PDA

View Full Version : C'mon the Netherlands

Skywatcher
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
:D

As Matthew continues to be obsessed by all things orange we have a new team to support tonight - hope they smash the cheating swines and the hand of god :D

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/images/smilies/vuvuzela.gif

MarkE
06-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Erm... they're playing Uruguay...

ukwdwnut
06-07-2010, 02:45 PM
:lol:

Skywatcher
06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Uruguay only got through mark as in the 94th minute one of their defenders stopped the Ghanans scoring by using both his hands - the chap then missed the penalty and africa were out of the cup

robertcraig
06-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Uruguay only got through mark as in the 94th minute one of their defenders stopped the Ghanans scoring by using both his hands - the chap then missed the penalty and africa were out of the cup
dont tell me an england player would not have done the same thing

robertcraig
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
dont tell me an england player would not have done the same thing

MarkE
06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Sorry, I automatically associate hand of god with Argentina, the rest is just handball...

I'm well aware, I watched it too! But Ghana only have themselves to blame, he should have smashed that penalty to end the game, but even still, some of those spot kicks in the shoot out were the worst ever. Including the one with no run-up!!

And yes, I'm sure many many others would have done the same thing - Kanchelskis for Man United in the League cup final years ago was exactly the same thing. Villa just scored the penalty!

Skywatcher
06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Anyway the main reaso we are supporting them is that Matthew likes Orange :lol:

Mags
06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
So glad that Holland won. Now Im supporting Germany against Spain and then Germany if they are in the final.

Margaret

kazzaqld
06-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I should be sad because I had Uruguay in the sweep - but

YAY!! Netherlands! :thumbsup:

Skywatcher
07-07-2010, 07:11 AM
http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/images/smilies/vuvuzela.gif

uscwest
07-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I have Germany in my other pool and since I lived there for 13 years I have to pull for them. Immer wieder Deutschland.

Skywatcher
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Spain are capable of the better football , bus in the tournament Germany has played the better football - so it could be a cracking game

John - interested to know, as you lived in Europe for a while , did you manage to pick up on the game and begin to appreciate the more esoteric aspects of the game - movement off the ball etc that gives the game the nicknmae ' the beautiful game' - al lot of my US friends see it as 'boring' as it is usually low scoring - yet some of the very best games I have been to have been 0 -0 draws filled with drama skill and theatre. The other point is in countries other than the US football is followed to an almost fanatical level with really intese rivalrys between clubs - usually we are born into families that support a certain club ( usually within driving distance of the stadia) and we follow that team through thick and thin - in the US I wonder if there is the same intensity given the sometimes vast distances between the teams in the NFL ,people can hardly finish work and go to an 'away game' that night.

Only found out the other day that Soccer is an abbreviation of association football

Clearly as we invented it we get to name it , and TBH it does involve principally the foot and a ball ;)

uscwest
07-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Spain are capable of the better football , bus in the tournament Germany has played the better football - so it could be a cracking game

John - interested to know, as you lived in Europe for a while , did you manage to pick up on the game and begin to appreciate the more esoteric aspects of the game - movement off the ball etc that gives the game the nicknmae ' the beautiful game' - al lot of my US friends see it as 'boring' as it is usually low scoring - yet some of the very best games I have been to have been 0 -0 draws filled with drama skill and theatre. The other point is in countries other than the US football is followed to an almost fanatical level with really intese rivalrys between clubs - usually we are born into families that support a certain club ( usually within driving distance of the stadia) and we follow that team through thick and thin - in the US I wonder if there is the same intensity given the sometimes vast distances between the teams in the NFL ,people can hardly finish work and go to an 'away game' that night.

Only found out the other day that Soccer is an abbreviation of association football

Clearly as we invented it we get to name it , and TBH it does involve principally the foot and a ball ;)Chris when I lived in Stuttgart 1976-1979 I had season tickets for VfB Stuttgart. I went to every home game and a good many of their road games on the train. They were a second league team when I started following them and went into the first league in 1977. Their first home game that year was against Moenchengladbach, the defending league champions. My mother was due in at the Frankfurt Airport that morning. I picked her up and told her she had the choice of me dropping her off at my apartment so she could get some rest or she could go to the game with me. Now mind you my mom was NOT in any way shape or form a sports fan. But she chose to go to the game. Stuttgart won, and we had a few beers after while we celebrated in my favorite Bierstube.

Donna thinks this is just another football game even though I keep telling her this is the WORLD CUP

Skywatcher
07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
:D excellent thanks for that John, I really hope it catches on in the States in the same way it is seeminggly embraced by the rest of the globe, it is probably one of the only truely global sports - yeah the olympics is as well but different countries compete in different events, here everyone is playing the same game. The US national team has come on in leaps and bounds in the last decade and I really hope that that starts to fire the imagination of the US people. I remember a Simpsons episode where they were ripping into football as being really boring.

ukwdwnut
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
im hoping spain do it tonight :fingers:

uscwest
07-07-2010, 04:03 PM
:D excellent thanks for that John, I really hope it catches on in the States in the same way it is seeminggly embraced by the rest of the globe, it is probably one of the only truely global sports - yeah the olympics is as well but different countries compete in different events, here everyone is playing the same game. The US national team has come on in leaps and bounds in the last decade and I really hope that that starts to fire the imagination of the US people. I remember a Simpsons episode where they were ripping into football as being really boring.
When I first moved back to the DC area the MLS was just getting going and I remember folks like Pele and Franz Beckenbauer among others being recruited to play for some of the teams in that league. I attended a couple of DC United games but there just is not the same intensity that I witnessed in Europe, perhaps because they were playing before only 1/2 full or less stadiums, perhaps some other reason. I do know that a lot of the folks that really follow DC United are of Hispanic descent however. I think perhaps, the biggest problem, here in the US is that we are just too darn big. In England, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, etc. you can easily follow your home team no matter where they are playing within their leagues. Here that is a LOT more difficult. I loved the closeness in Germany. Would love to see a Premiere League game some day and don't really care who, I would just like to see one. I do hope that it continues to grow here in the US though.

Skywatcher
07-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah I had a feeling the size made a difference, I used to go to all the home games and probably 80% of the away games for my club when I was younger, then watch my county play cricket in the summer - a game that will never ever make it to the US I'm sure :lol:

I suppose the only way it could really work in the US would be to have a division within each state

Its worth coming to a game just to hear the singing :D

uscwest
08-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Well now that Spain have eliminated Germany I'm going to root for The Netherlands.

robertcraig
08-07-2010, 11:08 AM
It will be good watching the final not caring who wins

Skywatcher
08-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Why he didn't pas to Torres in the last 10 minutes had me shouting at the set , leave alone Shearer :lol:

ukwdwnut
08-07-2010, 03:29 PM
its going to be one of the best finals in years i hope :fingers: