PDA

View Full Version : 'Disney Tattoo Guy' trading his passion for new love

Isafari
15-11-2010, 03:05 PM
George Reiger's small world has gotten bigger.

Once a lonely postal worker known as the "Disney Tattoo Guy" for the 2,200 Disney images inked on his body, he is selling his 5,000-piece Disney collection and getting rid of the body art so that he can be with his very own Disney princess.

"The Disney Tattoo Guy is dead," said Reiger, who lives in a 6,000-square-foot Mickey Mouse-themed house in Bethlehem, Pa., with custom-designed doors, ceilings, knobs, and fixtures.

The enormous collection, one of the biggest in the country, is going on the auction block Monday at William H. Bunch gallery in Chadds Ford. It took three days just to photograph and tag the items.

Reiger said he's unloading it all - the Disney props, the Mickey Mouse light fixtures, a 15-foot Nautilus submarine - so that he can move to Miami to be with his new love.

"I'm starting a new life," he gushed.

Reiger, 56, has been goofy about Disney for 40 years. He says he's made hundreds of trips to the Happiest Place on Earth, strutting down Main Street in tank top and shorts and getting more attention from his tattoos than Snow White.

But Reiger wasn't happy at all. Although he claimed in TV and newspaper stories that he had had six wives - and lost them all because Disney always came first - he now says that he lied and that he was as lonely as Quasimodo and got tattooed because he craved attention.

Last September, he found his Esmeralda.

Reiger was seated in a big auditorium at a Disney convention in California when a woman named Kathleen sat down next to him. In no time, he could almost see little red cartoon hearts fluttering over his head.

Not surprisingly, he described the 48-year-old woman (he won't give any more details, saying she wants to remain private) as "animated."

"She makes me feel like a kid," he said Thursday, just minutes from boarding a Disney cruise ship in Cape Canaveral, Fla., with her by his side. "I'm totally in love."

In January he plans to move to Miami, where she lives, and he'll marry her "whenever she says yes."

"I found a new life; I want to start fresh," said Reiger, who is also a magician and is selling his trove of magic tricks next week.

Though Kathleen doesn't mind the tattoos, Reiger said, he wants to be able to wear short sleeves without people stopping and staring.

"I don't want to see them anymore," he said.

In fact, on his last trip to Disney he covered up in a long-sleeve shirt and pants. "I've never done that before," he said.

Reiger said he fell in love with Disney when he was a kid and got his first tattoo, a scene from Fantasia, on his left forearm at age 18. He started collecting Disneyana and even built his house just to display it.

Most serious Disney collectors prize pieces from the 1930s marked Walt Disney Enterprises, the company's original name. While Reiger's archive is eclectic, "it's not old, it's not rare, it's just enthusiastic," said Mel Birnkrant, a former toy designer from New York whose own Disney collection is considered one of the finest in the world.

He often saw Reiger at conventions, where "he was sort of like a mobile show-and-tell exhibit, something you used to have to pay 50 cents to see at a sideshow," he said.

Included in the sale are Mickey Mouse decor, animation cels, park props, the Nautilus sub that he says is one of only three in the world, and an eight-foot-tall Jack Skellington figure from the Disney/Tim Burton fantasy film The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Bunch, the auctioneer, said he expects the whole lot to fetch between $50,000 and $100,000, with some pieces going for as low as $10. To attract Disney's core audience, the kids, the auctioneer has advertised in local schools and day cares.

Reiger found most of his treasures on hundreds of trips to Disney theme parks, including Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disney. He bought everything he could, he said, spending up to $50,000 a year on travel and shopping.

He added the tattoos slowly at first, but after he turned 30, the pace picked up. At the bottom of his back is a real oddity: 103 dalmatians, a mistake. Water characters such as the Little Mermaid, Monstro the Whale from Pinocchio, and the Nautilus, the submarine from 20,0000 Leagues Under the Sea, float across his stomach.

Villains are below his knees, while flying objects such as Tinkerbell, hot-air balloons, and the Rocketeer cover his back.

foreverducky
15-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Interesting....

uscwest
15-11-2010, 05:27 PM
So, how is he going to get all of those tattoos removed?

Isafari
15-11-2010, 05:36 PM
So, how is he going to get all of those tattoos removed?

