PDA

View Full Version : do you buy new decorations every year?

luvdisney
15-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Ive just been told off for being silly with money :( I like to buy christmas decorations a fresh each year. I have tried keeping them in the past but they dont look good the next year really :(

so do you keep yours or buy new ones?

arkvilla
15-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I keep mine for years and just buy new ones when I see some I particually like.

I did have a red & gold theme on my tree but a couple of years ago I changed it to gold & browns so did buy new brown items.

Apart from the items for the tree I have lots of nic ncks that I put around the living room and so I put all my 'normal' accesories away and put all the Christmassy ones out.

I keep all mine in the loft, in big boxes

Sandra

josh.p.
15-11-2010, 08:59 PM
We have quite a few old ones that we keep :yes: We do buy new baubles mainly but we have about 10 'special' ones that have a particular meaning, one from Niamh's first Christmas, one from Disney, things like that :yes:

foreverducky
15-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I just had to buy new lights. They all went out. Bummer. I have just started to collect/buy my Christmas decorations. I have a silver and blue theme. With only blue lights and then silver garland. I love these colors for Christmas.

I think maybe next year my garland will need updating due to the usage with tape. :D

Britchick
15-11-2010, 11:06 PM
I usually buy a few new ones I really like each year to replace ones that are past they're best. This year I've bought some glittered roses that are beautiful from m&s, can't wait to use them

Tink
16-11-2010, 03:55 AM
We buy something new each year to add to our collection. When one gets too tattered looking we get rid of it, but not if it has been hand made.

We still have the Star of David made from popsicle sticks that a little one once made for us. The glitter is nearly worn off, but we keep it regardless.

Regular store bought decorations that start looking bad though we toss.

Kate
16-11-2010, 07:55 AM
I just buy a couple of new ones every year, i love my tree just how it is! I always buy a new one from the disney shop, one with the characters and the date on!

uscwest
16-11-2010, 11:50 AM
We buy new if we need them, and of course we add a couple of new each year, but other than that we keep them from year to year.

Dorothy
16-11-2010, 04:01 PM
I may replace an ornament or two if they get broken or worn out, but for me part of the joy of putting our tree up to see each ornament every year and remember when it was bought or who I recieved it from.

I have my White House ornaments that I've recieved over the years from some special friends and also all the Disney ones that I've collected since the first time I ever went to Disney. I collect bell ornaments too and my new one for this year is a Mickey head with jingle bells inside :D:D

Shellyamc
16-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Keep Keep Keep!! I loved seeing the same decorations come out each year and I still love seeing them when we go to my Mom and Dad's over the holidays. My Sister and I have tons of stories about playing games with the gingerbread house and putting Barbie dolls on the camels from my Mom's nativity set:yes: I like that and hope that my kids have the same stories.

Like others have said we replace what is broken or worn if it doesn't really have meaning to us, but most things I hang on to and will until it just isn't possible anymore. Guess I'm just a sap :D

ukwdwnut
16-11-2010, 04:52 PM
we used to keep ours for years...we dont put chains up on the ceiling now tho as we had the ceiling skimmed flat not long ago...we did get a real nice tree a 2 yrs back after seeing one that one ouf our members hadso we just dress that and the fireplace now

Deafjeff
17-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I am guilty of this! I like buy new ones every year!!!!

Rosie0610
17-11-2010, 05:56 PM
We keep pretty much everything-but not everything makes it up every year. If it breaks it obvisouly goes, but man, I have TONS of ornaments and decorations.

DH makes fun of me because I have a "Kitty's 1st Christmas" ornament-my cat died over 15 years ago! (how can I get rid of that??)
I have my "baby's 1st christmas" from 1978!
I have this Oscar the Grouch ornament I made in Girl Scouts that is just a disaster-but it's filled with so many memories even if I just see it every year and not put it on the tree it makes me happy!

One thing I finally let go of was a vase made from a salad dressing bottle-back when they were glass- that I made in 2nd grade-it was truly a mess of glitter and glue!

mainecoon lover
17-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I may buy one or two new babules but apart from that I use the same until they get tatty. Most of my babules are from WDW which have great memories.