PDA

View Full Version : iPhone in Orlando

josh.p.
08-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm probably going to seem a bit mad, but I want to take my iPhone to Orlando with me in order to use the net, update my facebook etc and generally stay in touch with family through the internet. Obviously I'm going to leave my UK Sim card at home to avoid roaming costs.

I know there are various companies that sell Sims but I'm wondering if I would be best getting a 30-day rolling US contract that included data? All of the companies I've looked at so far offer good value calls and texts and give you a USA number but mention nothing about data :unsure:

Josh
P.S Ideally I'd like a microsim but I will attempt at cutting a normal sim down to iPhone 4 size.

keith
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
If you find one let me know :/

I was totally unable to find one and when I asked in a few shops, I was told that even if I DID find one with data, they'd only work with the phone with which they were bought. I even phoned at&t and asked, they said yep, if you put the sim in another phone, it'll be deactivated.

Now.... I suspect that's just rubbish and lies but I didn't test the theory.

I did hear that virgin may be doing something but couldnt see it on their site.

Strangely enough, they DO do usb data dongles.

One thing I pondered was buying a "mifi" device. That's one that comes with a US sim and data plan but sits in your pocket and turns it into a wifi signal. So then your phone/ipad etc can use it via wifi but of course doesnt help with texts.

Perhaps the situation has changed for the better since I last looked though

josh.p.
08-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah I usually google before asking questions and I have done tons of googling and have only ever found call/text packages which to be fair are really good value, but not what I want as I want data mainly so it doesn't look like they have moved on much since you looked into it.

I was looking forward to posting on facebook and mouse on the move to let everyone know what I was up to! :sigh:

josh.p.
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
The only one I can find is $1.25 per 100kb. Not sure if that is good value for money :unsure:

keith
08-01-2011, 07:37 PM
The only one I can find is $1.25 per 100kb. Not sure if that is good value for money :unsure:

mega expensive :/ which one is it?

josh.p.
08-01-2011, 09:23 PM
'go sim' it's called. I just noticed that it's 1.25 for 100kb :thud: I read it as dollars but it's in GBP. :thud:

keith
08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
'go sim' it's called. I just noticed that it's 1.25 for 100kb :thud: I read it as dollars but it's in GBP. :thud:

that'd be like a fiver every time you put on a facebook update :lol:

keith
08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
hmm Prepaid Cell Phone Service and Pay as You Go | Virgin Mobile (http://www.virginmobileusa.com)

josh.p.
09-01-2011, 02:13 AM
With their 'paylo' plan, you get 10mb of data, 1500 minutes and 500 messages for $30 a month. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Deafjeff
09-01-2011, 11:26 AM
oh boy! I am getting so excited for you!!!

keith
09-01-2011, 12:23 PM
With their 'paylo' plan, you get 10mb of data, 1500 minutes and 500 messages for $30 a month. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

In a way for me it's a shame that they don't do a plan with 30mins but LOADS of data because that's what I'd really like. 10MB really isn't very much at all for a month :/ it's $1.50 per MB after that I think

It's the best I've found so far though. Could do with asking them if it's ok to just plonk the SIM in an iphone though.

josh.p.
09-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Virgin in the US don't use SIMs apparently. At&t or tmobile USA use sims. I'll have to look at their plans but I heard at&t were awful!

keith
09-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Virgin in the US don't use SIMs apparently. At&t or tmobile USA use sims. I'll have to look at their plans but I heard at&t were awful!

:( doh! see what I mean, it's just SO hard out there to get anything sensible. There's a huge gap in the market for someone to just offer a sim only, pay as you go data plan

josh.p.
09-01-2011, 09:52 PM
I toyed with the idea of getting an iPad sim card and just hoping they didn't block it or anything but I doubt I'll do that now.

keith
09-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I toyed with the idea of getting an iPad sim card and just hoping they didn't block it or anything but I doubt I'll do that now.

if that worked it would be cool but I think a) it may need a US credit card and b) yeah, could so easily be blocked if it were put into an iphone

Dunno though, interesting one to research

josh.p.
09-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I get a US bankcard from Suntrust when I get out there :) oh and I'll have a social security number

keith
09-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I get a US bankcard from Suntrust when I get out there :) oh and I'll have a social security number

There's also prepaid visa/mastercard so that may not be such a huge problem.

Its mad that we can't find an easy deal though isnt it?

