PDA

View Full Version : CRB checks

lozzy
07-02-2011, 12:46 PM
What do you think about schools doing CRB checks on parents that help within the school or going on school trips?
Our school has done it for many years but we found out today they aren't doing this anymore, it has alarmed a number of parents as we do have parents for all different reason that we don't feel should be able to take part in some activites.

keith
07-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I think it's a good idea to CRB check anyone who's going to spend protracted amounts of time with children. Of course if they pass, even if you have your reasons for not wanting them involved in certain activities, then your case is weakened. Personal opinion, the threat is overestimated massively these days and you can't check everyone kids will come in contact with but heck, if we can check those who are most in contact and it saves just one incident then we should do it.

I think what is more icky is a school conducting checks for years then suddenly and quietly stopping :/ That's completely not on in my book.

lozzy
07-02-2011, 12:58 PM
The people is question would not pass a check at this time and that is why we are very unhappy that the school isn't doing the checks and is now let's these people attend school trips.

I am going to speak with the head of the school and get her side before I take any action against getting the CRB checks back.

uscwest
07-02-2011, 04:02 PM
For those of us uninitiated on this side of the pond, what is a CRB check? I'm going to guess something to do with Criminal Records Bureau?

Deafjeff
07-02-2011, 04:06 PM
:yes: It check to make sure people are safe to work with wide range pf people etc

arkvilla
07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
I thought they had to do it by law now??? :unsure:

If not then they should do :yes:

Sandra

lozzy
07-02-2011, 04:29 PM
I thought they had to do it by law now??? :unsure:

If not then they should do :yes:

Sandra

That was my first thought but I can't find anything online that states that.

keith
07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Not for volunteers etc no, in fact the guidance, which is either chapter 3 or I THINK chapter 4 of the recommendations "Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education" even says "An excessively cautious approach to checking is not good practice or a good use of scarce resources".

I've not read the most up to date guide so my info may be a little out of date but I do recall a semi-outrage about it at the time because it was suggested that the recommendations gave establishments a get out clause.

keith
07-02-2011, 05:03 PM
found the guidance which will be useful reading for you when you argue your case..... http://education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/Final%206836-SafeGuard.Chd%20bkmk.pdf

There does seem to be some exemptions, for example
"volunteers or parents who only
accompany staff and children on one off
outings or trips that do not involve
overnight stays, or who only help at
specific one off events e.g. a sports day,
school fête, college open day"

..but other parts are more strict than I remember so you may find something useful in there. Good luck!

lozzy
07-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks Keith I will have a read, I am hoping the school will re-think this and start doing the checks. I just worry for the children and they safety.

Kate
07-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I dont think they should allow anyone just to do "one-off's" here and there, all people working with children should have crb's imo

arkvilla
07-02-2011, 06:47 PM
I dont think they should allow anyone just to do "one-off's" here and there, all people working with children should have crb's imo

I agree Kate, it just takes 'one' opportunity doesn't it

Sandra

Kate
07-02-2011, 07:32 PM
I agree Kate, it just takes 'one' opportunity doesn't it

Sandra

Exactly Sandra. When my nieces and nephews were at primary school the teacher very often used to ask my sister to help with getting the kids changed for swimming and after, i was shocked back then that they were so casual about it - i really hope it doesnt still happen now

Disfan
07-02-2011, 07:39 PM
do you not think we make too much of it these days though as someone said its the media that hypes it up and makes us think theres someone meaning harm to the kids round every corner.

I saw on the news last week schools were building huge walls round schools and even tagging children electronically. parents not allowed to take photos at school theatre and the like

Its just going too far in my own opinion

josh.p.
07-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I do think it is a little slap-dash not asking for CRB's from people helping with trips. I went back to my old high school for work experience during college and I had to do a CRB check, less than 4 months after I was there to learn!