PDA

View Full Version : Home from Boston with more sad news

mainecoon lover
01-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi all.

We had a wonderful time in Boston. We are completely in love with the city.

Sadly today Nigel said Tinkerbell our 1 year old Mainecoon did not seem right. I said perhaps she was sad from the death of our other 3 cats and that she had missed us. Sadly she seemed to get worse through out the day. We took her vets and it looks like polycistic on her kidneys. It's an inherited disease and nothing can be done to make her better. We will hear more tomorrow. What makes me really cross is when I spoke to the mil she said she had been sick all weekend yet they did nothing and just left her. I even spoke to them when I got home and nothing was said. All she said today was we wondered when you would notice and her and fill had discussed it looked like she would soon pass. I am so livid it's unreal

Mari
01-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Im really sorry hun :hug2:

Its been really rough in your neck of the woods lately

Tinkfan
01-09-2010, 08:35 PM
:sorry: :hug2: This has been a rough patch for you hun, I hope the news is better than you expect. I guess some people don't get how important our fur babies are. :hug2:

josh.p.
02-09-2010, 12:12 AM
:sigh: I really don't know what to say :hug2:

Shellyamc
02-09-2010, 05:10 AM
How horrible..I just don't even have words:sorry:

How nasty of your mil not to tell you something was wrong:nono:

Lots of hugs and pixie dust for you and your furbabies :hug2:

Tink
02-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Ah no, Michelle. :( Too much sadness for you lately. :hug2:

Kate
02-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Michelle, i cant believe how rough things have been for you later. I dont agree with what your mil did at all, she shouldve told you that things were not right. Really hope theres some good news for you today :hug2:

Dawn
02-09-2010, 07:13 AM
:hug2:

mainecoon lover
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Thank you all.

Tinkerbell is in the vets under going lots of tests still and treatment for liver/pancreas infection. We have to phone at 6pm for an update. They say if the treatment does not work then its something more sinister. I just hope if it is the infection that they have gotten to it in time and that they do not say that she would have stood a better chance if they had seen her earlier.
I have a mixture of emotions and do not know how i will handle seeing the inlaws. Its so heartbreaking, i just keep crying. We were sat here this time last week waiting to hear if we would have to let Rafi go. If we have to let her go dh will have to go say goodbye as i can not go through it again.

Tinkfan
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
:pixiedust::pixiedust::hug2:

DisneyFreak
02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I am without words. So so sorry!!! :sorry: :hug2:

Rosie0610
02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
lots and lots of :hug2: for you!!! Hoping you get some positive news.

Johnie
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
omg hon, I am so sorry :hug2::hug2::hug2: I hope you get good news.

mainecoon lover
02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Still no news really on Tinkerbell. She is in the vets on a drip and its looking like a renal problem as she was dehydrated. All 4 of my cats in the last month have had this problem and one was not a Maine coon. I am starting to really think its their cat food. I do not buy cheap cat food and done some reasearch and seems this has been a big issue in the USA over the last 3 years.

Mari
02-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I already replied in facebook, but I will do so here too..

We had lots of issues with one of our dogs getting constant uti's, lots of blood int he urine too... another of our dogs developed and allergy, he would eat and after eating the food he would just rub and rub his nose and sneeze a lot..

So we just stopped giving them processed pet food, hoping it would help.. and we werent giving them cheap stuff either.. we tried eukanuba and pro plan...

Anyway... after we stopped feeding them pet food... no more uti's and no more allergies!!!

We make them a "stew" ... rice with whatever veggies are available and chicken or meat, or hotdogs or whatever was on sale that week at the market... they love it, eat better and got rid of lots of medical problems

Of course they are not cats, but my mom started doing the same with her cats... usually gives them ham, tuna, chicken, mixed with cooked rice :)

mainecoon lover
02-09-2010, 08:17 PM
I already replied in facebook, but I will do so here too..

We had lots of issues with one of our dogs getting constant uti's, lots of blood int he urine too... another of our dogs developed and allergy, he would eat and after eating the food he would just rub and rub his nose and sneeze a lot..

So we just stopped giving them processed pet food, hoping it would help.. and we werent giving them cheap stuff either.. we tried eukanuba and pro plan...

Anyway... after we stopped feeding them pet food... no more uti's and no more allergies!!!

We make them a "stew" ... rice with whatever veggies are available and chicken or meat, or hotdogs or whatever was on sale that week at the market... they love it, eat better and got rid of lots of medical problems

Of course they are not cats, but my mom started doing the same with her cats... usually gives them ham, tuna, chicken, mixed with cooked rice :)

Thanks hun. I have been using Royal Canin Maine Coon biscuits. We have now removed them all until we know for certain its not this although i think its strange we have had 4 with the same sort of problems

Tinkfan
02-09-2010, 10:16 PM
:hug2: It does sound like that could be the problem, have you contacted the store to see if anyone else has had a problem?

mainecoon lover
03-09-2010, 07:26 AM
:hug2: It does sound like that could be the problem, have you contacted the store to see if anyone else has had a problem?

Not as yet.

Kate
03-09-2010, 08:04 AM
I was going to ask if renal issues were something that maincoons suffered - but if one wasnt a maincoon then there must be a link somewhere and the common factor seems to be their food in your case. Thats shocking to think their food could cause something like this though, there are meant to be strict guidelines for pet food.

Tink
03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't have pets, but a friend of mine does and she's totally dedicated to them. She discovered that "Greenies" meant for relieving bad breath in dogs, was very bad stuff, so the thought that pet food could be the culprit is well worth checking into from what I can tell.

I hope things work out for you Michelle and that you get to the bottom of whatever is making your cats ill.

Esmeralda
03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh no how horrible for you. Hope it turns out good in the end for the poor cat :(

mainecoon lover
03-09-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't have pets, but a friend of mine does and she's totally dedicated to them. She discovered that "Greenies" meant for relieving bad breath in dogs, was very bad stuff, so the thought that pet food could be the culprit is well worth checking into from what I can tell.

I hope things work out for you Michelle and that you get to the bottom of whatever is making your cats ill.

Thanks Hun. Vet said it is looking like poisoning. All any of us can think of is their food. The only other thing is she may of eaten some vomit from Rafi, discusting yes but she is a bit of a fiend for it. Rafi was sick last week and the vet thinks that she was poisoned now. Rafi did go out so a possibility. We have bought different cat food now until we get the all clear it was not the other.

Deafjeff
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
just catching up this thread im so sorry and hope things get better for you all

:comfort:

Kate
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Our cat Wizz died of accute kidney failure a few years ago, the vet said he hadnt seen a case quite as bad as this in all the years he had been a vet. He asked me if Wizz had access to anything such as anti-freeze, it looked like she had drank loads of it and her kidneys just couldnt take it. As far as i was concerend she never, we never really got to the bottom of how or why it happened. Im pleased in a way that you now know whats causing her to be so poorly, it means it can be sorted out :hug2: