PDA

View Full Version : how do you store your photos?

luvthemansion
04-02-2011, 11:02 AM
When you take loads of photos at disney or anywhere else really, how do you store them on your hard disk. Do you just label folders or do you have some program or way of doing it?

Im just looking through our last year of folders and its a bit of a mess :lol:

josh.p.
04-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I use iPhoto, it's only available on mac however I'd honestly say it's worth getting one JUST for iPhoto :rotfl: You can organise pictures by events, names, places, dates and edit them etc all in the one program.

catrancher
04-02-2011, 12:14 PM
:yeahthat:

What Josh said about iPhoto and the Mac. You can also assign all kinds of keyword tags to photos, locations so they show up on a map, all kinds of things. Oh, it also recognizes faces now so if you only want to see pictures of specific people, it's easy to do.

Tom (:macwave:... smile for the iPhoto!)

Skywatcher
04-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Sorry to be boring but I utterly agree with the above - its also a great little tool for just 'tweaking' you pics as well - most of the time I don't need to export to PSE as I can do some very basic levels, highlight etc in iPhoto - it keeps everything nice and neat and easy to find. Places and faces are great - although often funny when it gives someone the wrong name :evil:
Of course its also very very easy to make your cards/photobooks as well , and the ones I have done have ben absolutely superb quality when they have come. Sad as it sounds I echo Josh's statement - iPhoto and iMovie are reason enough to get a mac !

Soo much better than having them in impossibly names files in ' my documents' as I had them for years and years

ukwdwnut
04-02-2011, 02:29 PM
firstly i name the folder by year, easier to fine then what the photos are of so mine are 2008 Florida Holiday. then subfolders for each park or area they were taken. last trip i took nigh on 2000 pix so just having them in one folder would be an absolute nightmare to find. this way works for me :yes: :)

Slowhand
04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Another way to store photos is by using Picasa.
It`s a free download and also enables you to "tweak" your photos to some extent. :thumbsup:

JStrickPhoto
18-02-2011, 12:13 AM
firstly i name the folder by year, easier to fine then what the photos are of so mine are 2008 Florida Holiday. then subfolders for each park or area they were taken. last trip i took nigh on 2000 pix so just having them in one folder would be an absolute nightmare to find. this way works for me :yes: :)

That's similar to my structure.

First, I ONLY shoot RAW. The second card in my camera takes a simultaneous JPG for easy upload later.

I create a YEAR folder. Within that, I create a subject folder: "DisneyGetaway2011", for example. Then inside that, there's a RAW folder and a JPG folder.

Once I'm done with edits, the RAW folder and any PSD files get copied to my external drives (that's right, drives). You need backups. Redundant backup is the only safe way to go. These drives stay in my large gun safe. I don't own guns, but all my camera gear is secured in the gun safe I customized :-)

At the end of the year, all the YEAR's subject matter then is copied to my other pair of drives. These drives are in safe deposit boxes at my bank.

Might seem like a lot of work, but when you shoot 300-400GB a year, you have to protect your investment!

Jamie