Today, lasers are the most common method of tattoo removal. They work by targeting the ink with pulses of highly concentrated light that break the ink into tiny fragments, which are then cleared away the your own immune system. However, this isnít all done with just one treatment. The more treatments you have, the more the laser can penetrate to destroy the ink. But, the more treatments you have, the more damage you do to your skin, causing painful blisters and scabs that can eventually lead to scarring. Experts in removal therapy say that technology has advanced to the point where scarring is minimal, sometimes non-existant, but this can vary depending on the situation.

On top of being physically painful (it has been described as feeling like being splattered with hot grease), laser removal can be painful to your wallet as well. Depending on your tattoo, you may need anywhere from 1-10 sessions, each costing in the range of $250-$850 per session. A large, professional tattoo in color could cost thousands of dollars to remove, and the effectiveness of the removal still isnít guaranteed.

uscwest
15-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Today, lasers are the most common method of tattoo removal. They work by targeting the ink with pulses of highly concentrated light that break the ink into tiny fragments, which are then cleared away the your own immune system. However, this isnít all done with just one treatment. The more treatments you have, the more the laser can penetrate to destroy the ink. But, the more treatments you have, the more damage you do to your skin, causing painful blisters and scabs that can eventually lead to scarring. Experts in removal therapy say that technology has advanced to the point where scarring is minimal, sometimes non-existant, but this can vary depending on the situation.

On top of being physically painful (it has been described as feeling like being splattered with hot grease), laser removal can be painful to your wallet as well. Depending on your tattoo, you may need anywhere from 1-10 sessions, each costing in the range of $250-$850 per session. A large, professional tattoo in color could cost thousands of dollars to remove, and the effectiveness of the removal still isnít guaranteed.Just one more reason to either never get a tattoo, or if you do get one, make sure it is one you can live with for life. As for me, I'm NOT getting one.

catrancher
15-11-2010, 06:49 PM
As for me, I'm NOT getting one.

:yeahthat: :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... you have good taste, John!)

foreverducky
15-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I didn't pay all the money I did for my tattoos to have them removed. :D The laser removal does not sound like fun at all.

I've seen some people that had the removal a few years ago and their skin looks just a little odd.

BUTTERHEAD1
16-11-2010, 05:44 AM
We ran into that guy a few years back while we were in Epcot. He was nice enough to talk to us. If I remember correctly he was by himself.

Kate
16-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Ouch, thats alot of pain to go through in the first place and a lot of pain he's going to be going through!

Esmeralda
16-11-2010, 07:39 PM
So he's basically changing who he is.... I give it three years.

Shellyamc
17-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Hmm..I would like to hope that she would love him how he is. I understand cutting back on the "stuff" in the house, but if he still likes Disney and the body art, then why not keep it?

Tinker
24-11-2010, 01:22 AM
We personally know George . He works in our town . Many of times we've bumped into him on the plane or at WDW... right down to the evening of his engagment at The Rose & Crown Pub . We just happened to be having dinner at the same time .
Since he knows I Love Disney and that I frequent the post office, he brought me in a featured artist jumbo DL Tinkerbell pin and a vintage Peter Pan & Tinkerbell dolls still in the box .

foreverducky
24-11-2010, 02:07 AM
I would want to find someone that loves me for me. Not a toned down version.

Britchick
24-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I would want to find someone that loves me for me. Not a toned down version.

Exactly! Jon doesn't always like my obsession which compared to others is little league but he accepts it as its part of me. Not a good way to start a relationship, and shes not even agreed to marry him! Wouldn't mind having a poke around his stuff!

Wendy
24-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree :yes: when you love someone its all or nothing, warts and all, for who they are not want you want them to be!

Tinker
24-11-2010, 03:50 PM
She didn't accept his proposal ? Could have fooled me .

Tinker
26-11-2010, 08:20 PM
I saw George today at our local mall. He is going to WDW this coming Monday . Although,he did admit to the removal of his tattoos for his lady love.
I told him he was a hot topic on our Disney forum . He told me to check our local paper and post the link . So here it is :

'Disney Tattoo Guy' sells off his extensive collection; body art next to go | lehighvalleylive.com (http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethlehem/index.ssf/2010/11/disney_tatoo_guy_sells_off_his.html)

Tink
27-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Hmmmmm...not sounding like a healthy decision at all, but it's not my life. Wish him well with whatever he chooses to do.