PDA

View Full Version : Im sooooo excited!!

Kate
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Just had to share my excitement with you - we are getting guinea pigs!!!!! :mental: :excited: (or wiggies as they are known in our house!!)

I have wanted some for aslong as i can remember and for whatever reason never got any. Well, while we were visiting dd's friends house the other week she took us round to her local pubs back garden (its a small village and the owners dont mind the kids playing in the garden as theres play equipment there) and they had the cuuuuutest baby wiggies. Anyway, after not alot of thought on my part - more "how do i break it to the husband" thoughts ive decided im going to get some! Tomorrow we are going to see them and choose our new family members, they are still only little at the moment and cant live with us for another 3wks yet - but both me and dd are soooo excited!
Need to speak to grandad when he gets back from hols to see if he can make his grandaughter a hutch for "her" knew wiggies!

Tinkfan
03-09-2010, 01:04 PM
:bounce: Glad you're so excited! have you thought of names yet?

Kate
03-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Not yet - not sure whether we are getting 2 girlies or 2 boys - whats for certain though is we will most definately not be getting one of each!
Will have a chat with my little girl tomorrow - she's only 3, so it will probably me something tv related! :lol:

daveann
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I had a Ginger and white one as a child he was such a character my dad used to get home at 4.15 every evening he used to squeak like crazy at that time as daddy used to bring home leaves from near work :)

Crazycatlady
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Oooooh lovely. Defiantely check on the boy/girl details though! I remember having 2 'girls' that managed to produce 4 litters:unsure:

Kate
03-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I had a Ginger and white one as a child he was such a character my dad used to get home at 4.15 every evening he used to squeak like crazy at that time as daddy used to bring home leaves from near work :)

I love how they do that!! The house a couple of doors down has one, he goes mad when one of the people that live there goes out in the garden, and do you know what - ive never heard them speak to him, i think thats really sad :sigh:

Will definately be checking on the boy/girl thing - especially as they are related themselves!!!

mainecoon lover
03-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I think it's lovely for children to have pets. It helps to give them a knowledge of responsibility for later in life.

Kate
03-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I think it's lovely for children to have pets. It helps to give them a knowledge of responsibility for later in life.

I completely agree Michelle :yes:

Tink
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Nice!!! Have fun with your new family members! :yes:

Dawn
03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
:mental: :mental: :mental:

Piggies are the best. I only have 2 right now but will be expanding shortly. Just make sure they have matching bottom parts and you'll be fine. :D

Kate
03-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Dawn, you wouldnt believe how long i have wanted some - i cant wait!!! There was a grey long haired one that i fell in love with when we were just visiting, he's still there and ready to go so im going to see if he's in with his brother or sister!
They had hutches divided by wire and the wiggies could all see one another, do you think they would let me have one from each side or do you think they would fight if brought together even though they are virtually next door to each other? (they are seperated by age rather than bottomy bits)

Mari
03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
oh nice Kate!!

love guinea pigs!! but my dogs would love... to eat them.. so.. not getting any ....

Kate
04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Oh, best to give the guinea pigs a miss then Mari! :lol:

We are going to see them today to choose ours, given that there are 2 which are ready to go i think i might take my carrier *just* incase we fall in love with them! Isabelle has decided that if we get boys she will call one of them Barney - undecided on the other boy or if its girls!

Kate
04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
We have a wiggie!!! At the moment we just have one, we are going back in a couple of weeks to get his step brother - the very nice man assures me that they will get on ok, i hope he's right :unsure:
Isabelle has named him Barney. He seems to be very grumpy at the moment and is spending alot of time jumping around very quickly when i put my hand in - im sure im going to get bitten! Im putting it down to being frightened and i hope he settles down a bit.

Any advice for me? never owned a pig before!!

Dawn
04-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Leave him for a couple of days to settle in before trying to handle him. He'll be very frightened at the moment. Then just put you hand in his home and just leave it for a bit so he knows the smell. Then after a couple of days just pick him up and hold him (tightly as they can wriggle) for a bit. Sit him on your lap and stroke him gently. He'll soon get used to it and will love having cuddles.

When you get a second one expect a few nipped ears and stuff as they have to have a bit of a squabble to establish the heirarchy. Just let them get on with it unless they start to draw blood. If that happens then part them with something like a dustpan - not your hand :eek: - and when they've calmed down let them get on with it again.

Photo please. :D

Kate
04-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Thank you Dawn - thats helpful! I was holding him earlier and he didnt seem to mind too much, its a different story now but ive just left him to it and have a general chat to him instead! Im looking forward to the day he squeaks when he sees me!

Will have a dustpan ready!

Kate
04-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Here he is - Barney :D! Hope it worked - will take more when he's settled in a bit!

Kate
04-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Yaaaaaaaay i did it!!!! :mental:

Dawn
04-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Ohohohohohohoh he's beautiful. I want a Barney. :mental:

josh.p.
04-09-2010, 08:10 PM
He's lovely :mental:

Crazycatlady
04-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Cuteness:love2:

Kate
05-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Thank you! I saw him a couple of weeks ago and fell in love - there was no hope for me really! :lol:
I really hope he settles in here, id be gutted if i had a little piggy that didnt like cuddles :sigh:

Kate
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Ok, getting somewhere with the piggie! He will now let me sit there by his cage and smooth him, but you do anything that makes him think you are trying to pick him up and he doesnt like that at all - he sort of jumps up in the air but turns at me if that makes sense? Im pleased i can smooth him though, im guessing in time when he settles in he will be happy for me to pick him up. No noises yet either.
He must trust me somewhat though as the only time he eats is when im sat out there with him - is this normal? He doesnt eat a thing during the day, doesnt come out of his bed, but when im out there with him he will happily sit and munch!

Tink
09-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Oh such a pretty piggie!!!