PDA

View Full Version : when do you put your christmas tree up?

disneyangel
24-11-2010, 10:34 AM
When do you put your decorations and christmas trees up? I really want to already but everyone says its too early :(

Do you have a favourite ornament and what is it?

Mines an angel I got from a place in downtown disney I dont evenknow if its still there

uscwest
24-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Ours may go up this weekend. Depends on whether I feel like dragging it out, as it is artificial.

foreverducky
24-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I decorated 2 weeks ago I believe. I want to enjoy mine as long as possible. That being said, they are usually down the day after Christmas.

Wendy
24-11-2010, 12:51 PM
We normally put ours up the 2nd weekend in December, so it will be the 11th this year.

Our annual tree decorating tradition with our friends and their girls will probably be next Wednesday if the girls can last that long :lol: :lol:

wdwgrandma
24-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Do you have a favourite ornament and what is it?
I have several... One is a sled my youngest son made for me when he was quite young. Every year he complains that I put it on the tree. But when I take it out and look at it, it reminds me of the cute little guy he once was. And now I see that same cute little guy in Nathanael. One day maybe he'll make an ornament to go on our tree!

I also have a tiny manger scene that I got in Germany that is a favorite. Oh, and a cable car from San Francisco.

DisneyFreak
24-11-2010, 02:54 PM
We finished decoration the inside on the 14th and we finished the outside lights last weekend. Nothing gets turned on though until Thanksgiving night.

Presents are all wrapped and either under the tree or ready to be shipped. Shopping is done!

:taunt:

arkvilla
24-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Tree goes up on the 1st Dec but I think I may get away with putting it up this Sunday.

Shall we all post some photo's of our Christmassy Rooms? I's like to see everyone else's

Sandra

lisaw
24-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm doing mine on Saturday - it is usually the first weekend in December but as that is nearly a week into December this year and I can't wait that long it will have to be this weekend! :lol: The outside lights will wait until the following weekend though!

Britchick
24-11-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm going for the second weekend in dec this year as I've got lots going on the next couple of weekends. I don't have a fave ornament, all of them have meaning to me

Deb
24-11-2010, 05:21 PM
It's usually the first weekend in December, but like Lisaw I couldn't wait that long this year! :D And I love the way the house looks when the Christmas stuff is up so I want to make the most of it. So it was going to be this weekend, but as the weather forecast is for blizzards here on Saturday we think it may be safer to delay going to buy our Christmas trees (we get real ones from a local farm :choptree8: but it's down some very gairy country roads that might be a bit difficult to get down in snow :eek: ).
So we have now decided we will take the day off on Wednesday the 1st to get our trees, and will decorate the house this weekend with the garlands and other decorations :advent:

Donna - I have a cable car tree ornament from San Fransisco too! :yes:

My favourite ornament is an odd one - when we were kids for some reason my favourite was a very old-fashioned red glass pine cone with frost glitter on it. About 10 years I found one that was exactly the same and bought it - it reminds me of Christmasses as a little child :yes:

Sandra, yes, we definitely should be posting photos!! :)

Claire
24-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I can't believe how early people put their decorations up! Wow! Ours will go up when the children finish school for Christmas. That'll be the 17th Dec. My favourite ornament changes every year! We have a star on the top of our tree.

wdwgrandma
24-11-2010, 06:05 PM
My favourite ornament is an odd one - when we were kids for some reason my favourite was a very old-fashioned red glass pine cone with frost glitter on it. About 10 years I found one that was exactly the same and bought it - it reminds me of Christmasses as a little child :)
I absolutely love the old fashioned glass ornaments that were glittered and shiny - especially the ones that have that sort of "indent" on the side that is usually a different color. And the lights reflect so beautifully when it touches those parts. I know I didn't describe that too well... We have some of the frosted pine cone ornaments that I put on the tree every year!

When I was a kid, Mom had these ornaments - they weren't really tear-drop shaped. They were more "icicle" shaped, maybe... Anyway, they were clear glass. Inside was a sprig of silver tinsel - almost like a small branch off one of those aluminum trees - and half way down, in the widest part of the ornament (they were narrow at the top, widened slightly, then narrowed again at the bottom), was a Santa head or a snowman head attached to the sprig of tinsel. I would give anything to find some of those ornaments again. They all managed to get broken over the years. And I've never seen them anywhere. I've looked at hundreds of pictures on ebay trying to find some.

SleepinCatz
24-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I have put mine up on the 6th of Dec every year since 1973- it's my Brothers birthday :)

SleepinCatz
24-11-2010, 07:26 PM
lol side note it will go up early this year as I will be in WDW on the 6th this time :)

josh.p.
24-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Ours goes up earlier now that Niamh is here but before Niamh it was about the 7th of December onwards :yes:

Dawn
24-11-2010, 08:32 PM
1st December in this house. :D

I have a paper angel that Steven made in his Reception year that goes on the tree every year now.

daveann
24-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Bah humbug :( I can't believe how early you all put your decs up for me it's 12 days before and down day after new years day :)

ukwdwnut
25-11-2010, 09:15 AM
we didnt put ours up until a week before last year duh!! whats the point of buying a new one for!!!!

going to put it up sooner rather than later this year

Deafjeff
26-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Ooohhh not sure yet if it going to be this weekend or next weekend ooohhh depends if we can buy Christmas tree tomorrow due to snow.......

Deb
26-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Ooohhh not sure yet if it going to be this weekend or next weekend ooohhh depends if we can buy Christmas tree tomorrow due to snow.......

Same Jeff...we had decided it would be too blizzardy to go for our trees this weekend, but the forecast is now a bit ambiguous, so it could all be done tomorrow if things go well :D There are mince pies at the ready as we can't possible do decorations without some festive additions :thumbsup:

Deafjeff
26-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Same Jeff...we had decided it would be too blizzardy to go for our trees this weekend, but the forecast is now a bit ambiguous, so it could all be done tomorrow if things go well :D There are mince pies at the ready as we can't possible do decorations without some festive additions :thumbsup:

Not sure if real tree will last right up until Jan?

Tinker
26-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I absolutely love the old fashioned glass ornaments that were glittered and shiny - especially the ones that have that sort of "indent" on the side that is usually a different color. And the lights reflect so beautifully when it touches those parts. I know I didn't describe that too well... I know exactly the ones you mean Donna . They looked crinkled in the dent . I remember hot pink, royal blue, purple and green colored ones . Glass,shaped like an oval tear drop with frosted snow & glitter . I still have six angels that my grandmother put on her tree . They have little celluloid faces . So Sweet ! And I still have some of my old shiny brite balls .
I decorated the top of my kitchen cabinets with my Disney Plush Animals, but thats as far as I got . Working on some more this weekend . I do alittle at a time .
My tree will go up around the 10th to 14th of December . Jim wants a real one this year .

Deb
27-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Not sure if real tree will last right up until Jan?

Ours did last year Jeff, we just made sure it was in a holder where we could put water in, and kept it topped up all the time. The one we put outdoors didn't even look like it had been taken from the ground in January and we left it up for the chickens to play under! :D

Our local place cuts them freshly every few days which helps as they don't have time to deteriorate first by lying around without water.

Deafjeff
27-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Ours did last year Jeff, we just made sure it was in a holder where we could put water in, and kept it topped up all the time. The one we put outdoors didn't even look like it had been taken from the ground in January and we left it up for the chickens to play under! :D

Our local place cuts them freshly every few days which helps as they don't have time to deteriorate first by lying around without water.

Thanks! Won't be putting up the Christmas decorations this weekend as we are more or less snowed under.

Will do it next weekend, need to find suitable tree. Not sure if should buy from B&Q or local farm shop ho hum..........

Deb
27-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks! Won't be putting up the Christmas decorations this weekend as we are more or less snowed under.

Will do it next weekend, need to find suitable tree. Not sure if should buy from B&Q or local farm shop ho hum..........

We aren't going out for ours this weekend now either....we have had a ton of snow and even with a 4 wheel drive we're not sure it's a good idea! Might start putting the others decorations up though :yes:

Tink
27-11-2010, 11:42 AM
As a child in my parents home, our tree went up on Christmas Eve, but my Mother kept it up until the Feast of the Epiphany. It was always a fresh cut tree.

Our tree is an artificial tree. We tried a fresh cut here in Florida and it didn't do well at all. We don't have a specific time to put it up, but try to get it up before the week before Christmas. Once in a while we get it up the weekend after Thanksgiving, but won't be doing that this weekend.

With the boy here we'll make it very festive and party like... treats and hot cocoa (even though it mostly likely won't be cold).

Favorite decoration? Too hard to pick. We really do love all of our decorations, but tend to gravitate to those that are most whimsical. We have a fairy (male of course ;) ) for the top of our tree. Added him to the mix last year. We didn't want anything conventional.

We have Disney ornaments, as well as a wide variety of other ornaments and decorations. We don't use garland or tinsel, but Herself covers the tree in enough lights so that you can see our house for at least ten miles at midnight. :lol: :embarassed:

Deafjeff
27-11-2010, 08:56 PM
We are now hopeful that we would be able to buy a Christmas tree tomorrow!

Finger cross.....

Tinkfan
27-11-2010, 09:29 PM
:wave: Hi guys, We moved 6 days ago and our decorations are up and we may put up the tree tonight. We had our first real snow last night! i wante to get everything done that I could because I have chemo Friday.

keith
27-11-2010, 10:01 PM
any nice christmassy photos??????

Tinker
27-11-2010, 10:37 PM
:lol: Sister Tink on the lights .

Deafjeff
28-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Finally got nice 6ft long Christmas tree :tralala:

Can't wait!

Will show you guys the photos later when it all done!

daveann
28-11-2010, 01:40 PM
looking forward to the pics :)
hows the snow in wales jeff :)

Deafjeff
28-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Hiya,

The snow starting to melt slowly, however we had wonderful time today decorating with roaring fire outside and seeing the snow outside! :-)

As promised here are the photos!

The second picture is from the exchange! :yes:

daveann
28-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Wow Jeff your home looks amazing :)
I can see the snow through the window :)
Thanks for sharing :)

Deafjeff
28-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow Jeff your home looks amazing :)
I can see the snow through the window :)
Thanks for sharing :)

Awwwww thanks!

arkvilla
28-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Looks very Christmassy Jeff :-)

Going to do mine sometime this week - don't think we'll have snow though

Sandra

Deafjeff
28-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Looks very Christmassy Jeff :-)

Going to do mine sometime this week - don't think we'll have snow though

Sandra

Thanks!

tb2830
28-11-2010, 06:37 PM
jeff it looks beautiful and really christmassy :yes: ....mine are going up next sunday :wiggle:

keith
28-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Wow Jeff that looks amazing! looking forward to more photos!

Isafari
28-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Brilliant photos Jeff - thank you so much for sharing

catrancher
28-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Looks wonderful, Jeff! :decoratetree:

Ours is going up even as we speak. The dogs are in the way. As always!

Tom (:macwave:... now where do I put that ornament?)

Deafjeff
28-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Looks wonderful, Jeff! :decoratetree:

Ours is going up even as we speak. The dogs are in the way. As always!

Tom (:macwave:... now where do I put that ornament?)

Thank you all for such a lovely feedback!

Tell me about pets! Had four cats playing tug of war with our Christmas lights! Also dog keep stealing our ornaments!

josh.p.
28-11-2010, 10:17 PM
The tree and all the decorations look brilliant Jeff, can't wait to see everyone else's! :yes:

ukwdwnut
29-11-2010, 02:35 AM
getting ours down in the week, if i try and get up in the loft on tuesday without breaking my neck or doing myself a mischief it will be up same day and get the light on it....shame we havent got any disney decos til next visit :(

Deb
29-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow Jeff, looks totally fab!! Like a winter wonderland, and I spy a teensy tree outside! I also see my Mickey coasters on your mantlepiece!!! :D

We couldn't do ours this weekend because of the weather, but Garry has taken Wednesday off and we are doing everything then - we are both so looking forward to it! We did however pin my advent calendar to the wall, and sit in front of a roaring log fire watching Muppet Christmas Carol so started the festivities!! :D

uscwest
29-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Nice photos Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

Johnie
29-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Great photos! It feels all Christmassy.

I was worried when I didn't see the other ornament on the tree :unsure: and then I saw it on the mantle :thumbsup: