PDA

View Full Version : convince me to drive?

Cinderella94
25-01-2011, 10:40 AM
none of us have ever driven in another country and we're really worried about it. We do get a car with our package but the closer it gets the more we think we dont want it.

How bad is it really?

simonwebb74
25-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I found driving in Florida to be far easier than in the UK. It is far more relaxed, the roads are generally wider and there just isnt as much traffic (compared to the M25)

mmouse
25-01-2011, 11:14 AM
what about the navigation Simon do you use a gps? I've heard that getting out of the airport can be tricky

simonwebb74
25-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I used GPS last time, but it really was for lazyness sake. Getting out of Orlando International is fine as long as you know beforehand if you want the North or South exit.

robertcraig
25-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I find driving in florida is easy the first time can be quite stressful especialy if you arrive in the dark. Most hire firms offer GPS

simonwebb74
25-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Just watch out for the rental charges for Sat Navs!

If you already have a Tom Tom etc, it may be cheaper to buy the South East USA map and take your own device with you.

This is what I did last time. The added benefit, of course, is that I can take it back with me this time.

arkvilla
25-01-2011, 01:29 PM
It's very easy to drive in Florida, the roads are big and I've never seen any road rage.

We have our own satnav and give our guests very easy instructions on how to get to the villa and they always get there ok.

If you're not getting a satnav, then make sure you plan your route before you leave the UK, just e-mail your hotel and ask them for directions from the airport - Im sure they must do this often.

Sandra

lisaw
25-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I have always driven in Florida and wouldn't have it any other way, would hate to be tied to public transport/taxis. Finding your way around is pretty straightforward, we have never used Sat Navs as they didn't have them in our early years of going over there and now we pretty much know our way around anyway, but if it was my first time driving over there now I would probably take one from here with me.
Driving itself is so much easier - nice big automatic cars, big lanes on the roads and massive parking spaces! :lol:

arkvilla
25-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I have always driven in Florida and wouldn't have it any other way, would hate to be tied to public transport/taxis. Finding your way around is pretty straightforward, we have never used Sat Navs as they didn't have them in our early years of going over there and now we pretty much know our way around anyway, but if it was my first time driving over there now I would probably take one from here with me.
Driving itself is so much easier - nice big automatic cars, big lanes on the roads and massive parking spaces! :lol:

Well said Lisa :-) Totally agree, it's much better than here

Sandra

Slowhand
25-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I also agree with what others have said. :yes:

I recall being very nervous about driving "over there" when I first did it, however it has now become second nature and nowadays I don`t even feel as though I am driving on the "wrong" side of the road. :lol:

Having a car sure gives you more freedom and you are able to dine outside WDW without resorting to cabs and save a fortune on the cost of your meals too. :thumbsup:

lisaw
25-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Also I have driven in France a lot so in comparision Florida is a doddle! :lol: