robertcraig
26-07-2010, 08:06 PM
what are grits

mumof2
26-07-2010, 08:15 PM
ground corn i believe :unsure:

Britchick
26-07-2010, 08:42 PM
They are very bland so need seasoning, my favourite is shrimp and grits- a good southern dish

wdwgrandma
26-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Another use for grits (because I have NO use for them) is to use them to spackle the walls!

robertcraig
26-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Another use for grits (because I have NO use for them) is to use them to spackle the walls!
so give them a miss

wdwgrandma
26-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Or you could use them to stucco the outside of your house...

robertcraig
26-07-2010, 09:39 PM
now spackle thats a good word

Britchick
26-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Lol Donna! You have to try them Robert before you say you don't like them! :point:

robertcraig
26-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Lol Donna! You have to try them Robert before you say you don't like them! :point:
Imight just be brave enough this year:bounce2:

wdwgrandma
26-07-2010, 09:53 PM
LOL Honey, my mom is a good old country girl. So when it comes to grits, been there, done that - did NOT buy the t-shirt!!!

Oh, they can also be used in place of mortar when doing brick work...

robertcraig
26-07-2010, 09:57 PM
LOL Honey, my mom is a good old country girl. So when it comes to grits, been there, done that - did NOT buy the t-shirt!!!

Oh, they can also be used in place of mortar when doing brick work...
does HOME DEPOT know about that:wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:

Tink
26-07-2010, 09:57 PM
robert, have you ever had polenta? Grits are quite similar. If you load them up with much cheese (and top them with the sauteed shrimp) they are quite palatable! :D (Especially if you use the instant grits... shhhhhh, you didn't hear that part from me)! :eek:

Some folks mix them with scrambled eggs, some slather them in butter and brown sugar. It's all a matter of what you may like.

I'm not a huge fan, but will do the shrimp and cheesy grits. :yes: :D

robertcraig
26-07-2010, 10:02 PM
robert, have you ever had polenta? Grits are quite similar. If you load them up with much cheese (and top them with the sauteed shrimp) they are quite palatable! :D (Especially if you use the instant grits... shhhhhh, you didn't hear that part from me)! :eek:

Some folks mix them with scrambled eggs, some slather them in butter and brown sugar. It's all a matter of what you may like.

I'm not a huge fan, but will do the shrimp and cheesy grits. :yes: :D
I dont see the point in food you have to coat with something else before you can eat it:unsure::unsure:

Tink
26-07-2010, 10:03 PM
They are quite bland. It's a carb, rather like a mashed potato... plain and boring unless mixed with something tasty (at least to me, I'm not a huge fan of mash).

It was a filler for folks who didn't/don't have a lot of money.

wdwgrandma
26-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I dont see the point in food you have to coat with something else before you can eat it:unsure::unsure:
Mom likes hers with butter, salt and pepper or with red-eye gravy.

Polenta is more like "mush" - both usually made with ground yellow corn as opposed to grits, which is usually made from hominy - field corn that is soaked in lye water until the outer layer comes off. The inside is then rinsed and dried and coarsely ground.

Don't forget, you can put it into a small pot or jar and then send it to school for your child to use as glue.

robertcraig
26-07-2010, 10:09 PM
They are quite bland. It's a carb, rather like a mashed potato... plain and boring unless mixed with something tasty (at least to me, I'm not a huge fan of mash).

It was a filler for folks who didn't/don't have a lot of money.
I do like mash potatoes especialy with spring onions and plenty of butter mixed in

Tink
26-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Rather like champ? I like that myself, but mostly prefer them with gravy... still not a big fan of mash. Not much of a Irish Woman, am I?! :embarassed:

robertcraig
26-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Rather like champ? I like that myself, but mostly prefer them with gravy... still not a big fan of mash. Not much of a Irish Woman, am I?! :embarassed:
I think the scots like their champit tatties as well:wiggle::wiggle:

wdwgrandma
26-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Now, I'm not much of a polenta fan - but I love fried mush with syrup for breakfast! Again, a "poor" person's meal, but tasty! With 5 kids, it was a cheap breakfast. Mom made her mush from scratch. Just boiling salted water with corn meal stirred in. Cook until thickened. Pour into a greased loaf pan and refrigerate. Once solid, slice, dredge in flour, and fry in oil.

Tink
26-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I like colcannon too. :yes: A bit better than champ I think. I prefer it with kale, over cabbage. :yes:

Kate
27-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Is grit served at buffets too or is it something that you order? Only ask because we usually go to buffets for breakfast and i dont remember seeing it there - i dont like trying new things i have to buy incase i dont like it, will try most things on a buffet though!! :)

Johnie
27-07-2010, 04:18 PM
It might be on a buffet. It looks like a watery oatmeal.

I don't particularly like grits but they are yummy with shrimp. Go figure.

Kate
27-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Ahhhh, that explains why i wouldnt have tried it then, i dont like that sort of thing so wouldve stayed away from it!

Britchick
27-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I would very much doubt you would get sgphrimp and grits on a buffet. Grits need to be fresh or as Donna said you could wallpaper the walls with them!

Tink
02-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Grits look like Cream of Wheat. :yes: White and a thin mixture, whereas oatmeal is gray and lumpy... :D or oaty, as you prefer.

Grits are smooth. :yes: Like polenta. :yes: Or should be! LOL.

uscwest
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
From my experience grits are a love them or hate them experience. There doesn't seem to be much middle of the road. I don't eat them often but I do enjoy them, especially with a couple of over easy eggs mixed in.

I didn't have them in my family when I was growing up and my first experience with them was in 1969. I was on my way from Rantoul, Illinois to Biloxi, Mississippi. I stopped overnight in Jackson, MS. Then next morning I ordered either bacon and eggs or ham and eggs, I forget which, but out came the plate with this white stuff with butter on it. I had to ask the waitress what it was. She told me it was grits and said she could exchange them for hash browns if I preferred. I told her I had never eaten them before and would give them a try. I enjoyed having something different.

Tink
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Wow John. Totally off topic but Herself lived in Rantoul, Illinois as a child and she was born in Jackson, Mississippi! Her Da was in the Air Force as I'm sure you've worked out! LOL.

Just found it interesting that you were in those same places (and possibly around the same time)!

uscwest
04-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Wow John. Totally off topic but Herself lived in Rantoul, Illinois as a child and she was born in Jackson, Mississippi! Her Da was in the Air Force as I'm sure you've worked out! LOL.

Just found it interesting that you were in those same places (and possibly around the same time)!
Wow, figure the odds on that one Tink. I was in Rantoul from Jun 1967-Sep 1969.

Tink
04-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I'll check with her... I think they were there earlier than that though.