PDA

View Full Version : PARENTS! Hardest thing you have ever had to do...

PsychoAlice
26-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Im at the point in my life. My son, 16, is going on tour with his band (he is a bass player) I am not worried about him getting into drugs or alcohol as the other memeber are straight edge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge) kids (he will be the baby and the oldest is 22) My worry is..OMG he will be in Texas and something will happen to him and I wont be able to get there fast enough...much less no sleeping for almost 3 weeks that they will be gone. But I know that I have to start letting go and letting him have his own life.

So...what has been the hardest thing of being a parent to you?

dzneeprincss
26-07-2008, 08:41 PM
The hardest thing of being a parent to me was sending my 20 year old daughter to Italy for 6 months for school. But we did it and she managed quite well even though we only contacted each other through the email and instant messenger.

PsychoAlice
26-07-2008, 08:42 PM
How did you sleep?

Grammiepo
26-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh so many things, it is what being a parent means, having your heart walk outside of your body. Leaving a five year old with her grandmother so she could go to school, while I went on the mountain with my Forest Ranger husband. Trying to make my son understand what was truly an accident, that he blamed himself for, when he was eleven.

dzneeprincss
26-07-2008, 08:58 PM
How did you sleep?

I'll be honest with you the first few weeks were hard but I spent those nights on email with her. She proved how much of an adult she was and I grew more accustomed to it. I will tell you this though when she moved back home and she was living here until she was 30 if she didn't come home at night I did not sleep. Once she moved out it became easy to sleep when I knew she wasn't coming home at nights anymore.

ukwdwnut
26-07-2008, 09:01 PM
my daughter moved up to the midlands for 3-4yrs at the age of 18 for her first job after leaving college and it was hell, and a 2-3 hour drive to get to her in an emergency :(

Dorothy
26-07-2008, 09:04 PM
One of the the hardest thing I've done has to be when Diane was in labor and I didn't know what was going on and just that there were problems. Her DH called me as often as he could and she even called me once, but told me to stay home. Then of course when it was all over she called to tell that Zach had been born and asked me why I wasn't there yet.

Since a lot of you have known me for a long time and helped me pace and wait for Zach, you know just how worried I was that day. I hated not being right there with her and I don't know how I would have gotten through it without my friends :hug2:

josh.p.
26-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm much too young to have kids so I can't comment... Luckily!

Claire
26-07-2008, 10:25 PM
One of the hardest things We've ever had to do was decide whether to move DS from our local mainstream school when we were offered a place for him at a school for Autistic children. After much soul searching and discussion we went for the special school and have never regretted it!