PDA

View Full Version : can we take tea bags into the US?

Tom Morrow
14-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Anyone know if it's allowed to take tea or tea bags into the states or is it part of the restrictions on food products that arent allowed?

How about sweets and chocolates?

Wendy
14-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Anyone know if it's allowed to take tea or tea bags into the states or is it part of the restrictions on food products that aren't allowed?

How about sweets and chocolates?

We've always taken tea with us, but last year we were actually asked at Customs if we had tea :unsure: We've been asked the usual, dairy, vegetables, chocolate etc but never tea before. I had actually forgotten it so I was able to say no, but I don't know what they would have said if I'd answered yes.

Having said all this, I'm a tad confused as I've just looked at the US Embassy UK site and it states the following:-

What kind of food products can I bring to the U.S.?

Food, Plant, and Animal Products

General List of Approved Products

This list covers products from all areas except Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Bamboo - dried poles only
Beads made of seeds - (but not jequirity beans)
Breads, cakes, cookies, and other bakery goods
Candies, confectionery, chocolates
Cheeses - fully cured hard cheese only
Coconuts - (but husks or milk must be removed)
Coffee - roasted beans only
Dried foods - including polished rice, beans, and tea
Fish
Flower bulbs (note 1)
Flowers (note 1)
Fruits - canned or dried products only
Herbarium plants - (but not witchweed)
Herbs - dried, for medicinal use
Mushrooms
Nuts - (but not chestnuts or acorns or nuts with outer husks)
Sauces - canned or processed
Seaweed
Seeds - (but not avocado, bamboo, barberry, coconuts, corn, cotton, currant, elm, hibiscus, lentil, mahonia, mango, pearl millet, potato, rice, sorghum, and wheat)
Shamrocks - without root or soil
Soup and soup mixes - (but not those containing meat)
Spices - dried (but not curry leaves)
Straw animals, hats, baskets, and other souvenirs - (but not items stuffed with straw)
Vegetables - canned or processed

Remember the three basic rules: No Fresh Vegetables, No Fresh Dairy, and No Meat Products including OXON cubes.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you as much as it has me :lol: :lol:

Esmeralda
14-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Don't worry you can the usual UK foods in an aisle at WalMarts, they have a section that has tea and coffee and salad cream, ketchup etc etc etc. You will be fine.

Wendy
14-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Don't worry you can the usual UK foods in an aisle at WalMarts, they have a section that has tea and coffee and salad cream, ketchup etc etc etc. You will be fine.

Yep, it's what we do :yes: it's the same in Target and Publix - have you noticed that it's in the ethnic section, it always ,makes me smile :) Oh and one good thing for me is that it's the only time during the whole year that I get away from Marmite because DH says it doesn't taste the same :wiggle:

arkvilla
14-05-2011, 03:30 PM
I take tea bags every year and if I'm going for more than 3 weeks I also take some mature cheddar ( it says hard cheese is allowed) - I know I'm a saddo but the cheese just isn't the same.

Sandra

malcolm
15-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I know I'm a saddo but the cheese just isn't the same.

Sandra

Here here..... Its horrid like their chocolate taste to us. I always take bars of Galaxy out there and shortbread as ex-pats i know out there just love it when we bring goodies out as often they are 3 times price we pay here.