PDA

View Full Version : Escargot????????

Esmeralda
31-10-2010, 07:17 PM
While I am of the opinion that there is enough food in the world that we don't need to eat these things... I want to know just HOW do you eat them? Do you chew or just shut eyes and swallow whole and what on earth could they taste like?

Tink
31-10-2010, 09:51 PM
They have the texture and consistency of a regular (white) mushroom. Whole mushroom, cooked. They are usually bathed in garlic and butter and can be served in escargot plates (no pastry) or in pastry, or nestled in little brioches like at the FWF.

They really are very nice, Esme. No closed eyes needed. :D

keith
31-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Warning: Slowhand joke approaching

Once there was a snail who was tired of being slow. He went out and bought a really fast sports car and had the dealer paint a big 'S' on each side of it.

Whenever someone saw him zooming past in his new car, they would say, "Hey, look at that S-car go!"

Warning ends: Slowhand joke ends

catrancher
31-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Look at that Escar go!

http://gothamist.com/attachments/food_laren/Escargot.jpg

They're actually quite yummy!

Tom (:macwave:... sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Esmeralda
01-11-2010, 12:59 AM
OMG I thought I might be brave and try some but I can't now. And that joke was truly appalling. :D

uscwest
01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Look at that Escar go!

http://gothamist.com/attachments/food_laren/Escargot.jpg

They're actually quite yummy!

Tom (:macwave:... sorry, I couldn't resist!)

OMG I thought I might be brave and try some but I can't now. And that joke was truly appalling. :DThis is the way I like mine served Tom, though not the little guy on the scooter.

Esmeralda, they don't look like the scooter and while I enjoyed those in brioche at France during the F&W that is not the way I prefer to eat them as I really like to sop up the garlic and herb butter with bread.

catrancher
01-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I really like to sop up the garlic and herb butter with bread.

Yep! Just like that John! :thumbsup:

Don't be put off by the jokes Esmerelda. They really are quite good. :yes:

I will admit however that my DW won't touch them. :nono:
If I indicate that I'm going to be ordering them, she'll usually ask for separate tables! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... I'll miss that girl at dinner!)

Esmeralda
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I just can't get it out of my head about the squishy feeling in my teeth :( Do they squish?

Johnie
01-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Well now you don't have to eat anything you don't want to eat :hug2: I won't eat tuna fish...it looks bad AND smells bad.

I tried escargot last year at the F&WF. Mine didn't look anything remotely like that picture. Mine looked like a little piece of garlic bread....tasted like it too.

uscwest
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Yep! Just like that John! :thumbsup:

Don't be put off by the jokes Esmerelda. They really are quite good. :yes:

I will admit however that my DW won't touch them. :nono:
If I indicate that I'm going to be ordering them, she'll usually ask for separate tables! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... I'll miss that girl at dinner!)

Tom, my DW won't eat them either. But she doesn't head to another table. LOL

I just can't get it out of my head about the squishy feeling in my teeth :( Do they squish? No they don't squish. At least I've never had any that squished.

Esmeralda
01-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Ok then... I MAY try them then???? I will have to have a good long think and talk to myself. But the minute there's a squish then I'm outta there.

Esmeralda
01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Oh and do they have to a special type or do you get them out of gardens?

Mari
01-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I read the title and my mouth started watering...

I think you would LOVE the taste.. if you didnt know what you were eating..

they are DELICIOUS!

gwennie81
11-11-2010, 03:48 AM
The consistency is pretty much like a cooked mushroom. If they're still in the shell, you use a tiny fork and they pretty much come right out. I had Chinese snails once and they were so tiny, we got the meat out with a toothpick! Not very filling, but tasty all the same. I happen to like escargots.