Ooooo looky what I've just had delivered and 4 days before the date I
was expecting!

Can't wait to play :-)

keith
05-07-2010, 12:05 PM
so very cool :) you're going to have the BEST time :D

Tink
05-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Oh wow! NICE! So Miss! How do you rate an early delivery when everyone else had to wait longer than originally told? :D Enjoy!

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 12:44 PM
:( itunes wont pick it up - what am i doing wrong - HELP!!!

keith
05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
:( itunes wont pick it up - what am i doing wrong - HELP!!!

Im sure someone else around here said the same and then it just started working :/

definitely new itunes version?
cables all plugged in?
tried turning the ipad fully off then on?
have you waited long enough (on windows it takes awhile the first time)

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Yup checked the latest version, thats all ok.

All i get on the screen is the itunes symbol and the USB lead, telling me to connect it, both its not happening :( Knew it was too good to be true

keith
05-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Yup checked the latest version, thats all ok.

All i get on the screen is the itunes symbol and the USB lead, telling me to connect it, both its not happening :( Knew it was too good to be true

It WONT be broken. I know you're thinking it is, it wont be.

Is this on windows or mac?

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 01:00 PM
On a mac, im getting really frustrated with it now

keith
05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
On a mac, im getting really frustrated with it now

someone will come along and know instantly whats wrong :hug2: in the meantime, have you rebooted the mac?

Have you tried the USB cable in different sockets in the mac?

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Haven't tried rebooting, will give that a go.

Yup tried various USB sockets and different cables too

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Its just told me I can't use ipad because I am not running 10.5. Just checked my system and im on 10.4.11 :(

As I said knew it was too good to be true

keith
05-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Haven't tried rebooting, will give that a go.

Yup tried various USB sockets and different cables too

I still reckon we'll get it going :yes:

any other computer you could try it on?

keith
05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Its just told me I can't use ipad because I am not running 10.5. Just checked my system and im on 10.4.11 :(

sure :( 10.4 is two major revisions behind. 10.6 is the current one.

It doesn't cost much to upgrade and if you PM me I'm sure I could help :yes:

for today, how about using an old pc or something?

catrancher
05-07-2010, 01:19 PM

Lisa,

Have you run software update on your Mac? You "should" be able to update to 10.5 (actually needs 10.5.8, I think).

Or is there some reason you need to stay at 10.4.11?

Tom (:macwave:... curious...)

catrancher
05-07-2010, 01:21 PM
It doesn't cost much to upgrade and if you PM me I'm sure I could help :yes:

Ahhh... forgot about that. Leopard's an extra cost. Curses!

Tom (:macwave:... :homer:)

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
It's so annoying, I would have to buy the box set which comes with ilife and iworks, which I don't and would never use, such a waste of money.

Oh well looks like my shiney ipad is staying in its box for now then.

keith
05-07-2010, 01:37 PM
It's so annoying, I would have to buy the box set which comes with ilife and iworks, which I don't and would never use, such a waste of money.

You don't honestly you just need the 25 upgrade to snow leopard 10.6 :)
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.K.) (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTM3NDgwNzM)

catrancher
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Is your Mac an Intel based one? Or is it one of the older PowerPC architectures?

Tom (:macwave:... trapped between versions!)

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 01:46 PM
It says - Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ?!?!

catrancher
05-07-2010, 01:48 PM
It says - Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ?!?!

Ohh... then you can do like Keith suggested and just go to the more inexpensive Snow Leopard (10.6) update! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... cheaper is good!)

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate your help.

Its horrid having a new toy and not being able to use it.

josh.p.
05-07-2010, 02:22 PM
The apple store offers in store set up, if you took it along im sure they'd activate it for you :)

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 04:57 PM
My husband has been and brought me the software, did wonder where he went, lol.

Just installing now - fingers crossed?

Quick question, will installing snow leopard cancel out tiger or do I need to delete stuff?

keith
05-07-2010, 04:59 PM
My husband has been and brought me the software, did wonder where he went, lol.

Just installing now - fingers crossed?

Quick question, will installing snow leopard cancel out tiger or do I need to delete stuff?

nope it'll upgrade it all :) no tidyup necessary in theory

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Snow Leopard has installed, and its all up and running.

Do you think the ipad will connect - NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Im starting to think i've wasted my money!

catrancher
05-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Snow Leopard has installed, and its all up and running.

Do you think the ipad will connect - NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Im starting to think i've wasted my money!

Naw. We'll get it fixed.

Does it show up in iTunes when you plug it in?

Tom (:macwave:... tech service mode; on.)

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Nope, makes the noise as if its going to, but nothing in itunes.

catrancher
05-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok, here's the Apple assistant for issues like this: iPad not showing in iTunes (http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/itunes/)

Go through that and let me know what happens.

Tom (:macwave:... trying... )

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 06:17 PM
None of that worked either. Although interestingly when I go into the hardware bit on the system profiller under USB High Speed Bus it says ipad and underneath Built in iSight.

Does that mean that the USB socket is recognising the ipad but itunes isnt?

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Finally, its recognised it, although now it wont let me go any further as I don't have the 02 SIM for it yet. I give up!!!

catrancher
05-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Finally, its recognised it, although now it wont let me go any further as I don't have the 02 SIM for it yet. I give up!!!

What do you mean? It won't let you go any further? I didn't think a SIM was required to sync with iTunes.

Tom (:macwave:... sorry, I had to step away for a bit.)

keith
05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
What do you mean? It won't let you go any further? I didn't think a SIM was required to sync with iTunes.

Tom (:macwave:... sorry, I had to step away for a bit.)

it isnt :/ I have the 3g and you dont need a sim to activate the ipad or to use it :/

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I have managed to activate it, but it wont let me sync with itunes. It keeps going on about the sim

Grrrrr - now i can't open Aperture as the older version I have isn't compatible with Snow Leopard. The fun just keeps coming and coming!

Starting to regret my ipad purchase!

catrancher
05-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Try unplugging it from the USB and then plugging it back in. There's no reason at all that it should be insisting on a SIM in order to get it to sync.

Tom (:macwave:... don't give up!)

Lisa1976
05-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I've had enough for tonight. I think if I carry on tonight it will go out the window :(

Now got to find 80 to upgrade Aperture!

keith
05-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I've had enough for tonight. I think if I carry on tonight it will go out the window :(

Now got to find 80 to upgrade Aperture!

:hug2: Really feel for you :( the only possible thing I can say is that it's a very very good upgrade to aperture, it's worth having although I know you werent planning on it

Skywatcher
06-07-2010, 01:52 PM
well...... I have my own resevations about aperture - so sorry you are having problems Lisa - all I will say is that I PROMISE when you get it working ( and you will the boys here will sort that ) you wil love it witha passion

I can't remember seeing lisa without hers since hers came :yes:

Lisa1976
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Well today i've got myself another micro sim from 02, the one I ordered from the internet never showed, so i'll put that in tonight and see how I go.

Simon gets paid tomorrow, so i'll "borrow" some of his pennies to purchase Aperture 3, the annoying side is I was half way through processing saturday's wedding on Aperture, and of course now i've upgraded to Snow Leopard I can't get into my current version of Aperture to finish it off, so annoying and wasting so much time as i've another wedding this saturday. Thankfully I can still use CS3, I don't want to shell out for that as well.

On the plus side, i downloaded Bento from the App Store on my ipad and that is working great, i've managed to customise a template (although im not sure how to save the template yet, lol) so that it works for my business. I'm hoping that itunes will back up all of that as well.

The next step is to get the diary side of things up and running, im not sure how I am going to work with that one, whether I'm going to use the generic one on the ipad for download a different one we'll see! I've got my exchange business emails up and running so thats a good thing :)

josh.p.
06-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Aperture is :awesome: :yes: I know it's not the point, bus as Keith says, it's a pretty nice upgrade :yes. So glad you've got the iPad up and running. The only time Ive chosen the macbook over the iPad was to design a site for my sister and to make a new graphic for the site :yes:

Did you order the case?

keith
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I actually do prefer adobe lightroom to aperture but its still good

Skywatcher
07-07-2010, 07:17 AM
:unsure: so I take it from that we are up and running :unsure: do you love it yet Lisa ?

