PDA

View Full Version : What job do you do and do you like it?

disneymom
09-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Another pointless post :point: but its fun anyway

What do you do, do you like it and would you choose to do it again if you could have your time again?

Vikki
09-10-2010, 11:26 AM
I love my job! I teach year two kids which is age 6-7. The things they come out with are priceless! The only thing I don enjoy about it is all the pressure of ofsted and government. They should realise that if they just let us get on with doing our jobs rather than having to do a load of form filling, we'd have more time to concentrate on teaching.

Slowhand
09-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I took early retirement from my job as joint managing director of a medium sized engineering company that we started in 1983.
I wouldn`t change a thing if I had to re-live my life as we had some really good years, and it enabled me to visit in excess of 40 countries throughout the World and see how the real people live rather than just seeing it through the eyes of a tourist!

Now that I am retired, the only thing I miss is the day to day banter with my work colleagues and I`m glad that I don`t have to worry anymore about keeping the company afloat in these difficult times.

Tink
09-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I've held a number of positions, all within the realm of social services, mostly for the elderly, or those diagnosed with a persistent mental illness. Adults for the most part, although I did venture into child services once upon a time.

I've recently left my last position because I was miserably unhappy working for that particular corporation.

I am now being quite careful in choosing where I'll work next. Perhaps I'll run an ALF, perhaps I'll manage social service programs... sometimes I think about returning to school!

I'd not change anything though. I don't do regrets, eh?

daveann
09-10-2010, 12:26 PM
I work in a shop used to love my job now I hate it with a passion I'm going for an interview on Thursday for another place but unsure if I want to work for them still doing research into them :)

arkvilla
09-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I work for a Vicar doing admin work and it's a nice little job.

I have been in sales for the previous 18 years so this is a doddle compared to that although to be fair i've been very lucky as I've never applied for any of my jobs, i've been approached and all of them I have worked from home so it fitted in with the boys and I worked term time only

I have been very lucky and wouldn't have changed a thing.

BUT.... if I could go back in time and have my time over I would like to give dancing a go :-)

Sandra

ukwdwnut
09-10-2010, 03:32 PM
i work in a private school and im in charge of the IT support dept. also buy anything connected to IT

and the best thing about it it i actually do luv my job :yes:

josh.p.
09-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm a student :D I'm studying International Journalism in Liverpool and I absolutely love it :yes:

Have applied for a few Christmas jobs, got a group assessment/interview for John Lewis on Monday so fingers crossed!

Dawn
09-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm a classroom assistant in a year 6 class (10-11 year olds).

I love it and wouldn't change it at all. Even when you've had the worst day ever with the kids you know the next day one of them will come up to you and say something that just makes all the bad stuff worthwhile.

Claire
09-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Used to be a teachers assistant and currently volunteering at a local school before starting an NVQ level 2 course in the hope of returning to the job in the future.

dumbo77
09-10-2010, 07:15 PM
i have recently started a job in a call centre selling insurance to people ,i have to stay in this role for 6 month then i can go on and train to work in the fraud department of the company helping victims of identity theft and card fraud ,part of the company policy is everyone has to start on the sales floor so we all know the product and how it helps people. my real passion though is the fraud side and i cant wait til i get to start in that role. i do also have a job in a local drug rehabilitation clinic helping the clients to understand there finances and helping them learn to cope with there money etc. its a very rewarding job but dosent pay well thus the new full time role in the insurance industry (which pays very very very well):tongue:

foreverducky
09-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm still a student, but I hope to be graduating soon with my PsyD in psychology. I've been a student for so long that it will be odd to say that I'm actually working full-time in a career that I've been chasing for so long.

I also don't do regrets. :D

Tinkfan
09-10-2010, 11:23 PM
:wave: In my former life I was a Nurse Teacher and gymnastic, track and cross-country coach. I've taught at all levels elementary through high school and been a charge nurse at a geriatric facillity, hospital float and a stint in the Psych ward!!( as a nurse that is!) I used to work summers at a premier gymnastic camp in Pennsylvania. i phased out my career doing mostly Special Ed care plans for the Catholic School system.

uscwest
09-10-2010, 11:37 PM
I have been doing IT work for 43 years. Started as a computer operator, then to programming, systems analysis, database manager and now I am in charge of software testing. I have been working for the Federal Government since 1993 and no I'm really not that happy but in this climate it is a relatively secure and good paying job. I would love to be able to retire but we've only been in our home for 10 years so that is out of the question at this point, to say nothing of the huge hit that our 401k retirement packages took when Wall Street crumbled.

BUTTERHEAD1
10-10-2010, 05:38 AM
I am a Detective with the New York Police Department. I have been with the department for almost 19 years and I can retire in a little over 1 year. I will almost certainly retire December of 2011 or shortly after that time. It has been both the best experience of my life and the worst. I have met some great guys and gals and have done some wonderful things where I have helped people in their worst moments. I have also had close friends killed and have been in some life threatening experiences myself. I spent countless hours at Ground Zero and the Landfill after 911. I have worked a lot of holidays,weekends and nights causing me to miss a lot of time with my family which I can never get back. I have met some of the greatest people(co-workers) in the world and have a front row seat for the greatest show on Earth. But to answer the question if I would do it again...I dont think I would and I most certainly wouldnt want my son or daughter to do it.

catrancher
10-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I have been doing IT work for 43 years. Started as a computer operator, then to programming, systems analysis, database manager and now I am in charge of software testing. I have been working for the Federal Government since 1993 and no I'm really not that happy but in this climate it is a relatively secure and good paying job. I would love to be able to retire but we've only been in our home for 10 years so that is out of the question at this point, to say nothing of the huge hit that our 401k retirement packages took when Wall Street crumbled.

I'm in almost the same shape as John is. Except that I'm in private industry rather than the government and my career end stage is systems integration. And no, I don't see being able to retire anytime soon due to a 401K that's currently in the dumper. :sigh:

Hey John, remember the 1401 and wiring plug boards for the various pieces of tab equipment?.

Tom (:macwave:... SPS and Autocoder forever!)

Tink
10-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I am a Detective with the New York Police Department. I have been with the department for almost 19 years and I can retire in a little over 1 year. I will almost certainly retire December of 2011 or shortly after that time. It has been both the best experience of my life and the worst. I have met some great guys and gals and have done some wonderful things where I have helped people in their worst moments. I have also had close friends killed and have been in some life threatening experiences myself. I spent countless hours at Ground Zero and the Landfill after 911. I have worked a lot of holidays,weekends and nights causing me to miss a lot of time with my family which I can never get back. I have met some of the greatest people(co-workers) in the world and have a front row seat for the greatest show on Earth. But to answer the question if I would do it again...I dont think I would and I most certainly wouldnt want my son or daughter to do it.

I know we don't live there anymore, but what you do you do for all of us. It's the Detectives and other law enforcement officers that keep this country safe. It's not the laws. It's the men and women who uphold them every day and make sure the rest of society does too, that makes this country worth living in.

We have a long way to go, but if not for you, it would be a longer and harder journey.

Stay safe. Thank you for your life of dedication. :hug2:

ieuanr
10-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Well said Tink!

I have been running a small company building and selling computers since 1989. We sell to local government and education as well as some local companies. It has certainly been a challenge at times, both rewarding and frustrating. No regrets - although I should have taken a job in the public sector when I was offered - the guy who took it earns twice what I make :point:

Good fun though!

Tink
10-10-2010, 01:09 PM
IEUAN!!!!!!!!! It's so good to hear from you! :9: :9: How are you and the Women Rees??? It's been too long man! Time to catch up (and yes Mister, I'll be expecting photos)! :D :D

uscwest
10-10-2010, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=catrancher;235131

Hey John, remember the 1401 and wiring plug boards for the various pieces of tab equipment?.

Tom (:macwave:... SPS and Autocoder forever!)[/QUOTE]My first job in the AF Tom. Sorters, collators, multiple decks of punched card that had to be sorted a bunch of different ways and then carried across the hall to be fed into a Burroughs 263 computer. LOL

wdwgrandma
10-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I started out teaching computer programming and database applications back in the early '80's.

Then I became a tech support analyst for a major academic awards, class rings, fine papers company in Indy doing all sorts of system work as well as front end network processing (and was recruited away by Honeywell).

Moved from there to the DC area to go to work for Honeywell. Didn't stay long because they stuck me in configuration management after they had recruited me due to my front end processing background. Only good part of this short stay was meeting John!

Went to work for gov't where I was able to put my front end network processing expertise to use. Still in the IT realm...

catrancher
10-10-2010, 04:20 PM
My first job in the AF Tom. Sorters, collators, multiple decks of punched card that had to be sorted a bunch of different ways and then carried across the hall to be fed into a Burroughs 263 computer. LOL

Where at John?

I started at HQ TAC, Langley airplane patch Virginia. Doing programming for the Civilian Personnel Office. This was in '69 to '70. Then moved on to Base Data Automation at MacDill AFB in Tampa doing the programming thing on our Burroughs B3500.

Tom (:macwave:... dating myself!)

uscwest
10-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Where at John?

I started at HQ TAC, Langley airplane patch Virginia. Doing programming for the Civilian Personnel Office. This was in '69 to '70. Then moved on to Base Data Automation at MacDill AFB in Tampa doing the programming thing on our Burroughs B3500.

Tom (:macwave:... dating myself!) Started base level at Chanute, AFB, IL in 1967, went to Command and Control school at Keesler and Hanscom in 1969. From there to HQ USAFE Wiesbaden, Germany (Lindsey Air Station)

MarkE
11-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm an accountant for an insurance company based in the financial bit of Birmingham (just off the side of town where all the banks etc are). I like my job, I'm good at it and the pay isn't bad :)

I'm also a part time teachers assistant, sort of - Louise is a year six teacher, consultant / lead teacher for her LEA and currently assistant head at her school - my evenings generally consist of the gym, dinner, then hours and hours helping her out - I proof mark maths books and point out who's not quite getting there, prepare powerpoints for her etc. I actually LOVE that part of my life and would seriously consider teaching, if it weren't for the fact that I don't think I'd be particularly good at the actual teaching part!

chipndale
11-10-2010, 09:13 AM
IT and hate it :( get me out someone

when I was young I only wanted to do something not in an office and now look where I'm stucl