PDA

View Full Version : whats more important, a college degree or experience?

luvthemansion
02-04-2011, 11:15 AM
What do you think is worth more, a college degree or experience these days?

Im looking for jobs and theyre all saying they want a degree even if its not in the same subject as the job is! Whats the point of that? :(

I always thought it would be better to get a bit of experience rather than a useless bit of paper but it seems not these days :(

Is there any way to convince a company that says you have to have a degree to interview you anyway or am I fighting a lost cause and I should just waste some years doing a degree :(

uscwest
02-04-2011, 11:45 AM
First off don't look at them as wasted years. A bit of knowledge won't ever hurt. I don't know if you are in the UK or the US but generally folks with degrees earn more money, even if, as you say, it is not necessarily in the same field in which you work. I know I kept putting off getting mine but finally buckled down and did it and then went right on and got a Master's Degree. I have been in IT for 43 years. My degrees are in Business Management and Systems Management. Although I think I am still underpaid I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

josh.p.
02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
This is the ultimate dilemma facing most students in the UK now-a-days! We've apparently got a record low rate of students with jobs upon graduation, however if you want a job in anything other than retail it seems now-a-days you need a degree AND experience!

It really is catch-22 :shrug:

Deafjeff
02-04-2011, 05:25 PM
I remember my old lecture who gave us an advice on our first day and it is one of the best advice I ever had (I use the same advice when I am lecturing at the University..)

If you leave the University with just a Degree, it is a waste of three years.....

ukwdwnut
02-04-2011, 07:13 PM
when i worked in stock brokers and money houses in canary wharf in london installing the new pc systems and trade floors a few of us tried to get jobs but all the banks want is degrees, the IT manager said he would recruit by experience only if it were up to him :)

chief
02-04-2011, 07:56 PM
would it be pooisble to get a job lower down the ladder and work your way up or does that not really happen??? i suppose if you can get a degree in whatever your chosen field is then go for it?? but will it cost you??? its a really hard choice i think. its not the best time for students or people at work, hope you find the right path?