PDA

View Full Version : Cricut bugs?

disneymom
22-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Hiya - does anyone use one of these for scrapbooking? I just use normal printers but my friend has just shown hers to me and Im thinking of all the things I could do with it?

Britchick
23-07-2008, 05:51 PM
i've wondered about buying one of these but they're so expensive. Will the american ones work in the uK? how much are they now?

BevW
23-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I have one, got mine from Donna last year. I normally use mine for scrapbooking, but that's about it. It makes cutting out letters SO much nicer!

keith
25-07-2008, 12:08 AM
i've wondered about buying one of these but they're so expensive. Will the american ones work in the uK? how much are they now?

I'm pretty sure they do! there's a mickey cartridge for them apparently too! I'd love to see one and how they work

disneymom
29-07-2008, 10:02 PM

I really wonder that too because they will be a lot cheaper does anyone know?

disneymom
13-08-2008, 08:26 PM
bump? anyone know more about these machines?

Slowhand
14-08-2008, 01:26 PM
My DW has had one of these for a while now and it has been like an extention to her arm! :lol:
Last year I treated her to a larger machine which was on offer at Michaels at the Loop. It was around half the price you would pay here in the UK and it works perfectly well over here as they are dual voltage.

keith
14-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I still dont really understand what they are :lol: can someone fill me in please? You put card into them and they do what? draw on the card? attach things?

Slowhand
14-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I still dont really understand what they are :lol: can someone fill me in please? You put card into them and they do what? draw on the card? attach things?
They are basically a cutting machine Keith.
You insert the cartridge [of which there are several] and then type in certain things on the key-pad, insert your card or paper onto a sticky pad, insert this into the machine then stand back while it makes a horrible noise as it cuts out the shapes [or letters] that you have programmed.

That`s about as much as I know, card making is a black art to me!:lol:[It keeps Sue happy though!]

keith
14-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks Terry :lol: if it's how everyone makes those AMAZING cards that we receive then it must be good!

Slowhand
14-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks Terry :lol: if it's how everyone makes those AMAZING cards that we receive then it must be good!
Some of them take ages to make Keith.
For example many of the Disney characters are made up from several layers, with each layer being one of the different colours of their attire and some of those bits can be really tiny.

keith
14-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Some of them take ages to make Keith.
For example many of the Disney characters are made up from several layers, with each layer being one of the different colours of their attire and some of those bits can be really tiny.

OMG???? youre kidding?????

I've kept all the homemade cards we were sent last christmas, I'm going to have a look tonight with renewed respect for the time taken. WOW

Slowhand
14-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I've kept all the homemade cards we were sent last christmas, I'm going to have a look tonight with renewed respect for the time taken. WOW
You could always take out the inserts Keith then mail them to someone else, simply putting in a new insert! :lol:

keith
14-08-2008, 02:01 PM
You could always take out the inserts Keith then mail them to someone else, simply putting in a new insert! :lol:

ooo sneaky :lol:

wdwgrandma
19-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I've had mine for almost 2 years, I guess, and I make all our cards.

There are 2 Mickey cartridges (one contains mostly figures and one has Disney fonts), 2 Pooh cartridges, 2 Princess cartridges, a Cars cartridge, and a Tinker Bell cartridge. And there are tons of non-Disney related ones as well. For example, there are 3 different Christmas cartridges.

There are cartridges for travel, sports, etc. And the nice part about the Cricut is that you are not limited to just the size that many of the other die cut machines create. My Cricut Expressions can cut things from 1/4 inch all the way up to approximately 23 inches, I think, and everything in between. The smaller Cricut doesn't have quite the variety of sizes, but they both use the same cartridges.

disneymom
19-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks wdwgrandma Im so tempted

the expression can even do glass etching and vinyl I think and definitely seems the one to have

Are they really hard to use though and do I need a computer?

wdwgrandma
19-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, they can create the stencils you'd use for glass etching, and you can cut vinyl to create wall "pops".

I think the Cricut is super easy to use, and you don't need a computer unless you want to purchase and install Cricut Design Studio - which is a great item tool! It allows you to create your own "welded" words, or items such as the Mickey Snowman on this year's Christmas cards.

disneymom
21-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Yes, they can create the stencils you'd use for glass etching, and you can cut vinyl to create wall "pops".

I think the Cricut is super easy to use, and you don't need a computer unless you want to purchase and install Cricut Design Studio - which is a great item tool! It allows you to create your own "welded" words, or items such as the Mickey Snowman on this year's Christmas cards.

ooo thanks wdwgrandma its good to have a cricut expert :hug2:

disneymom
21-12-2008, 01:38 AM
I meant to ask, does it take standard card or do we have to order special things from cricut themselves?

Slowhand
21-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I meant to ask, does it take standard card or do we have to order special things from cricut themselves?
My DW uses all sorts of card and paper. There is no need to get any special stationary.

wdwgrandma
22-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Provo Craft (Cricut folks) sells paper but I don't buy it. I buy standard card stock. It will also cut vellum.

disneydiva
22-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I have one and love it although its not an expression

Its very addictive but can take ages to build up each level, its my favourite gadget

wdwgrandma
22-12-2008, 07:21 PM
When I first thought about getting one, I wasn't sure I'd have a use or need for it. Now I use it all the time! Combined with other techniques (stamping, etc), you can do so much with it.

I gave away many of my punches because I can do just about anything with the Cricut that I can do with a punch - and in lots more sizes! No more buying a 2" square punch, a 1.5" square punch, etc. I just pop "George" into my Cricut and cut squares any size I want - and as many as I need!

goofygal
22-12-2008, 07:46 PM
do they take up much space and what about the templates to make the shapes, are they expensive to buy?

wdwgrandma
22-12-2008, 08:04 PM
My Cricut Expressions uses 12"x12" paper, so add 3 or 4 inches to each side and you get the size of the machine.

The cartridges you buy (no templates) can cost anywhere from $35 to $100. I buy mine from a couple different websites and get the best price I can - usually considerably less than Michael's wants or what I'd pay if I bought them from the Cricut site.

Each cartridge has multiple functions, so there are usually hundreds of different things per cartridge to cut out.

daveann
22-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Donna have you any piccies of things they produce i am intrested to see what you can do with them

wdwgrandma
22-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Were you on the Christmas card list this year? The Mickey snowman was made with the Cricut.

If you go to the cricut website (cricut.com) you can see the different cartridges that are available.

Slowhand
23-12-2008, 08:48 AM
The cartridges you buy (no templates) can cost anywhere from $35 to $100.
Just a heads up for any UK "Cricutters". The cartidges are a darn sight more expensive over here. For this reason my DW makes sure that we visit Michaels whenever we go over there.