PDA

View Full Version : breaks during the work day?

Tom Morrow
26-04-2011, 08:14 AM
does anyone know what the law is for breaks during the work day? like if I work all day on a monitor am I supposed to be able to break every so often or something?

The problem at work is that smokers go out all the time and the rest of us take up the slack. Well I've had it with that and I want to impose my rights if I have any :lol:

uscwest
26-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I can't answer for the UK, but it is generally accepted here in the US that you get 15 minutes in the AM and 15 minutes in the PM. As you say however, the smokers always seem to duck out. It is up to the supervisors to enforce the "smoke" breaks, but many of them don't.

Britchick
26-04-2011, 11:23 AM
No hard and fast rules I'm afraid but there's guidance here

Should VDU users be given breaks? ? health and safety at work (http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/vdubreaks.htm)

With regards to breaks, the rules are that you should have a break (unpaid) of at least 20 mins if you work over 6 hours. This shouldn't be taken at the start or end of the shift, should be around the middle.

Tink
28-04-2011, 06:04 AM
In our workplace (FL) it's ten minutes paid on either side of 30 minutes unpaid (for hourly wage workers).

Each workplace here is different with the exception of the requirement that if you work 5-6 hours or more you need 30 minutes of break (unpaid).