You'd have thought it'd be like Sim card, 100MB, 100 mins, 100 text, $30 prepay

keith
09-01-2011, 10:05 PM
SIM Unlocked iPhone OS4.1 now work on AT&T new GoPhone data plan | The Thinking Stick (http://www.thethinkingstick.com/sim-unlocked-iphone-os4-1-now-work-on-att-new-gophone-plan)

could be interesting

Britchick
09-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Don't want to rain on your parade Josh but you may have problems with the credit rating, we had lots of problems when we moved out there , although that was 10 years ago so hopefully things have improved.

josh.p.
10-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Keith you are a mind reader, someone just tweeted this to me and I was about to post it here!

josh.p.
10-01-2011, 01:54 AM
Also.. Keith, am I imagining things or is it now free to unlock your iPhone if you're on pay monthly?

keith
10-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Also.. Keith, am I imagining things or is it now free to unlock your iPhone if you're on pay monthly?

sure is :yes:

josh.p.
17-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Still haven't found out anything on the SIM card front but have found a top-up card in wal-mart for $45 for unlimited calls texts and data

keith
17-01-2011, 10:01 PM
that att thing we found no good?

josh.p.
17-01-2011, 10:04 PM
It is fine Keith but getting to ATT in my first few days out there is going to be quite difficult as you start training the morning after you arrive and I want a phone ASAP. I might find an AT&T sim on eBay and sort it before I go.

keith
17-01-2011, 10:09 PM
It is fine Keith but getting to ATT in my first few days out there is going to be quite difficult as you start training the morning after you arrive and I want a phone ASAP. I might find an AT&T sim on eBay and sort it before I go.

I doubt you'll find better unless they bring something out between now and then. You may have to manage without for a day *shock* :lol:

josh.p.
17-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I doubt you'll find better unless they bring something out between now and then. You may have to manage without for a day *shock* :lol:
It would be more like a week though :thud: If they are on eBay at the right price I'll just get it before I go, one less thing for me to worry about as I have a list as long as my arm.

keith
17-01-2011, 10:18 PM
It would be more like a week though :thud: If they are on eBay at the right price I'll just get it before I go, one less thing for me to worry about as I have a list as long as my arm.

well thats true enough, the more you can do before getting there the better :yes: but they cant be training you 24*7, I bet you could get an at&t sim from somewhere in the evening or even the night at the mall etc

josh.p.
17-01-2011, 11:58 PM
well thats true enough, the more you can do before getting there the better :yes: but they cant be training you 24*7, I bet you could get an at&t sim from somewhere in the evening or even the night at the mall etc
There would be so much other stuff to think about at that time though that I would probably not have the time to look for the best deal :unsure: I will look into it closer to the time as even in the space of a week AT&T have changed their plans! :slap:

keith
24-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Did you ever sort anything out Josh??

josh.p.
24-04-2011, 10:36 AM
nope :sigh: The only reasonable solution seems to be to buy a wireless router whilst out there, use my iPhone when I have wifi and just have a cheap phone for calls and texts! :(

jojo
24-04-2011, 01:14 PM
How about this tobile 4g mobile hotspot

prepaid so just top up and you can connect up to 5 devices to it via wifi?

Unsupported Browser (http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?class=prepaid&cell-phone=T-Mobile-4G-Mobile-Hotspot-Prepaid)

keith
24-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Im probably going to give one of these a try... either tmobile or the verizon one depending which I can find.

I'll keep it in my pocket and hopefully that'll mean i'll be able to receive/send texts on my normal UK number, receive emergency calls from uk to my normal number if need be. I'll turn off data roaming on the iphone and connect to that device using wifi

In theory it should work out ok

josh.p.
24-04-2011, 02:57 PM
It would be good if you just wanted to do a few texts home, but I'm gonna be texting fellow CMs in the states, too. AT&T Go Plan seems to be the cheapest but still not great for data

keith
24-04-2011, 03:01 PM
It would be good if you just wanted to do a few texts home, but I'm gonna be texting fellow CMs in the states, too. AT&T Go Plan seems to be the cheapest but still not great for data

yep my use (if I can manage it somehow) would be mostly data so something like that would be pretty much ideal.

The ATT go plan would be ok IF they don't block your sim because they detect it's an iphone. Why they do this is beyond me but they clearly do.

josh.p.
24-04-2011, 03:05 PM
A guy on eBay is claiming you can activate them through iTunes to work on an iPhone. He has tons of feedback saying the same, too. I am going to drop them an email.

keith
24-04-2011, 03:10 PM
A guy on eBay is claiming you can activate them through iTunes to work on an iPhone. He has tons of feedback saying the same, too. I am going to drop them an email.

yeah I've seen about 50/50 people saying it does work v it doesnt. Some people get it working only for it to stop the day later and at&t when phoned, say it's not allowed on an iphone.

I still think it's worth a shot though! do you have an ebay link for the sims?

josh.p.
24-04-2011, 03:33 PM
AT&T Go Phone Prepaid Micro Sim Card iPad 3G iPhone 4 | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AT-T-Go-Phone-Prepaid-Micro-Sim-Card-iPad-3G-iPhone-4-/180646319356?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2a0f5c14fc)