PDA

View Full Version : Our Lola cat is missing :(

Deb
13-09-2010, 05:19 AM
I'm so upset. Yesterday afternoon I forgot to monitor our "new" cat Puds and dog Sorrel - they are still getting to know each other and only have supervised visits for now. I heard almighty barking and yowling and saw that Sorrel had Puds pinned in a corner and I panicked, really shouting and screaming at Sorrel to leave him alone and for Garry to come in from the garden and help. Puds got away and wasn't phased in the least, it seems it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it looked and she was just teasing him, and I'd totally overreacted. I am usually so calm and nothing much gets me panicked, it's not like me. 20 minutes later we noticed our lovely cat Lola was missing - we think she must have gotten so spooked she bolted through the open door into the woods. She never gets spooked about anything, but Garry said I had sounded dreadful :( The awful thing is she is an indoor cat, and only comes out for supervised walks with us in the garden, and has never been out on her own for more than 20 minutes. We searched for her from then till we went to bed, and nothing. Garry "slept" by the front door in case she came back but this morning there is still no sign. We are both so scared for her as she has no idea how to look after herself and I don't even know if she has a sense of direction. I thought she might be holed up somewhere frightened, and am hoping as it gets light she will emerge. If not I'll take Sorrel into the woods to look for her, but we are only assuming she bolted up there, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I feel dreadful, especially after our other cat Mr Darcy going missing 3 months ago. I feel as if I have let her down so badly, she should never have got out.

Any spare pixiedust, prayers or whatever else you have would be so appreciated. I'm so scared for her and we love her so much, she's such a character....sorry for the rambling :(

Tinkerbell
13-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Aw Deb :hug2: :hug2:

Come home Lola!

:pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust:

daveann
13-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Oh deb how awful for you I know your animals are like your children :hug2: hope you find her soon xx

Crazycatlady
13-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Oh no:sorry:

Fingers crossed for her safe return today:hug2:

Johnie
13-09-2010, 06:44 AM
:hug2::hug2: oh no. I hope she returns safe and sound.

Kate
13-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Aw no :( Im sure Lola wouldnt have gone too far, especially if shes not sure of her surroundings, hopefully shes just sitting up a tree somewhere.
Thinking of you all today, i hope she comes home soon :hug2:

Deb
13-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks everyone :hug2:

Sorrel and I have been out for an hour looking for her and shouting, but nothing :( Going to have a coffee and go out again.....she only has a little voice so we couldn't hear her unless we were right next to her, but if she is close by and safe I can't understand why she won't come out to see us.

lisaw
13-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Oh no :( Hope he hasn't gone far and she comes back very soon :hug2::hug2:

Claire
13-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Sending shedloads of :pdust: Deb. Come home Lola. Mummy is worried!

Lisa1976
13-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Oh no Deb really sorry to hear that. Have you looked up In the trees too just in case she went up. Hope you find her :hug:

foreverducky
13-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, look high and low. Maybe you could put out her favorite food in the yard and maybe she would smell it. This was obviously an accident, try not to be so hard on yourself. :hug2:

daveann
13-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Any news deb :hug2:

foreverducky
13-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Does Lola have a favorite toy that makes noise? I know that most cat toys are based more on the visual, but sometimes they have bells. Just throwing out ideas.

mainecoon lover
13-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Awe Hun I understand how you are feeling. I hope and pray Lola comes home soon. If you see her go low to the ground and encourage her to come to you, they freak if approached with at Hightower when they have been spooked.

Deb
13-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and advice everyone :hug2:

Still no news, we really can't understand it, it's so out of character for her :( Today and tonight we have dreadful weather with gale force winds, so we hope she's tucked in the woods where it's calmer. The wind is so noisy we doubt she could hear us until we were upon her (or her toys or anything), and we certainly couldn't hear her teeny tiny voice, though we have had the dogs bark for her as she loves them and their voices go farther than ours. We have been out there altogether for about 9 hours today all told, we can't imagine she would have gone much further than our local woods, though of course she may have done. We have put flyers through the local doors, thought the nearest house is a quarter of a mile away and we don't think she could go that far. She can't really run much distance, and has a little respiratory problem which means she gets out of breath quite quickly. I have contacted the local vets and national RSPCA with her details in case a cat matching her description comes in. This is gross, but we have also spread the contents of her litter tray in the woods very close to our house - apparently the smell will be very pungent to her and point the way home. Worth a try.

