527,1.192017&ie=UTF8&z=8).

Tom (:macwave:... this way!)

ukwdwnut
03-07-2010, 01:28 PM
That's from Cape Coral, Mick. Here's the map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Cape+Coral,+FL&daddr=Key+west,+fl&hl=en&geocode=FSZRlQEdo4wd-yn1FoDnp0TbiDHyb5s6FqTRrw%3B&gl=us&mra=ls&sll=26.562854,-81.949533&sspn=0.90527,1.192017&ie=UTF8&z=8).

Tom (:macwave:... this way!)

ok thx tom :D

Tink
03-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Cape Coral? That's a long drive from the Keys! :eek:

Used to be you could get a high speed catamaran from Ft. Myers Beach though. Not sure if they still do that there.

Isafari
03-07-2010, 02:13 PM
My problem at the moment is I think I would get bored with the Keys :unsure: Need to look into it more and see what there is to do to keep us occupied for a few days :yes:

Slowhand
03-07-2010, 02:28 PM
5hrs that all!! i thought it was 4 to miami....thats good to know then. thx terry :D
It really depends on where in the Keys you refer to Mick...remember that the Keys stretch from Key Largo on the mainlamd side all the way to Key West, a distance of over 100 miles!

Tink
03-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Bored? In the Keys? :unsure: I don't think so Issy! :D Bored in Jax, definitely but not in the Keys.

There are loads of things to do there, and some of them you would love, dolphin watching and the like. :yes:

catrancher
03-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Like perhaps John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park (http://www.pennekamppark.com/index.html) in Key Largo! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... for one example!)