PDA

View Full Version : Soliciting opinions

catrancher
30-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I need some opinions on cameras.

As you may know, I'm a Nikon bigot. I've currently got a Nikon D70 and several lenses. I'm thinking of upgrading/sidegrading (since it may not necessarily be an upgrade) to a new D3100. The reason for this is as follows. My grandson is getting very interested in photography. However, his abilities and skills have outgrown the point and shoot type cameras. It's time for him to be getting into a DSLR. So, I'm thinking of going to the D3100 for myself, keep my supply of good lenses, and giving him my D70 for Christmas along with one of the original kit lenses. :brightidea:

I toyed with the possibility of getting him a used D70 or D70S but giving him mine and getting myself a D3100 is not that much more expensive. Maybe a couple hundred bucks. Also, if I give him my old one, I know what kind of shape it's in rather than buying a pig in a poke on eBay. :unsure:

So... advice please. What are your thoughts? What would you do? And don't say buy him a Canon cause that ain't gonna happen. :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... conflicted.)

keith
30-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Tom that's a WONDERFUL idea it truly is!

The 3100 will be a nice upgrade (yep upgrade!) for you from your 70. It's a very well specced camera and you'll be able to help your grandson with the 70 because you'll know it inside out

josh.p.
30-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I think it sounds fantastic :yes: He'll be so pleased with that!

catrancher
30-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks!

The only downside that I can think of is that with the 3100, I'm limited to AF-S glass unless I settle for manual focus. Not a terribly big deal since all my current glass except one is AF-S. However, it does somewhat limit my options for future lens purchases.

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to live with it! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... thanks again for the opinions!)

foreverducky
30-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Psst...I'm selling my D40 and 3 lens...

:D

Sounds like a nice upgrade though! I'm sure your grandson will love the D70. :yes:

keith
30-11-2010, 06:32 PM
yeah but tbh, I just dont see nikon releasing any non-afs lenses in the future so all we're talking about are older lenses

I think it's fine I really do

catrancher
30-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Psst...I'm selling my D40 and 3 lens...

I know FD, I know. :yes:

I just figured, in for a penny, in for a pound. You know?

Tom (:macwave:... once again, spouting old idioms!)

Slowhand
01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree with what`s already been said Tom.
I`m also more than happy with my D70 and just because Nikon have brought out several new models, it obviously doesn`t mean that my camera is suddenly no good!

Having said that, an upgrade would be nice however I need a darn good excuse for taking this action, just like the one you are faced with.

Go for it Tom. :thumbsup:

keith
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
The only thing I guess I'd say is that the D70 was one of the last mainstream to have CCD rather than CMOS as its sensor. CMOS tends to be less noisy particularly with high iso in dark conditions so Nikon like most others swapped.

Now the CCD has a certain look which I personally really like, CMOS has another look which is kinda different, kinda less natural in a way.

Nikon did loads of work when it adopted CMOS to make the images look as close to their trademark CCD as possible, but still, it's worth looking at images online to make sure you like it.

Slowhand
01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Keith, it was comforting to hear from the DCL photographers on the cruise we did earlier this year that they much preferred the D70 to the one they had been upgraded to...I think it was the D70S.
They said that the colour reproduction was better with the D70!

keith
01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
yep... the d70s had the same sensor as the d70 but they changed the way the images were processed and to be honest, I suspect it was to make them closer to the way cmos output the photos. Trying to keep the range similar.

They're all great cameras to be honest, there's not one in the nikon range now that I wouldn't have, but the d70 takes some beating that's for sure!

ukwdwnut
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
what a cool gesture tom, giving him your D70 :)

catrancher
01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Many thanks to all of you! :yes:

I think I'm going to go ahead. I'll miss my old D70 workhorse but I can take comfort in the fact that my grandson will at least have a decent camera to use to hone his photographic skills. Here's one thing he did that's on his Facebook photo album. This was done with a cell phone camera using his mom's and dad's wedding rings and their family bible.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs469.ash2/74210_1313535497742_1811329188_624868_3090645_n.jp g

Note the shadow of the rings. Methinks the kid needs a better camera! :eek:

Tom (:macwave:... cultivating talent!)

keith
01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
yep agreed, he's earned a better camera methinks :yes:

I just got a D7000 and I'm very impressed!

catrancher
20-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, I went ahead and got the D3100 and have wrapped up my old D70 and a couple of starter lenses for my grandson.

Initial impressions of the D3100 are good. The only thing I'm finding hard to get used to is the fact that the body is a bit smaller and lighter than my D70 was. When I was holding my D70, I had the feeling that I really had my hands on a big chunk of camera. Not so with the D3100. It just feels much smaller and lighter. I know I'll get used to it but right now, it just feels strange.

However, on the up side, I love the pictures it takes and the way it works! The bigger display on the back is wonderful. And having the shooting information displayed there big enough to read without my glasses is a delight! I never could read the LCD display on the top of my D70 without putting on my glasses. So, taking pictures was a case of glasses on to set the camera, then glasses off to compose and shoot. What a pain. In that regard, the D3100 is a delight. I also like the fact that I can also use the display on the camera for "live view" and don't have to use the viewfinder to do the composition. Useful for those times when you need to hold the camera above eye level. And since it also does video at various resolutions including 1080P, I can now get some high def video with just the one camera.

Tom (:macwave:... still playing and learning about it!)

josh.p.
20-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Well, I went ahead and got the D3100 and have wrapped up my old D70 and a couple of starter lenses for my grandson.

Initial impressions of the D3100 are good. The only thing I'm finding hard to get used to is the fact that the body is a bit smaller and lighter than my D70 was. When I was holding my D70, I had the feeling that I really had my hands on a big chunk of camera. Not so with the D3100. It just feels much smaller and lighter. I know I'll get used to it but right now, it just feels strange.

However, on the up side, I love the pictures it takes and the way it works! The bigger display on the back is wonderful. And having the shooting information displayed there big enough to read without my glasses is a delight! I never could read the LCD display on the top of my D70 without putting on my glasses. So, taking pictures was a case of glasses on to set the camera, then glasses off to compose and shoot. What a pain. In that regard, the D3100 is a delight. I also like the fact that I can also use the display on the camera for "live view" and don't have to use the viewfinder to do the composition. Useful for those times when you need to hold the camera above eye level. And since it also does video at various resolutions including 1080P, I can now get some high def video with just the one camera.

Tom (:macwave:... still playing and learning about it!)
When I upgraded my a200, I found that the lighter body was bad, but now my new camera feels just as sturdy as my last one :yes: Glad you love your new camera. Your Grandson seems very talented and will do really well with his new camera :yes:

Slowhand
21-12-2010, 02:47 PM
It`s good to hear that you aren`t disappointed with your new toy Tom.
I am in the same situation...spectacles on, read the display, spectacles off take the shot, spectacles on, view the result, spectacles on, read the display, spectacles off, re-take the shot [cos I wasn`t impressed with my first effort], spectacles on, view the result. :lol:
That`s ok unless you are trying to capture an image that is only there for a fleeting moment.

It`s good to hear that the displays are more legible than with the D70.
Looking forward to seeing some of your efforts sans spectacles! :lol: