View Full Version : do i need a special driving license to drive in us

01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi, I have a normal uk driving license, do I need to get anything special to drivein the us?

are there any tests or anything else?

how about a guide to how to drive over there?

01-08-2008, 02:28 PM
no you dont just take your uk license [both parts] and thats it :)

01-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi... i go out twice a year and always take both parts but to date have never been asked for the paper part only the photo part.

As for driving out there it is easy but you just need to watch out for driving on the other side!!

Always stop at a give way or stop sign no matter if you cant see another vehicle for miles...that is stop not slow down to a crawl and look to see its clear.

If a school bus stops and puts out its red stop sign and has the orange lights flashing then you must stop no matter which side of the road the bus is on.

If a Police Fire or Ambulance is on the side of the road and has its blue/red lights on then you must move to the other side of the road (as in give it a wide bearth) if its clear to do so.

If you come up to a traffic light on red and you want to turn right then as long as there is no sign on the traffic light saying "NO TURN ON RED" and the road is clear then you treat it as give way.

Always adhear to spead limit as they like to use covert or unmarked cars.

You can overtake and undertake but must signal.

But it is very nice to drive out there, not rush,rush like over here...

02-08-2008, 01:05 AM
If an emergency vehicle approaches from either direction, pull as far to the right as is safe and stop until the vehicle passes. Watch for additional emergency vehicles, particularly fire department. There tend to be two or three most of the time. Be sure to signal when changing lanes! :)

If the emergency vehicle is on the opposite side of a divided highway, you don't have to pull over and stop. At least, that's the case in Arizona! :)

02-08-2008, 01:28 AM
There is also a new law in FL that requires drivers to either move over one lane or slow down to 20 MPH less than the speed limit if a police officer or emergency vehicle is on the side of the road.

02-08-2008, 02:11 AM
Emergency vehicles include the road ranger, and tow trucks. It's a good practice to move over regardless. Much safer for all concerned. :yes:

Also, if it begins to rain, you need to turn on your headlights (fully on, not just running lights) regardless of the time of day. Any time you have your wipers on, have the headlights on. :yes:

At a four way stop the person to the right of you has the right of way.

A police officer takes precendent over any traffic signal. If there is a cop directing traffic and even with a green light, the cop indicates you must stop, obey the cop. :yes:

Pedestrians, even jay walkers ALWAYS have the right of way.

02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Good luck, you can do it, I drove on the other side in the UK.