PDA

View Full Version : It's official - my car is a write off :o(

Isafari
08-07-2010, 01:46 PM
My lovely Mickeyised car :sigh:
Just have to empty it of my belongings and some one from the salvage company is coming to take it away. :thumbsdown:

Mags
08-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh no, your poor car!

Margaret

ukwdwnut
08-07-2010, 02:08 PM
awww diane

nevermind tho it can be replaced and you have a new project to do when your better :D :yes:

Isafari
08-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh no, your poor car!

Margaret

How come you get attached to cars!!!

nevermind tho it can be replaced and you have a new project to do when your better :D :yes:

The guy who came to inspect it showed me the photos he had taken from inside the back of the car - I'm lucky to be here at all. The whole floor in crumpled up to just behind the drivers seat and the chassis is way bent. He couldn't get in from the hatchback, he had to take the window ledge out and the backs of the seats off.

ukwdwnut
08-07-2010, 02:21 PM
The guy who came to inspect it showed me the photos he had taken from inside the back of the car - I'm lucky to be here at all. The whole floor in crumpled up to just behind the drivers seat and the chassis is way bent. He couldn't get in from the hatchback, he had to take the window ledge out and the backs of the seats off.

omg its that bad, you are a very lucky lady then diane. and with that the police cannot prosecute the cab driver, thats totally inexcusable...you know as you were injured he should have stayed and made sure you were ok, but he didnt.

are you going to take him to court with a private summons if the police still insist that they cant prosecute him ?

uscwest
08-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Diane, did I miss something while I was out of town? I haven't seen the thread.

Isafari
08-07-2010, 02:39 PM
are you going to take him to court with a private summons if the police still insist that they cant prosecute him ?

Police are going to pay him a vist within the next couple of weeks to tell him off for careless driving but that's all they can do without witnesses. Thing is - there were witnesses but they walked away not wanting to get involved.

Diane, did I miss something while I was out of town? I haven't seen the thread.

Sorry John - some members asked where I'd been the past few days so I thought I'd start a thread but I started it after the accident. :lol:
Here you go.....

I was sationary in my car at the time, pulled up behind another car waiting to turn right. As the car in front started to pull away, I quickly glanced in my mirror just in time to see a windscreen come through my car.

Took me a while to gather myself together and get out the car. The taxi driver was already out his car, checking it over and complaining about lost fares and the damage to his car.

He told me that a dog had ran out in front of him and that's why he crashed into me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said "sorry, but I didn't see any dog and, if a dog ran in front of you - wouldn't you put your brakes on, not accelerate into me?" He then changed his story to something else catching his eye, to looking for an address sign etc.

He wrote his details down for me and gave me the wrong registration number which I had the sense to check. He snatched the piece of paper from me and wrote the correct number down.

He basically just wanted to get away before anyone saw what he had done. He never once said sorry or asked if I was ok. He left me standing crying in the middle of the road.

I got back into my car and managed to take it around the corner to a quiet street out the way of traffic. There is a club right where it happened and people were outside smoking at the time - they all went inside.

I just sat and like a sissy - cried. Gathered myself together a bit and rang Dave at work who came straight to get me. He called the police then took me straight to hospital.

Hospital was no fun. I waited nearly two hours before a doctor was available. They thought I may have cracked my neck so they strapped me to a board, put a block around my head, then taped my head to the block. They took quite a few x-rays. Thankfully, i got away with whiplash, sprained wrist and pulled muscles down my right arm and leg. I was given painkillers and sent home in the morning.

I am having this week off from work as my job involves a lot of lifting and scrubbing floors which I just couldn't do right now. Have doctors appointment Monday morning.

Police came to the house. They can't prosecute the taxi driver as no one would say they witnessed the accident. So, they said within the next couple of weeks, they would go see him and caution him for wreckless driving.

tb2830
08-07-2010, 02:46 PM
sent you a text not sure if you got it

but i sure hope your ok

xxxxxxxx

ukwdwnut
08-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Police are going to pay him a vist within the next couple of weeks to tell him off for careless driving but that's all they can do without witnesses. Thing is - there were witnesses but they walked away not wanting to get involved.

why not ask them to put one of those yellow boards up where it happened appealing for witnesses. worth a try...and then theres the case of his reg, ins matters getting your car paid for, what other info do they need for a rear end smash, they can see how bad the damage is. was there any skid marks from his car? i take it they have seen the car?

Claire
08-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow Diane! I didn't know you'd had an accident. :hug2: What an arrogant so & so the other driver was! I wish there was something the police could do. As someone has already said, you would think the fact that your car was so badly damaged they could see he was clearly at fault.

Tink
08-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Ach. I'm sorry your car is a total loss, but honestly given the damage it sustained, best to get a new one. :hug2:

I do understand about falling in love with your car though. When we had to replace our little white car we both felt terrible. Silly in some ways.

I still do not believe that given the damage his car must have sustained, that the police cannot do something more than talk with him. How flipping ridiculous is that? :(

catrancher
08-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Grrrr.... ! :hopmad:

I'd try to find some witnesses and sue the miserable so and so to within an inch of his life!

Tom (:macwave:... to mad to speak!)

uscwest
08-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Sorry John - some members asked where I'd been the past few days so I thought I'd start a thread but I started it after the accident. :lol:
Here you go.....

I was sationary in my car at the time, pulled up behind another car waiting to turn right. As the car in front started to pull away, I quickly glanced in my mirror just in time to see a windscreen come through my car.

Took me a while to gather myself together and get out the car. The taxi driver was already out his car, checking it over and complaining about lost fares and the damage to his car.

He told me that a dog had ran out in front of him and that's why he crashed into me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said "sorry, but I didn't see any dog and, if a dog ran in front of you - wouldn't you put your brakes on, not accelerate into me?" He then changed his story to something else catching his eye, to looking for an address sign etc.

He wrote his details down for me and gave me the wrong registration number which I had the sense to check. He snatched the piece of paper from me and wrote the correct number down.

He basically just wanted to get away before anyone saw what he had done. He never once said sorry or asked if I was ok. He left me standing crying in the middle of the road.

I got back into my car and managed to take it around the corner to a quiet street out the way of traffic. There is a club right where it happened and people were outside smoking at the time - they all went inside.

I just sat and like a sissy - cried. Gathered myself together a bit and rang Dave at work who came straight to get me. He called the police then took me straight to hospital.

Hospital was no fun. I waited nearly two hours before a doctor was available. They thought I may have cracked my neck so they strapped me to a board, put a block around my head, then taped my head to the block. They took quite a few x-rays. Thankfully, i got away with whiplash, sprained wrist and pulled muscles down my right arm and leg. I was given painkillers and sent home in the morning.

I am having this week off from work as my job involves a lot of lifting and scrubbing floors which I just couldn't do right now. Have doctors appointment Monday morning.

Police came to the house. They can't prosecute the taxi driver as no one would say they witnessed the accident. So, they said within the next couple of weeks, they would go see him and caution him for wreckless driving.

Wow sure would NOT have worked like that in the US. Taxi driver would have had to wait for police to show up or been arrested for Hit and Run. You would have been transported to the hospital in an ambulance (I wouldn't have even have gotten out of the car until the police arrived) and the taxi driver would most certainly have been cited and ticketed. Your car would have been taken off by a tow truck to a location where your insurance company could assess the damage.

Rosie0610
08-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow Diane, just seeing this now. I'm so sorry this happened! Sending lots of :hug2: and well wishes!!

I agree with everyone else (well from the US anyway) that the police should be able to see from the damage that it is the cab drivers fault! Plus, he tried to give you incorrect info-and drove off just leaving you there! That is terrible all they can do is 'warn' him! What will he do next time??

daveann
08-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Aw diane I had missed this too hope you feel better soon cars can be replaced you can't x

Britchick
08-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Sorry to here this Diane, :hug2:

Crazycatlady
08-07-2010, 08:13 PM
:hug2: poor you. Hope it all works out ok

josh.p.
08-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Arghhhh! How annoying that the police can't prosecute them :sigh: I can't believe that having no witnesses means they can't prosecute! How frustrating!

keith
08-07-2010, 09:43 PM
strange isnt it. CCTV cameras all over the place and if they want to find you parking in the wrong spot, or holding a cell phone, there's a camera with you on it somewhere. Something like this happens and no one bothers to check if it's been recorded somewhere

tb2830
08-07-2010, 09:53 PM
dont worry diane i'll come up and help find him then beat him with my frying pan :yes:

Isafari
09-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys - it is rather frustrating and I am a little mad at him getting away with it like this. I know it was an accident but the way he treated me and lied to me, tried to give me wrong info etc :nono:

dont worry diane i'll come up and help find him then beat him with my frying pan :yes:

:fryingpan:

strange isnt it. CCTV cameras all over the place and if they want to find you parking in the wrong spot, or holding a cell phone, there's a camera with you on it somewhere. Something like this happens and no one bothers to check if it's been recorded somewhere

There is a camera outside the club but it ran out of range about 20 feet behind were it happened.

Kate
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I cannot believe that he could get away with this - thats absolutely disgraceful!!!! He blatently knows it was his fault which is why he lied and gave you all the wrong information, for him to get away with things is just incredibly wrong - and the fact that he just drove off and left you, well im utterly speechless. Neither can i believe that nobody will come forward and say they witnessed it, what is wrong with society!

Im glad you werent seriously hurt, mustve really shaken you up :hug2:

Isafari
09-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Im glad you werent seriously hurt, mustve really shaken you up :hug2:

Thanks Kate :hug2: I'm counting myself very lucky after being shown the damage to the underside of the car.

Deb
09-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Blimey Diane, that's dreadful! You must have gotten a real shock. I hope you're feeling better really soon...as others have said cars can be replaced. but there's only one lovely you :hug2:

Wendy
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
:hug2: :hug2:

mumof2
09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
OMG Diane....i don't know what to say, i'm speechless :hug2:

:hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2:

Tinkfan
10-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I would have cried too. But I don't understand that if you were hit from behind and have the taxis info why something can't be done? The other posters from the US are right, he would have been arrested leaving the scene.

Isafari
10-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I can claim damage for my car (which is a write off) from the insurance but the police can't prosecute without witnesses, only caution him. I know it doesn't sound fair but that's the way it goes here.

MystikPiglit
10-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Yikes, what an awful experience for you. :comfort:

ukwdwnut
10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I can claim damage for my car (which is a write off) from the insurance but the police can't prosecute without witnesses, only caution him. I know it doesn't sound fair but that's the way it goes here.

sue him thru the small claims courts di

Isafari
10-07-2010, 06:27 PM
sue him thru the small claims courts di

We're using WINNS solicitors who are dealing with it all Mick

ukwdwnut
10-07-2010, 06:32 PM
We're using WINNS solicitors who are dealing with it all Mick

ok cool...you should get a few quid i know just whiplash was /is about 3k payout

Isafari
14-07-2010, 03:25 PM
:crywave: that's it - car's gone. Just left with an empty space now - can I have some fiddle playing please :(

tb2830
14-07-2010, 07:15 PM
:crywave: that's it - car's gone. Just left with an empty space now - can I have some fiddle playing please :(
:hug2: cant find a fiddle playing smilie

Isafari
14-07-2010, 08:25 PM
:hug2: cant find a fiddle playing smilie

:lol: you actually looked :jawdrop: :hug2:

Tinkerbell
15-07-2010, 06:53 AM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/theogrit/1sm165violin.gif

:taunt:

Seriously though, it's only a car - you are so much more important :hug2:

Slowhand
15-07-2010, 09:45 AM
It`s time to order the Ferrari now Diane. :drivecar:

Esmeralda
15-07-2010, 05:45 PM
So sorry to hear this, just catching up with things :( Totally disgusted at how he seems to have gotten away with it. Hope you don't suffer long term whiplash, it can be real nasty.

Isafari
16-07-2010, 05:37 PM
[IMG] Seriously though, it's only a car - you are so much more important :hug2:

Awe :hug2:

It`s time to order the Ferrari now Diane. :drivecar:

couldn't afford the insurance let alone the car!!

Hope you don't suffer long term whiplash, it can be real nasty.

thanks Esmeralda