PDA

View Full Version : Do people listen to your Disney advice?

Johnie
28-04-2011, 05:27 AM
Ok so I've been to WDW a bazillion times. I've been in all sorts of weather. I like to think I know a thing or two.

My friend from AZ is going with me next month. She's 38 and has a slew of medical problems resulting from chemo and radiation a few years ago. She literally almost died last Aug. Anyway, she has listened to my advice about renting a scooter and getting a GAC.

WHY will she not listen to me regarding the humidity and clothing?? She's from AZ, she knows straight up heat. She thinks Orlando is going to be similar to San Diego. I doubt it. I went to L.A. in Aug and it was perfect! She also thinks since she's been to the mountains in WV that she knows humidity. No, the mountains are not nearly as humid.

I want this to be a great trip but I just can't seem to get this weather and clothing thing across. Any suggestions?

Tink
28-04-2011, 05:47 AM
AZ heat is one hundred percent different than Orlando heat. AZ heat will suck every bit of moisture out of your body and if you are unlucky like me, leave you with bronchitis.

Orlando heat, if you are not used to the humidity of the heat index will leave you nauseated, limp, exhausted and cranky as all get out. Not to forget soaking wet and smelly too.

Tell her that, huh? ;)

Shellyamc
28-04-2011, 06:01 AM
I listen to your Disney advice :D

I don't say too much anymore since Dh has a few Disney loud mouths in his department :slap:, but I do hate it when you have that one little piece of advice that you really want the person to take and they just blow it off.

foreverducky
28-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Having lived in the desert of CA and the swamps of FL, I can definitely agree...the weather is completely different. I'd take dry heat any day of the year over the wet, thick, exhausting heat of FL.

All you can do is warn...if she doesn't listen, well, that's too bad.

josh.p.
28-04-2011, 01:05 PM
The only way I can explain the heat in Orlando is almost like being in the room with a hot shower running. If you get really out of breath for whatever reason it's hard to catch your breath because the air feels so wet.

My Mum had to buy a different brand of make up out there as the humid air was making it run!

Johnie
28-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks. I will try to explain humidity again. She seems to think her hair will be smooth? Ummm no.

I'm just really worried about her getting sick.

Shellyamc
28-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Smooth - ha! Tell her all the little stories and just hope it sinks in.

Dh always says that going outside in humid weather is like stepping into a marshmallow. Can't breath, can't move..yuck!

Britchick
28-04-2011, 03:00 PM
i don't give advice any more............i smirk inside! lol

lisaw
28-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Me too - and I dare anyone to come back complaining to me that they have lived on burgers from the resort foodcourt for two weeks! :lol:

mainecoon lover
28-04-2011, 03:50 PM

I do this as well ;)

Poohtle
28-04-2011, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't try anymore, just enjoy it when she moans after her trip!!

Johnie
28-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Normally I wouldn't be worried and I'd just let her learn for herself.
But she has congestive heart failure, she's on oxygen and there is a whole host of other health problems.

Shellyamc
28-04-2011, 07:28 PM
You are doing the best you can. You give her the info and try to point her in the right direction, but when all is said and done, she gets to make her own choice. You just pray the trip doesn't end early in the hospital :sigh:

foreverducky
28-04-2011, 11:06 PM
To me it's like breathing peanut butter.

Johnie
28-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I explained humidity to her years ago. Take one of those large Army blankets, soak it in hot water and then wrap it around you. That's humidity.

Tinkfan
29-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Normally I wouldn't be worried and I'd just let her learn for herself.
But she has congestive heart failure, she's on oxygen and there is a whole host of other health problems.

My advise would be to not hit the parks until the sun went down, or at least go in at dinner time. Even with a scooter she will be exhausted. My friend just passed away from the same type of cancer that I have. I was going to ask you Johnnie about Disney in May. What is a GAC? And is there any better month in the summer to go? I realise that I may not have as much time as I had hoped and want to get Tyler there one more time.

Johnie
29-04-2011, 08:32 PM
The GAC is the Guest Assistance Pass. You go to Guest Relations at one of the parks and tell them what accomodations you need.

May has typically not been very humid. I say that and I'll jinx our trip. For summer, I'd go in August. Yes, it's going to be hot and humid but the crowds will be smaller. I'd also plan my big meal of the day in the late afternoon b/c that's normally when it storms. Free dining is being offered for Disney Visa holders right now during that time. I daresay an offer for free dining for the gen pop will be soon. (Free dining is until Sept 24th). I am actually going Sept 23rd to Oct 2nd if you'd like to go then :yes: