PDA

View Full Version : 1 week beyond our return to reality...

Hex
04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Well it has now been a week since the end of our trip to Orlando, and reality has reasserted itself fully... such is life.

Compared to Dawn, i do not tend to suffer the post-disney-blues, so it can be easier for me to adjust back into real life. 3 days of jet-lag not withstanding!

Anyway, looking back I now have some great memories of our 2 weeks over in Orlando. While this holiday was a long time in coming (7 years since the last disney holiday), it was worth the wait because Steven was with us, and now at a perfect age to really appreciate the experience. And through his eyes, we all gained a new level of enjoyment ... and earache from the almost continuous monologue he was generating, fuelled by sensory-overload mixed with his rather wild imagination!

Some good bits among many:

Food - oh yes, i need say no more!
Villa & private pool - fantastic, would much prefer to do that again than a hotel.
Parks & Disney in general - do i even have to give a specific reason?
Air Conditioning :D

Not-so-good:

High humidity - i do not personally cope too well with humidity... putting on sunscreen was amusing, as it was just sliding straight off me!
8+ hours flights & all the airport stuff - such is the reality for those of us this side of the big pond.
2 weeks of relentless activity catching up on you when you get home, on top of jetlag - i felt like a zombie on my first day back at work.
Returning to the normal daily routine...

And as i sit here staring at the post-holiday ironing mountain that i am avoiding doing, a random thought occured to me:

"Cargo Shorts (http://www.marksandspencer.com/North-Coast-Cotton-Washed-Shorts/dp/B0030JIF8W?_encoding=UTF8&categoryNodeID=43371030&node=344138031&mnSBrand=core&ref=sr_1_4&qid=1283596690&sr=1-4&rh=&page=) are Awsome!!!" - I took 3 pairs of them with me, and a another pair with detachable lower legs (specifically to defeat mosquito's while at Kennedy Space Centre).

Given that my primary role while going around the parks was "pack mule", i ended up carrying a lot of stuff.... and at one point i had 4 drinks bottles riding in the cargo pockets ... so useful! :D

Ah well, better go climb Mount Ironing!

Dawn
04-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I have a black cloud all around me.

Getting back to school was good though. Everytime a senior staff member popped into our class and asked who did anything good over the summer my hand was the first one up. :lol:

I will do the trip report, honest injun. Just give me more time please. Unlike last trip, I now work full time. I will put more photos up too.

Oh and I think cargo shorts are brilliant too. :D

keith
04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm usually ready to come back after a couple of weeks but then once actually back reality hits :( sigh

The airport and eight/nine hour flights are hideous though and though I know they're worth it, I wish someone would invent a teleportation system.

I don't do cargo shorts though, I just don't think I could inflict that upon America :lol:

Great that you folks had such a brilliant time and I'm loving the trip reports

Tinkfan
04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
:wave: Sounds like a great trip, reality stinks sometimes!!!!It's just so nice being all together as a family and having to go back at first kinda sucks :yes: But you can start planning the next trip!

MystikPiglit
04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
it was worth the wait because Steven was with us, and now at a perfect age to really appreciate the experience. And through his eyes, we all gained a new level of enjoyment

Sharing WDW with a child is really special. :thumbsup:

uscwest
04-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Having made many long intercontinental trips when I was traveling for work I can empathize with you. It does take a while to get caught up but it can certainly be well worth it.

josh.p.
04-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Long flights TO a destination don't bother me, but as soon as it's 'home time' for me, I just want to be home. I hate dealing with airports coming home from somewhere.

Glad you are settling back into the routine of being home, hopefully your mood will lighten, Dawn :yes:

Kate
04-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Gosh, has it been a week already!!! Im not so bad on the flight out its the one coming back that i dont like, theres nothing that can make me sleep on a plane and i end up being absolutely exhausted!

mainecoon lover
04-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Pleased to hear you had a great time. I to am one thats happy to fly there but hate the thought of the journey coming home.

kazzaqld
05-09-2010, 03:15 AM
I can fly for 6 hours and still not have left Australia - you guys are wimps! :D

Here to the UK is an average of 27 hours depending on the connections you get.

To the East Coast of the US is about 20-24.

I do sympathise with the post-Disney blues though - those I understand!

daveann
05-09-2010, 07:52 AM
It's the worst feeling when you get home :(