Still not had 5 minutes to download the lightroom trial :rolleyes:

Aperture 3 was far too buggy for me and would not import any of my iPhotos no matter what I did , I wcould transfer 1 photo at a time but that kinda defeats the whole point dunnit?

Lisa1976
07-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Yes, I am now up and running, phew thank goodness!!!

I did buy the official apple case but its horrid complete waste of 30 so that is going on Ebay. Ordered myself a nice one from Ebay along with a couple of screen protectors, so once they arrive I can take it out into the world :)

Hmm, perhaps I may download Lightroom then. I have always used Aperture to process my Raw files before transfering them to Tiff to work with in Photoshop. Is Lightroom vastly expensive?

Deafjeff
07-07-2010, 07:30 AM
fab have lorra fun!

Skywatcher
07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
The apple case looks cheap and nasty but IMHO it is practically very useful - the simle conversion to teh wedge is great and I have used it so much moresince I got it, it also adds no weight or bulk to the device - but to each their own

I should imagine that lightroom from scratch would cost as much as aperture from scratch, if you alrady have aperture then an upgrade would be much cheaper

catrancher
07-07-2010, 01:26 PM
In the FWIW department.

Just yesterday received our iPad screen protectors that I ordered from PowerSupport (http://www.powersupportusa.com/). Got the matt ones. They also have them in gloss. They were fairly expensive ($25 each) but oh so worth it!

I put them on both my and my DW's iPads last night and it feels soooo good to use. Provides protection for the screen and doesn't seem to interfere at all with the touch sensitivity.

But the best bit is this; no more fingerprints on the screen! :banana:

Tom (:macwave:... protected!)

josh.p.
07-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Im not sure which case to get as the apple one says ships in 4-5 weeks :thud:

Skywatcher
07-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Well I wouldn't be without mine Josh - Lisa has said on another thread ( not my Lisa) that she isconsidering selling hers so drop her a PM - personally I think they rock!

keith
07-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Just yesterday received our iPad screen protectors that I ordered from PowerSupport (http://www.powersupportusa.com/). Got the matt ones. They also have them in gloss. They were fairly expensive ($25 each) but oh so worth it!

I put them on both my and my DW's iPads last night and it feels soooo good to use. Provides protection for the screen and doesn't seem to interfere at all with the touch sensitivity.

me too! :yes:

I've always been a huge fan of the powersupport screen protectors for the iphone and I'm pleased to say the ipad ones are just as good and mega easy to install (unlike some of the lesser brands!)

I always get the crystal ones.

At the moment I've got a crystal screen overlay and a "nude" ooo ahhh missus, very thin plastic see through case on the back/sides. This works better for me than the apple case since it doesnt add any bulk at all to the device and the full beauty shines through :yes:

Welcome to SwitchEasy (http://www.switcheasy.com/products/NUDE_iPad/NUDE_iPad.php#)

catrancher
07-07-2010, 03:42 PM
a "nude" ooo ahhh missus, very thin plastic see through case on the back/sides. This works better for me than the apple case since it doesnt add any bulk at all to the device and the full beauty shines through :yes:

Welcome to SwitchEasy (http://www.switcheasy.com/products/NUDE_iPad/NUDE_iPad.php#)

Ohhh... nude! That looks pretty good! I may have to try one of those. I like the fact that they include a couple of portable stands with it. I want get something other than the Incase cast that I've currently got. It just makes the iPad too bulky in my opinion. I may try your "nude" (don't look) and one of these Targus cases (http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=TES00701US) for protection while I'm carting my iPad around.

Tom (:macwave:... always with trying something new.)

Skywatcher
07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
hmm looks nice but I use the cover to protect the screen and I do like the wedge I'm afraid so its the apple cover for me although they do look lovely

Lisa1976
07-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Im not sure which case to get as the apple one says ships in 4-5 weeks :thud:

Hiya Josh

Yeah I wasn't impressed with it to be honest, but if you want it, brand new in box, its yours for 20 plus P&P. Let me know :)

Skywatcher
08-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Bargain Josh :yes: