PDA

View Full Version : Best Disney Tip you've ever been told?

Disfan
22-07-2008, 11:53 AM
We're off soon and every time I tell anyone at work they give me another tip :rolleyes008: most are useless :lol: but some are really good, so whats the best tip you have ever been given?

keith
22-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I think the best tip I was ever given was, after having booked loads of trips with travel agents, someone said "no one ever pays full rate @ disney, you can get loads of discounts on rooms" :rolleyes008:

We'd just stayed at the Wilderness lodge and Polynesian with no discounts at all, and when I worked out how much we'd have saved using AAA or AP discounts, we would have saved thousands!

So now the first thing we do is work out roughly when we want to go, look at historic data for AP and AAA discounts, factor in the potential for free dining etc. then work out the flights.

There are other things like the bounceback offers which got us about 40% off our December trip when we booked the rooms before we left in May

Dawn
22-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Get up early and get to the park for opening. Get loads done before the crowds build up.

Claire
22-07-2008, 12:19 PM
To go in the first place!

Ursula
22-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Buy your bottled water from the supermarket NOT the parks. Then freeze them and take them frozen on the day.... cold drinks all day long.

ukwdwnut
22-07-2008, 02:13 PM
a couple from me

get there for opening, which we always do anyway.....one for shamu show, sit further back than 14 rows to keep dry :lol:

Skywatcher
22-07-2008, 02:15 PM
take time to sit down and watch the world go by

Dawn
22-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Don't try and do everything.

Shellyamc
22-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Relax and have fun!!! Don't plan every little detail and then get P***y if you don't get every little thing done! It will never happen:p015:

I never want to be one of those angry people at Disney yelling at my kids and family because things are not going as planned. If Katelyn wants a nap then we will all take a nap and if she wants to look at a flower for 10 minutes then we will stand around and take pictures :p015:

SleepinCatz
22-07-2008, 06:44 PM
look for the Disney forums and chat with ppl that go often. That turned out to be the best advice I was ever given.

Johnie
22-07-2008, 06:54 PM
It's cheaper to book it yourself than through someone else.

Shellyamc
22-07-2008, 07:01 PM
It's cheaper to book it yourself than through someone else.

Nooooo

It's cheaper to have Johnie book than anyone else :p015:

Johnie
22-07-2008, 07:02 PM
:hug2: that could be true. Finding the best deal is like a game to me.

Shellyamc
22-07-2008, 07:11 PM

I totally understand. I do pretty well with sales and good deals, but I know I could learn a lot from you :p015:

luvthemouse
22-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Make ADR's!! And always check back if you can't get an ADR you want...

Ursula
23-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Look at the tiny detailing everywhere.... so much thought has gone into it and it's easy to miss as you rush through in a panic like the day isn't going to be long enough to see everything all at once.

josh.p.
23-07-2008, 07:21 AM
I think the best tip I was ever given was, after having booked loads of trips with travel agents, someone said "no one ever pays full rate @ disney, you can get loads of discounts on rooms" :rolleyes008:

We'd just stayed at the Wilderness lodge and Polynesian with no discounts at all, and when I worked out how much we'd have saved using AAA or AP discounts, we would have saved thousands!

So now the first thing we do is work out roughly when we want to go, look at historic data for AP and AAA discounts, factor in the potential for free dining etc. then work out the flights.

There are other things like the bounceback offers which got us about 40% off our December trip when we booked the rooms before we left in May
Okay... showing my disney ignorance... but whats AAA ?

I know AP is annual pass..

The best tip I ever got was to go freeze bottled water from walmart- so good if you're travelling in July!!!!

Skywatcher
23-07-2008, 07:36 AM
American Automobile Association

Grammiepo
23-07-2008, 10:57 AM
If you have two lines, always go to the left. Most people will go to the right.

Steven
23-07-2008, 10:59 AM
SHERBERTH ROAD! If your staying up the west end of the US 192.

foreverducky
23-07-2008, 11:48 AM
you can get a cup of water for free, just ask

BevW
23-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Ok, so for my next trip, I'm calling you first!

forgot to post my tip....when a line splits...go to the left..don't go to the right..EVERYone turns to the right.

Johnie
23-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Call away my dear! :hug2:

Tink
23-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Black Lake is even better than Sherberth, Steve. :yes: It's west of the left turn for Sherberth, and "t"s into Sherberth where you'll take a left. :yes:

Best tip I was given? Hmmmmm... "Go back. You'll like it, honest!"

PsychoAlice
23-07-2008, 11:03 PM
my tip? Leave the kids at home.....

mainecoon lover
28-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Don't rush and try to do everything. You will not enjoy it as much as you would if you take it in your stride. You can go back to do the things you were not able to do.

Shogun
30-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Re: The First Official Disney Secrets Get Together :)

Many of you will know this but if you want to ride in the cab of the monorail ask the guard on the station platform very nicely if it would be possible. It can usually be arranged.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/shogun249/CNV00098.jpg

Brits Boy
06-08-2008, 04:42 PM
If you have seen the parades and arent that bothered then go to the biggest rides during that time. Also do the big rides first when there are less queues

mutley1
15-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Get "The Brits guide to Orlando" you can't go wrong with the busy day guide at the back.

wickesy
15-10-2008, 09:07 PM
You can use a Fast Pass any time between the start time and the end of the day, i.e. if the Fast Pass says return between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m you can actually return anytime between 10 a.m. and park closing.

Beccaberry
15-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Do you know I just found that out this trip, David? I had NO idea!!!

Ursula
15-10-2008, 10:17 PM
So why does it say between an hour then? Still it's good to know that one.

Johnie
15-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Do you know I just found that out this trip, David? I had NO idea!!!

:p and everyone but you doubted me when I told ya'll this.

Johnie
15-10-2008, 11:31 PM
So why does it say between an hour then? Still it's good to know that one.

Most people will go within that time frame. But they will always let you in if your late. NEVER early though.

kazzaqld
16-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Not even a minute or two early!!!

(and I believed you Johnie!):yes:

Johnie
16-10-2008, 12:35 AM
:hug2: I will never lead you people astray when it comes to Disney!!

Beccaberry
16-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Not even a minute or two early!!!

(and I believed you Johnie!):yes:

OMG OMG Could you believe that guy?!!?! Talk about a minutemanmcscrooge!

No ma'am. I would NEVER doubt you!! I know better :D

BigThunder
19-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Ok, as stupid as this may be to most of you....I never realized a FastPass was good for the rest of the day. I thought you HAD to return between the two times posted on the pass. Only this last trip was i told that no, you can return any time AFTER the first time posted & be let thru. I cannot tell you how many FP's we tossed because the second time had come & gone & we thought they had expired!! So this was quite joyful to learn!

Watchinherskip
21-10-2008, 05:45 PM

:rolleyes008: I may be calling before we go next time!!!!:p015:

Watchinherskip
21-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Whenever the CMs ask for volunteers, raise your hand! It is a great chance for you to embarass your family!:tongue0011-1:

Johnie
21-10-2008, 06:46 PM
:rolleyes008: I may be calling before we go next time!!!!:p015:

I will be glad to help!

Jodie
22-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Before you get a FP make sure the return time won't block you from getting a new FP for more than and hour or so.

If you get a FP for a brand new wicked popular ride you may be locked out of getting any more for most of the day meaning the time saved queuing for the new ride is spent queuing for the not so new ones instead!

wickesy
22-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Before you get a FP make sure the return time won't block you from getting a new FP for more than and hour or so.

If you get a FP for a brand new wicked popular ride you may be locked out of getting any more for most of the day meaning the time saved queuing for the new ride is spent queuing for the not so new ones instead!

You should never be more than two hours away from getting your next FP. If you get a FP at 10 am and the return time is 6 pm you would still be able to get another FP around Noon.

Yes. You can get another FASTPASS as soon your "window for entering the FASTPASS line" begins.You can get a new FASTPASS up to two hours from the time you actually got your FastPass (it will never be longer than two hours, but can be shorter if it has been programmed into the FP computers to be shorter than 2 hours.) In all cases the time you can get another FastPass is always printed on all FastPasses (if you received an Overridden FastPass because there was a problem with your admission ticket, it will not show a time).

allears.net (http://allears.net/tp/fastpass.htm)

minnie-me
13-01-2009, 09:21 PM
:nono: Don't push the kids too hard to do everything all in 1 trip!!!

It will make them unhappy & miserable & also make you uptight!

Enjoy everyday & take time out just to watch the world go by!:thumbsup:

Vixynne
31-07-2009, 07:25 AM
1) Get "The UNofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" (http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disney-World-Guides/dp/0470285702)...best money invested in the entire trip. Since they're not an official publication of the World, they can tell it like it is (and they do)! This book will take you through every stage of planning your trip, including some amazing touring plans--which work like a charm.

2) If at any point in the trip, the sense of fun/magic/awe is being replaced by clenched-jaw, teeth-gritted "let's just get this done" attitudes, it is time to stop everything and re-assess. If the point of the trip is to make memories, and the only memories you're making are those of meltdowns and unhappiness, do whatever needs doing to recapture the "yay"! Even if it means leaving the park and hitting the hotel pool or taking an attitude-adjustment nap, do it. You're there to have fun, after all!

Faythstar
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I was just going to mention that I read online that they have officially changed the FastPass, and now you have to ride within the limits specified on the ticket. No more waiting around and riding anytime after the first time period. This makes me really sad, because I never even knew this secret until now! :(