So, by the look of it another sleepless night. It's one thing losing a cat who goes out to hunt. but we never thought we'd be searching for Lola. She is the most homely cat we know and loves it here so much. Basil (our youngest dog) is really mssng her as she is his sleeping pal and likes to chew his legs. Tomorrow if she isn't back we are taking Basil out on his lead in the woods as he has the most amazing nose in the world.

We so need her to come back :( The house is too quiet without her and her cuddles.

daveann
13-09-2010, 07:26 PM
oh deb i had hoped you had found her :(

mainecoon lover
13-09-2010, 08:06 PM
:hug2::hug2:

Tink
14-09-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm so sorry Debs. :hug2: Sending you every good wish for a good resolution to this. I hope you find Lola, safe and sound today. :hug2:

foreverducky
14-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I hope she comes home soon and safe!

mainecoon lover
14-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Any news

Kate
14-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I expect you are out looking for Lola right now - hope you find her soon :hug2:

Tinkfan
14-09-2010, 02:19 PM
:hug2::hug2: Just saw this, I'm so sorry, it's awful when they bolt like that. I think the liter box was a great idea. Hope she comes home soon.:pixiedust:

Deb
14-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Still nothing despite me being out a lot today with Sorrel :( Garry is out there right now with his 2 teenage sons and Basil looking....the wind is dreadful though and is set to carry on for another couple of days....voices are just being carried away. We'll keep looking though....thanks so much for your thoughts everyone, your support means a lot :hug2:

foreverducky
14-09-2010, 03:49 PM
I wish that I was there to help. Arthur and I would go for a long walk outside and do our best. :hug2:

Mari
14-09-2010, 03:56 PM
:hug2:

I hope she finds her way home soon Deb

DisneyFreak
14-09-2010, 04:49 PM
:hug2:

Lola will come home soon!

mumof2
14-09-2010, 05:35 PM
oh no Deb :hug2::hug2:

josh.p.
14-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I hope you find her soon :hug2: I'm sure her natural instinct will kick in if she is out there, I bet she'll be fine. Sending plenty of :pixiedust: as you might be out of your mind with worry :sigh: Is it at all possible she has hidden somewhere in the house and gotten trapped?

Esmeralda
14-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Oh no how heart breaking :( I'm so sorry for you, hope she comes home soon.

foreverducky
15-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Any news?

Shellyamc
15-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Still thinking of little Lola..

I hope she finds her way home very soon :hug2:

Deb
15-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone :hug2: Still nothing :(

Josh, I at first thought she may be in the house or garage and kept looking, but I think by now she's have come out, or more to the point, the dogs would have sniffed her out.

Been out in the woods this morning again, but today I'm going to put out more flyers, widen my search, and go to the only shop we have nearby and put a poster in the window. She could have wandered the other way, towards the village. It would be out of character for her to do so, but it would also have been out of character for her to bolt which is what we've been assuming. We have no idea what happened in the half hour or so before we noticed she was missing. So I will be considering all options.

Please keep sending the magic dust and the good thoughts, it helps :hug2:

mumof2
15-09-2010, 09:56 AM
:hug2::hug2:

:pixiedust::pixiedust:

Tink
15-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Hoping Lola comes home today! :hug2: :hug2: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust:

mainecoon lover
15-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Sorry to hear Lola is still missing :hug2:. I hope she comes home soon
:pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust:

uscwest
15-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Deb so sorry to hear about you beloved cat. Hope that she does eventually turn back up. I know it really hurts to lose one no matter how it happens.

foreverducky
15-09-2010, 03:34 PM
How's it going? I keep popping in, in hopes that you will have found her and posted the news.

Deb
15-09-2010, 05:30 PM
She has come back!!!!! :bounce:

We had just gotten back from searching for her 20 minutes ago, and Garry went outside and heard a couple of little squeaks, looked down, and she was cautiously peeping out from under the car!! We have no idea where she has been but she is totally covered in grass seeds so that her fur is matted with them, but we will tackle that tomorrow. She is incredibly happy to be back and is her normal self!!!! We have opened a bottle of champagne we are so relieved :D

Thank you so much for your concern and support, it has really helped me :hug2:

So happy!!!!! :tralala:

Claire
15-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Woo hoo! :bounce:
Welcome home Lola! You naughty girl worrying Mummy and Daddy like that!

Tink
15-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh gosh!!!! That is such wonderful news!! :9: :9: :9: SOOOO needed some good news today! :yes:

mumof2
15-09-2010, 06:10 PM
oh thank goodness!! :thumbsup: :hug2:

foreverducky
15-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm so happy for you that there was a happy ending to this story. :hug2:

I'm just thrilled for you guys! :flowerbounce:

DisneyFreak
15-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Awesome news Deb!!!! So happy for all of you!!!!

Maybe Lola will write a book, "Lola sees the World".

daveann
15-09-2010, 06:43 PM
yay thats brilliant so glad she is back :)

uscwest
15-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Fantastic news. Welcome home Lola.

Johnie
15-09-2010, 08:03 PM
YAY! Glad to hear Lola is home!!!

lozzy
15-09-2010, 08:57 PM
:bounce:Glad she came home,what a relief.:bounce:

Lisa1976
15-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Yay, that is fantastic news. Really pleased it has had a good ending :hug2:

Tinkfan
15-09-2010, 10:49 PM
:hug2: :yes: :bounce:

Esmeralda
15-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Oh what wonderful news, what a huge relief. She needs a cell phone ;)

Deb
16-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Oh what wonderful news, what a huge relief. She needs a cell phone ;)

Good point. I shall see if she can grow some moveable thumbs then she can text me :yes:

I know it was only 3 days and everyone says that cats disappear all the time, but t was the fact that she has never been away from home, and we weren't even sure she knew how to be a real cat! I'm still pizzled really as to why she disappeared - she does potter about outside in our courtyard pretending to look for mice and goes on supervised walks with us, and has never shown any interest in going elsewhere. I was reading yesterday that indoor cats that bolt become scared in the "outside" world as it's unfamiliar, and often just go into survival mode, and literally don't move and hide away for a few days until they feel brave enough to emerge even though they're probably so very close to the house. They don't respond to calls for them till they feel ok. So that sounds likely. Anyway, she is back! And the door will only be open when we are watching her.

She spent all last night snuggled into me :) And now she's trying to "help" with my internet stuff :rolleyes:

daveann
16-09-2010, 06:06 AM
It's such a releif that she is back I bet :)

Kate
16-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Oh my goodness what a huuuuuge relief!!! Im so pleased shes back - not as pleased as you though obviously!

Tink
16-09-2010, 09:14 AM
She's probably so happy to be back in her natural surroundings that she will be "in your way" for days! It does make sense that once out, she'd hide herself in a place where she felt safe and then just wait until her instincts allowed her to return.

But I'm tellin' ya' all that matted grass seed? Definitely up to no good. :snooty:

Tink
16-09-2010, 09:14 AM
She's probably so happy to be back in her natural surroundings that she will be "in your way" for days! It does make sense that once out, she'd hide herself in a place where she felt safe and then just wait until her instincts allowed her to return.

But I'm tellin' ya' all that matted grass seed? Definitely up to no good. :snooty:

Isafari
16-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Goog grief Deb - just seen this thread! So pleased Lola's back where she belongs :yes:

Deb
16-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Well Tink, she is my gal!!!! ;)

Thanks everyone :)

mainecoon lover
16-09-2010, 11:14 AM
So pleased to hear Lola is home.

josh.p.
16-09-2010, 12:55 PM
:mental: :mental: :mental: YAY!!!!! Welcome Home Lola cat!

Crazycatlady
16-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Such a relief:dance: