PDA

View Full Version : Utilidors...

Isafari
31-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Anyone ever been to the utilidors under the Magic Kingdom?

I have considered going on one of the tours just so that I can go and see the utilidors :lol:

daveann
31-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I too would love to do this :)

Kate
31-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes i have!! We did the KTTK on our last visit, it was very interesting. The utilidors werent exactly as id imagined them to be, but it was incredible to see all that going on under the MK :yes:

Isafari
31-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes i have!! We did the KTTK on our last visit, it was very interesting. The utilidors werent exactly as id imagined them to be, but it was incredible to see all that going on under the MK :yes:

Spill the beans then Kate - was it like an underground community or empty corridors with refuse bins and characters with 'no heads' on :lol:

foreverducky
31-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't think I would want to see them. Once you know something you can't un-know it. :) I like the mystery.

Kate
31-10-2010, 11:53 AM
It was very busy down there, people moving about all over the place. Every now and then you'd have to move out the way cus one of those little car things that you see in warehouses were scooting around! No costumes hanging around and i dont remember seeing anyone in a costume for that matter! There are lots of interesting photos on the wall, some of the MK when it was being built - and maps too, i spent alot of time looking at the photos and the maps, they were very interesting! We had to watch a film of some kind, that wasnt interesting and wasnt helped by the fact that we had to stand and watch it and it was the end of the tour and we were shattered!
There was a xmas tree down there though, with presents and things around it - just a little scene to get them in the mood i guess!

Id definately like to go down there again though, i really liked it! :yes:

Kate
31-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't think I would want to see them. Once you know something you can't un-know it. :) I like the mystery.

It wasnt like that at all FD! I actually dont think it spoiled anything for me!

Vikki
31-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I second what Kate said. It didn't spoil anything going down there, it was just really interesting to be honest. However I'm sure they know the exa t areas the tours go to so they're careful with what they have in those areas. We spent a lot of time 'backstage' and it was fascinating to see how it was all put together. Would definitely do it again!

ukwdwnut
31-10-2010, 03:17 PM
this is all new to me how do you find this stuff out?

Isafari
31-10-2010, 03:26 PM
this is all new to me how do you find this stuff out?

:shrug: we just know these things :lol:
Check out our tours sections Mick - you will find the tours that take you to the utilidors.
We have a video too in the video archive section on the Home Page....HERE (http://www.wdisneysecrets.com/index.php/disney-video-archives/244-disney-video-archives/814-disney-fact-or-fiction.html) it's the last video on that page.

ukwdwnut
31-10-2010, 03:56 PM
:shrug: we just know these things :lol:
Check out our tours sections Mick - you will find the tours that take you to the utilidors.
We have a video too in the video archive section on the Home Page....HERE (http://www.wdisneysecrets.com/index.php/disney-video-archives/244-disney-video-archives/814-disney-fact-or-fiction.html) it's the last video on that page.

cool. will look when ive dont some mod work, ho hum a mods work is never done :lol:

keith
31-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I've loved the utilidors every time I've been. You get to see much more on some tours but then the same tour with a different leader and much less is seen :/ so very dependent on which tour and who is leading it I think.

It *definitely* doesn't spoil any magic although we have seen partially dressed characters on the odd occasion :) hence the adults only nature of the tour.

It was fascinating how like a little city it was and interesting for me to discover that it isn't actually "underground" rather it's on the ground floor and the Magic Kingdom was built over it :)

I really liked it although I'd have dearly loved to just be able to wander around by myself for a week or so :lol:

Isafari
31-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Sounds fascinating......and we have a couple of spare days next trip :brightidea:

uscwest
31-10-2010, 06:44 PM
I think Keys to the Kingdom was the first tour Donna and I did. It is a great tour and I highly recommend it.

Vikki
31-10-2010, 08:40 PM
It was the first tour we did as well. The guide we had was on his last day working there so put a lot of extra effort in.

MarkE
01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
First and only tour so far for me too, and it was great. I’d recommend booking it in advance, they have limited numbers per tour. The only thing that shocked me was the “staff pin bin” – literally just a massive bin full of basic pins that the cast members can take for their lanyard! We saw the area where they keep the parade floats, and saw half of the Toy Story characters without heads!!

Oh, and the ‘smells’ too – I’d always wondered why CLOSED popcorn stands still smell so good…

Other interesting bits that are probably widely known but I rarely see mentioned – there is only one visible clock in MK. They don’t want you to know what time it is so you stay there all day without realising it! And you’re never more than 25 feet away from a bin (or something like that) to encourage everyone to keep the park tidy. It obviously works well.

A great tour, ours included a stop at the Dole Whip place – how I missed that on the first few trips I’ll never know!!

Edited to add: You get a free "keys to the kingdom tour" pin too, that you can only get by going on this tour :)

keith
01-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Edited to add: You get a free "keys to the kingdom tour" pin too, that you can only get by going on this tour :)

yep! :D

In fact all the tours got to design their own pin as I understand it a few years back, so they all have really interesting ones now. They always joke that they watch ebay for a few days later just in case the pins pop up :lol:

MarkE
01-11-2010, 01:58 PM
They always joke that they watch ebay for a few days later just in case the pins pop up :lol:

We got three (one each), when me and the ex split I ebayed hers :)

Mari
01-11-2010, 08:49 PM

ditto to this!

Im super curious.. then again, once you know the trick, its not magic anymore!

MystikPiglit
02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
We've also done the KTTK tour and thought the utilidors were fascinating. :yes:
The guide even took us through a costume department down there, but I don't know if that's always part of the tour.
I highly recommend it! :thumbsup: