PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean when...

Claire
09-09-2010, 05:52 PM
A school is "locked down"? I've never heard of it happening here in the UK.

I follow the Orlando Sentinel on Twitter and it seems like every few minutes a school is locked down for various reasons. The latest one is at Winter Park High School whilst police investigate a robbery.

Dawn
09-09-2010, 05:58 PM
It means everyone is confined to their rooms.

Tink
09-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Everyone is locked into the school and no one goes in or out until the situation is resolved. It's a prison term meaning that all prisoners are locked into their cells until the "incident" is over or resolved, whatever that incident may be.

Claire
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Ah! Thank you both.

Kate
09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Oooh, i dont like the sound of it! :unsure:

uscwest
09-09-2010, 07:20 PM
They had to lock down a school up in Bethesda, Maryland yesterday or the day before because gun shots had been fired in the vicinity. The suspect later turned himself in up in Pennsylvania.

Mari
09-09-2010, 07:54 PM
its scary... but it also means something is being done to keep the kids safe

Johnie
09-09-2010, 08:00 PM
It's usually related to a violent threat or drugs. When I was in high school, we would get locked down so the drug dogs could come through. Now that sounds bad, doesn't it? But that was back in the 80's and I lived out in the affluent suburbs. Supposedly where that sort of stuff doesn't happen haha

lisaw
09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
We have a lock down policy in the schools here because we are close to Broadmoor - the alarm is tested every Monday morning, at any other time the schools are all closed and we have to pick the children up and sign them out individually!

Dawn
10-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Every school has a lock down policy in place somewhere in its files.

It doesn't necessarily need an incident inside the school to invoke the policy, but somewhere nearby which could mean the school becoming involved, for example if a suspect tries to get into and hide in a school.

lozzy
10-09-2010, 10:05 AM
We had it happen at our sons Primary school a few years ago, all the parents had arrived to collect the children and the gates had been opened, some parents were in the school grounds but others were outside the grounds, Everything was normal until suddenly 2 teachers run out and locked the school gates, locking parents in and out of the grounds. we asked what was going on but nobody would say anything. We just had to wait, children weren't let out of classes and parents were just asked to wait where they were, It was a little scary and worrying at the time.
After about 30mins the gates were opened and children were able to go home, we then asked what had happened.
It turned out a child had seen a man in the field next to the school with a gun, so for safetly reason the school was locked until the police arrived.
The man was found and thank god it turned out he had a fake gun.
What was worrying afterwards was they keep our children safe but were happy for the parents to wait in and outside the school grounds.

Tink
10-09-2010, 11:58 AM
A friend of mine told me that they brought in a TANK to a school near Kissimmee yesterday! :eek: Supposedly, marijuana was found at the school...