PDA

View Full Version : How do I make that call? :(

Kate
15-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I have a cat who is very old - she is almost 24. When she was a young cat she was knocked over and had to have an operation to have a pin put in her hip and thigh - she went on to have a very energetic and happy life!
She is a beautiful cat, my baby, i had her since i was 8yrs old, she used to sleep with me, let me push her around in my dolls pram and let me used to put my dolls clothes on her! She used to lay on her back and let me rub her tummy forever, she was the perfect cat.
Her time now though is coming to an end. She is losing control of her back legs and wobbles all over the place, shes not the clean cat she used to be and so im on edge whenever she is in the house and around my little girl.

How do i make the call to the vet, i know i need to say goodbye to her but i just cannot bring myself to do it. Every morning i get up and just hope that she has gone in her sleep. Im crying as im typing this as the thought of her not being here just really upsets me

MystikPiglit
15-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Firstly.. :comfort:

I have been a catperson for many years, through good times and bad, so I can imagine how you are feeling.
She's not just a cat, she is your best friend. :hug2:
Would she do the same for you? Of course. Make the call.:comfort:

Dawn
15-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Make the call mate. She needs you to. :hug2:

Tinkerbell
15-10-2010, 01:20 PM
:hug2::hug2: I wish you every strength to make the call :hug2::hug2:

It's so hard I know, but she needs you to give that final act of love :cry1::cry1:

Kate
15-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Knowing that its the right thing to do makes it no easier either :(

Esmeralda
15-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Sorry blurry eyes XXXXXXXXX Take care X

Dawn
15-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Knowing that its the right thing to do makes it no easier either :(

It doesn't but you know in your heart of hearts that they will be better off for it. I go through it everytime I have to let one of my guinea pigs go and it's not easy but if they need peace then you have to give them what they need even if it's not what you want. :hug2:

Deb
15-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Another one who knows what it's like :hug2: And I know that knowing it's right doesn't make it feel right :( She sounds so lovely, and has been your friend for so long.

Is she in pain? Is she distressed at not being clean? Is she aware of everything around her? Answering those simple questions may help you, I don't know. You could consider having the vet come to your home where she is comfy, and give her a couple of days of pampering as your goodbye if she isn't too bad. I am guessing that if you are asking the question, then you must have come to your concusion :(

It's the hardest thing we can do for them, and the best :hug2:

Kate
15-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Deb, shes not in pain - if she were i feel that it would be so much easier for me to do. She seems cross with herself at not being clean rather than distressed if that makes sense?
I just feel that her quality of life has deteriorated such alot over these last few months, i have come to the decision that its not right and not fair for her to carry on like this, but i just cant seem to pick that phone up and set a date for when her life needs to end :(

MystikPiglit
15-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm not positive, but I think that some vets will come to the home for this. Would that make it easier for you?

mumof2
15-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh Kate hunny, i feel so bad for you. It's a terrible decision to make, it really is. :hug2:

Could you call the vet for a chat? Tell them what you've told us, that way, although it's ultmately your decision, the vet may help you to realise how kind you are being in making the right decision choice for your precious cat.

i only say that from my own experience with our rabbit who was running around the garden like there was nothing wrong, but inside there was and to undergo an operation would have been distressing for him and he may not have even survived it. It was an awful time, i cried buckets as i spoke with the vet, she assured me it really was the right thing. It helped knowing that she thought that too.

big, big hugs for you :hug2::hug2:

Isafari
15-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I so want to give you a :hug2: in person Kate!
You have spent all those years together which you will keep in your memory for ever....you never forget your best buddy.
It's going to be hard for you, very hard, but you know you have to make the call. It sounds like she's had enough and it's time for her to go into a peaceful sleep before things do get too bad with her and she does end up suffering - you wouldn't want that.

I think most of us have been through this type of thing with our pets and there is no easy way out but they do rely on us to make the decisions for them.

We're always here for you, whatever you decide. :hug2:

Kate
15-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Thank you, thank you all of you. Its so comforting to know that im not being judged in any way shape or form, and that im not alone in how i am feeling right now

Mari
15-10-2010, 04:30 PM
:hug2:

Oh Kate.... it is so hard to bein that position... yet, we are granted the opportunity to be in that position and to stop their suffering

Tinkfan
16-10-2010, 12:07 AM
:hug2::hug2: :sorry:I know exactly how you feel. When our Sabre died in April we were away at Disney. It was gut wrenching not to be there. I carry tremendous guilt that I wasn't there at the time my best friend needed me. Make your decision soon my dear. Don't let it be taken away from you. You'll know when it's time. Quality above all else :hug2::hug2::hug2:

Johnie
16-10-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm so sorry. I've had to do this and it is hard but it's the right thing to do. Hugs to you

Tink
16-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Ach Kate. :hug2: What a difficult position for you to be in.

What a great and wonderful time you two have had together!!! She's been there with you through a long journey, for a longer time than seems usual!

She's let you make decisions for her and has been accepting of them all through your lives together.

You love her enough to make this decision, the one that allows her life to remain one that was treasured and unconditional love. Give her the peace and dignity that she deserves with all the love only you can provide.

We are with you Kate. :hug2:

Claire
16-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Kate I have no words of wisdom. Just a :hug2:

Kate
16-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Thank you everyone :hug2:
Lucy's little life is day by day at the moment, when the time really comes i will know it, it seems at the moment its just round the corner :sorry:
I will call the vet when the time comes and arrange for them to come here, i dont want her last few moments of life to be in a box and the car, i want her to be here on her blanket all cosy, warm and safe - in her home.

Thanks again

Isafari
16-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Lucy's little life is day by day at the moment, when the time really comes i will know it, it seems at the moment its just round the corner :sorry:
I will call the vet when the time comes and arrange for them to come here, i dont want her last few moments of life to be in a box and the car, i want her to be here on her blanket all cosy, warm and safe - in her home.

Thanks again

:hug2: we'll be here

mumof2
16-10-2010, 04:27 PM
:hug2::hug2:

Crazycatlady
16-10-2010, 10:07 PM
:hug2:

uscwest
18-10-2010, 04:56 PM
A few years back our 18 year old cat Tom lost control of his rear legs. I took him to the vet and they couldn't do anything for him. We made the VERY difficult decision to let him cross the rainbow bridge. Oddly enough he seemed quite content as he passed over while we were with him at the vet. We feel we made the right choice because we couldn't stand to see him suffer.

mainecoon lover
19-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Awe hun I know how you feel. I remember in August when we had Molly and Foxy put to sleep and then Rafi went down hill dh and I could not take her for two days. We then knew if we loved her then we had to pick ourselves up and do what was best for her. It hurt bad but we knew it was right. With Tinkerbell dh delt with her as I could not look at another of my cats eyes whilst we had to let her go. Dh came home saying that when he saw how much she had deteriorated it made it easier, she had been in the vets for two days with them trying to save her. :hug2:

Kate
20-10-2010, 04:26 PM
We had a good couple of days, but it still doesnt take away the fact that i have to do what i have to do and sadly the bad days are starting to outnumber the good days.
My sister has offered to take Lucy for me, i have said no, i feel its something i need to do - and also id rather the vet came here anyway so its not really relevant.

Michelle, it has been very rough for you recently hasnt it, im really so sorry :hug2:

Mari
20-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Hang in there hun...

It is hard, then again, you will feel so good knowing you are doing the right thing and being there for her when she goes to the rainbow bridge