PDA

View Full Version : Puppy not well.

lozzy
31-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Puppy not well. update

Bella has had a tummy upset for a couple of days so I gave her chicken and rice for meal times yesterday but today she is no better and she had blood in her poop, waiting for the vet to open at 9.00 so can get her checked out. She is well in herself so I'm hoping it's nothing.

Dawn
31-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Poor puppy. Might have to starve her today to let her stomach heal. Hope she's feeling better soon.

lozzy
31-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Poor puppy. Might have to starve her today to let her stomach heal. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Do you think I should wait till tomorrow and see how she is after not feeding her today as the blood was very small amount or best have her checked.?

lozzy
31-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Just phoned the vets and they don't seem worried as she is very happy in herself running about like puppies do, she did say try and not feed her today, fingers crossed she will be ok tomorrow.

Dawn
31-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Both of ours has bad tummies when they were puppies. Trouble is a puppy will taste anything they can get hold of. 24 hours on just water and then a day on just rice sorted both of them.

foreverducky
31-12-2010, 12:08 PM
please keep us updated....hope everything is ok.

uscwest
31-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Hope the puppy is soon feeling better.

Isafari
31-12-2010, 12:42 PM
:fingers: for your puppy to be back to normal real soon

Tinkfan
01-01-2011, 11:22 AM
:wave:How is puppy today?

lozzy
01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
She still isn't 100% we are going to the vets on Tuesday for his second set of jabs so I'll get the vet to do a health check for me.

Deafjeff
02-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Let us know how you get on with the vets :comfort:

lozzy
14-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Sorry for not updating you guys about Bella.
She had her jabs on the 5th but is due some more on the 25th due to the vet being worried she had her first lot to early (7 weeks)
She has been given some ear drops as she has ear mites, which I thought she might have. I told him about her tummy prblem but he wasn't worried just said keep an eye on her and he will check her again in 3weeks.

Well the ear drops have worked and her ears are nice and clean now, but the tummy trouble hasn't gone, so yesterday I took her back to the vets for a check up, he said she is well in herself but think she may have a sensitive tummy so he has given her a special diet for a few days and then we can try normal food but we will need to buy a very plain food for her.
I have been looking online and found a few places that sell puppy food for sensitive tummys, so fingers crossed she will be ok once we get her food under control.

Oh and she is now teething so that isn't going to help.

Deb
14-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Glad to hear she is mostly doing good Lozzy :)

My Basil (who is now 21 months) also had a very sensitive tummy when he was little, and was quite poorly with it. We had to try a few types of food before finding something that worked. He eventually settled on James Wellbeloved Lamb & Rice - even nowadays if we change it to a different flavour his tummy is affected, though he is a lot better and get eat a wider variety of foodstuff. You can get this and some others at Pets at Home if you have one close by. We also found that feeding him smaller meals more often during the day helped too so his tummy wasn't having to digest too much at one time. Oh, and we learned the hard way that feeding normal treats can undo the hard work!

Oh....teething :unsure: Lock all of your furniture away, lol!!!

lozzy
14-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Glad to hear your puppy has improved with time, lets hope Bella does the same.
I have been looking that that food for her so I might give it a try.
Oh and yes I found out this morning that maybe her treats need to change, she was fine this morning and then when I got home she wasn't:thumbsdown: and I had given her a treat like I do every morning when I have to leave her to take the kids to school.
I'll have to find something more natural to give her as we use treats bit to train her.

foreverducky
14-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I hope you are able to find the right food and treats.

Arthur was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Disorder (IBD) and now has to eat special food and treats. His food is venison and potato.

Good to hear that ears are good as gold!

josh.p.
14-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear she is still having trouble, hopefully it gets sorted for you as having a poorly puppy is no fun :hug2:

malcolm
14-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Barney recently had dodgy tum so did the rice and chicken also scrambled egg is a good help if pup should have the runs

Deafjeff
15-01-2011, 09:54 AM
It is worth looking into Burns dog food... (Healthy, natural pet food for dogs, cats and rabbits | Burns Pet Nutrition (http://burnspet.co.uk/))

lozzy
20-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Bella is doing much better now, no more tummy problems.
we are now at the point where we are going to slowly change from the food the vet gave her onto a normal food but one that will be ok for her tummy, we have taken her of the wet food and she just has dry, she loves her food alot and get really excited at meals times.

Here is a up to date photo of her..

7429.vB

josh.p.
20-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Try something with a large amount of meat protein and little to no grains. Meat protein is what dogs are 'programmed' to eat and sometimes their stomachs don't cope with grains very well.

uscwest
20-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Glad to hear that Bella is doing better. Great picture.

foreverducky
20-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Pretty!

Arthur loves his wet food...in fact he was woofing it down too quickly, so now I spread it out on a plate.

Mari
21-01-2011, 01:48 AM
She is so cute!!

Our dogs used to have lots of upset tummies, allergies and even UTIs. We tried several dog food brands: eukanuba, pro plan, science diet, you name it!

Finally, we put them on good old rice/oatmeal and whatever grain is available and meat/poultry and
Veggies....

Super happy, healthy dogs ever since!