PDA

View Full Version : Alligator snapping turtle found in Birmingham

josh.p.
09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
An angler pulled a huge alligator snapping turtle out of a lake in Birmingham!

Shell-Shocked Angler Catches Giant Turtle - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100709/tod-shell-shocked-angler-catches-giant-t-870a197.html)

The pet trade in these has a lot to answer for :sigh: They are bad enough selling all the red eared sliders and saying "they'll only go as big as the tank". At least the RES pose no threat to the UK wildlife.

I get people asking me questions through my website about leopard and sulcata tortoises and I always advise that they don't buy one because of the size they get to. 80% of the time I get another email months down the line "Oh yes we bought a leopard because the pet shop said they only stay small... but now it's winter and we can't afford it's heating bills so please will you find it a new home"

:sigh: It really depresses me how irresponsible a lot of the people in the pet trade are in the UK :sigh: Thankfully there are a handful that are responsible but the vast majority (and I speak from experience, I get at least 3-4 emails a day from people all over the country who have been mis-sold things for their reptiles through pet shops) are not :sigh:

I'll stop moaning and get off my soap box now!

Tink
10-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Passion is not a bad thing, Josh! :hug2:

Just heard a report on the news here that San Fransisco is considering BANNING the sale of all pets except for fish. Anyone who wants a pet will have to get one from the shelters and rescue centers...

josh.p.
10-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Passion is not a bad thing, Josh! :hug2:

Just heard a report on the news here that San Fransisco is considering BANNING the sale of all pets except for fish. Anyone who wants a pet will have to get one from the shelters and rescue centers...

I think san fransisco is being very responsible by considering that course of action :yes: If people want to buy a pet *that* much they can travel elsewhere to buy one.

I'd be worried it would force the trade 'underground' though :yes:

Tink
10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
That and it obviously would put shops out of business in such an economic hard time already.

I'm not a fan of pet shops for selling animals. Pet "things" fine, but not the animal itself.

Fish are another matter. Selling fish from a shop is almost necessary.

josh.p.
10-07-2010, 10:38 AM
I'd say they make most of their money from pet supplies anyway really, as well as items you need to buy more than once, like food or UVB lights that need replacing every 6 months.

Tink
10-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Yes, I agree. Also, if they were just selling supplies their overhead should decrease, and therefore their profits increase? :unsure: I am not an economics expert. :D

I thought the whole idea was very interesting. Not sure they will be able to do it, as free enterprise is a very sacred cow here...

Tinker
10-07-2010, 09:51 PM
WoW that is one huge turtle and looks mean . Josh, its not only people in the UK that are irresponsible . In the subarb of our town, two iguanas are on the lose . One woman startled by it stated its about 3 feet long . Then across the bridge in PA , an 8 foot Burmese Python was laying on the bank of the river digesting a goose . It's Sad , Truly Sad !