PDA

View Full Version : 'Interesting' morning.....

Deafjeff
09-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi,

This morning I drove passed a police car whom stopped another car....

Next thing I know I was being pulled over for talking on mobile phone while driving....

Okay, two thing here...

I had an itch in the ear so scratching is natural respond....

Also .....

The bonus is...

I am Deaf and cannot hear a thing!

The police officer refused to believe me and thankfully he contacted someone who confirmed that I am Deaf and cannot hear a thing....

He told me to get out of the car when I told him that I was Deaf ho hum....

After 15 mins he decided that I was telling the truth after all and it is impossible for me to use the mobile phone....

I cannot tell you how nervous I was! Even if I have not done anything!!!

So.... it was an interesting morning(!)

Dawn
09-08-2010, 04:13 PM
:jawdrop:

Beccaberry
09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh my!!!!! WOW! Interesting (and stressful!) to say the least!

Do you not have some sort of identification card stating that you're deaf? Something akin to the "medic alert" bracelets that people wear? It seems like it would be useful in situations like these!

Deafjeff
09-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Oh my!!!!! WOW! Interesting (and stressful!) to say the least!

Do you not have some sort of identification card stating that you're deaf? Something akin to the "medic alert" bracelets that people wear? It seems like it would be useful in situations like these!

I know what you mean but I wont have one on a principle....

Beccaberry
09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Fair enough then! :hug2: Hope I didn't offend by asking :sorry: I was really thinking more along the lines of if you were ever hurt or something...I rendered emergency aide to a gentleman a few years ago who was deaf. He was badly hurt and I remember thinking to myself, I wonder how I would have communicated to him if his friend (who did sign) wasn't with him...that's when I decided I wanted to learn to sign! Of course, I'm sure I would have made do...necessity seems to always find a way...but I would have felt awful if he was frightened and I couldn't calm him....

Britchick
09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Somebody needs some training I think! I would personally write a letter into the station. What an idiot! On second thoughts training probably isn't what's needed! :slap:

Deafjeff
09-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Fair enough then! :hug2: Hope I didn't offend by asking :sorry: I was really thinking more along the lines of if you were ever hurt or something...I rendered emergency aide to a gentleman a few years ago who was deaf. He was badly hurt and I remember thinking to myself, I wonder how I would have communicated to him if his friend (who did sign) wasn't with him...that's when I decided I wanted to learn to sign! Of course, I'm sure I would have made do...necessity seems to always find a way...but I would have felt awful if he was frightened and I couldn't calm him....

Oh no offend at all :yes:

I know that I do have a risk but I prefer to take the risk than having a 'label' of you know what I mean?

Deafjeff
09-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Somebody needs some training I think! I would personally write a letter into the station. What an idiot! On second thoughts training probably isn't what's needed! :slap:

Very tempting.........:wiggle:

Beccaberry
09-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Oh no offend at all :yes:

I know that I do have a risk but I prefer to take the risk than having a 'label' of you know what I mean?

UTTERLY and completely know what you mean my friend...I'll make the tiniest of confessions to you...I LOATHE (and never tick off) the check boxes on my children's school forms that identify me as a "single mother." I'm as proud as you can imagine of my children and who they are and who I am, but I hate the "label" it extends.

Deafjeff
09-08-2010, 04:59 PM
You got it! :yes:

If the box asked me if I am proud to be Deaf, boy I'll tick it every time, sadly it just asked me if I am hearing impaired grrr

Kate
09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh blimey!!! Wonder how many people went buy having just hung up from a mobile phone conversation when they saw the police officer talking to an innocent person about it?! Mobile phones being used whilst driving drive me insane, makes me soooo cross!

Deafjeff
09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh blimey!!! Wonder how many people went buy having just hung up from a mobile phone conversation when they saw the police officer talking to an innocent person about it?! Mobile phones being used whilst driving drive me insane, makes me soooo cross!

I must confess that I am the same as you, if I can cope why cant others...

foreverducky
09-08-2010, 09:20 PM
This is hopefully one of those days in which you will laugh about in a few weeks.

josh.p.
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
:sigh: sorry that you had to come across someone so ignorant. What an utter idiot!

Tink
10-08-2010, 12:27 AM
I do think you should take a moment to write the station. Here's why... yes, they stopped you and accused you of something you could never have done, based on your being deaf. I had an acquaintance attending Gallaudet... his roommate was arrested and HANDCUFFED. :hopmad:

Yes, it resulted in his death. :( Now, I know that being wrongly accused of using a mobile while driving is a far cry from handcuffing leading to death (asphyxiation due to anxiety and asthma, but with his hands cuffed he COULDN'T SIGN) but the whole thing is that the police need immediate training to understand the needs of ALL people they protect, not just the majority.

OK. Off my soapbox for now, but this really struck a chord with me. :sorry:

foreverducky
10-08-2010, 01:56 AM
I just feel like I need to make a note related to my above comment. I'm not trying to make light of the situation. It was wrong and the police in this area need more training obviously.

Johnie
10-08-2010, 02:09 AM
Interesting is not the word I'd use. Horrifying would be more apt

I don't like labels either I don't care to be put in a box. Definately speak to someone in that dept

Deafjeff
10-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Thanks guys, it is good to know that people are so supportive here.

Funny enough I work closely with the police in my line of work so will use this opportunity to highlight the failures.

Will keep you all informed due course.....

Deafjeff
10-08-2010, 06:26 AM
I just feel like I need to make a note related to my above comment. I'm not trying to make light of the situation. It was wrong and the police in this area need more training obviously.

I have already had a good laugh (perhaps a bit hurt) but I guess laugh it off and do something about it makes us stronger...

Isafari
10-08-2010, 08:30 AM
:jawdrop: so sorry you went through that Jeff!!

Esmeralda
10-08-2010, 11:24 AM
My little story. I am completely deaf in my right ear and if someone is standing behind me and talks to me I cannot hear them, and sometimes I am not aware that they are even behind me. Several times I have had people ask me to move and I have not heard them, it's not until I turn around that I see them or until they bowl me over calling me ignorant or something else :( One day I turned and saw a woman yelling at me "Are you deaf or something" I was about 17 at the time, and I said to her politely "Well yes I am actually" She was about 45ish at the time and she was mortified and very apologetic, so I let it go, but I bet she never spoke to anyone else like that ever again without thinking.

You can see when people are blind but you cannot see a deaf person. So although labels are not a good thing it could sometimes I suppose be helpful in letting people know that I just haven't heard them and that I am not an ignorant idiot.

Slowhand
10-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Although at the time it must have been a bit unnerving for you Jeff, I would have loved to have been there to see the look on the pc`s face when he realised your situation....priceless. :lol: