PDA

View Full Version : Teachers on strike....

jojo
27-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Ok I see the point, they're going to have to work for longer and pay more but then so are we all? Why should I support them with amazing pensions when I dont have one and I dont get their holidays or other benefits.

Im fed up and wont be supporting them this time around.

Claire
27-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Working in a school, I get to see the amazing work they put in and the dedication they have for the job. I'm lead to believe teachers stand to lose 100 a month, work longer, get less at the end? I also believe that we are lucky to live in a country that allows people to strike if they have a grievance. Look on the bright side. Striking in France is a national pastime!

josh.p.
28-06-2011, 06:22 AM
A lot of the 'time off' they get isn't actual time off. My cousin is a teacher and she does work right through the Summer holidays. :yes: She comes home from school and has a TON of homework to mark etc etc, not to mention the amount of time they spend training/retraining.

Britchick
28-06-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm going to lose around 100 a month too through pension as I'm employed by the local authority. I don't know where I stand with this one but one thing is for sure I'm sick of being a scape goat for this country's ills. I know lots of my colleagues feel the same.

Dawn
28-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Why should I support them with amazing pensions when I dont have one and I dont get their holidays or other benefits.

Because they provide us with the future of our country?

And that's not easy considering some of the material they have to work with...

jojo
28-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Because they provide us with the future of our country?

And that's not easy considering some of the material they have to work with...

no more so than all the other people working hard to earn their living in the country and I get tired of us treating them so gently.

The fact is that the country is in a mess and everyone has to make sacrifices. Even when they do pay more their scheme will still be much better than most people have so it's time to grow up and get on with the job

disnut
28-06-2011, 07:19 AM
no more so than all the other people working hard to earn their living in the country and I get tired of us treating them so gently.

The fact is that the country is in a mess and everyone has to make sacrifices. Even when they do pay more their scheme will still be much better than most people have so it's time to grow up and get on with the job

A lot of people round here feel the same way. We're all on shortened weeks, unpaid shutdowns and pay cuts. I've no wish to see the people I pay through taxes coming through without any regard for the reset of us

Wendy
28-06-2011, 08:17 AM
I support the teachers and other civil servants :yes:

The problem with this is that the press only tell one side of the story :shrug: (much the same as student fees, but that's another story) For some reason the general public think that all civil servants whether they are teachers, nurses, local authority, civil service etc will have gold plated pensions. This is rubbish, the majority of them will receive less than 6,000 a year and to get this they will have had to put in maximum service which I think is, 30 years of service.

The people that get the gold plated pensions are the MPs, the heads of departments, people like this. Ironically, the MP's pensions aren't likely to be touched :nono:

Civil servants have been told for years that the reason they don't get paid as much as someone in a similar position in the private sector is because of their pension. If the pensions are withdrawn and they have to pay more into the scheme then they should have a substantial pay rise :shrug: There has been no pay rise for 3 years and the rise before that worled out to just under 12 a month. There is now to be no payrise for the forseeable future.

Ok, I can see the point in trying to reduce the money, but that should be for new staff joining the workplace - that way they know what they are getting from the beginning, not exisitng staff.

I know someone who is 59, they are seriously thinking about retiring now, so that they don't lose their pension rights. This person has worked for the same department for 42 years, from what I understand they aren't the only one. If this happens, if people leave now because they are forced to because they will lose their pension, this will cause staff shortages across the board. There is a recruitment freeze so no new members of staff can be taken on to replace the people that have left.

I also know someone who has paid in an extra 150 each month to make up their pension to the maximum years. If this new scheme goes ahead then they will have lost the 39,600 they have paid in up to now and to add insult to injury, there is no way out of paying this amount, it has to be paid until retirement age :sigh: Ironically, if he'd have paid 150 into a private pension then that would be an annual pension of around 6,000.

I don't agree with unions, and have never agreed with striking until now. I hope that people do come out on the 30th June and I hope that a National Strike is called at some point and brings the country to a standstill. I know this isn't eveyone's opinion :sorry: but it's the way I feel :shrug:

robertcraig
28-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I am afraid all workers have to get real there is not enough money around we just have to grin and bear it we all think we are special cases

uscwest
28-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't know anything about the teachers in the UK. However, teachers here in the US are among the most woefully underpaid workers. When you consider their jobs and the responsibilities with which they are entrusted they should be making a lot more. However, most of our states are in a severe financial crunch, along with the federal government and I don't see either them or us getting much in the way of raises over the next few years. And then of course you have professional athletes, but don't even let me get started on how overpaid they are.

Dawn
28-06-2011, 02:36 PM
A teacher in the UK working outside of London will earn generally somewhere between 25k and 30k a year. And have to put up with physical and verbal abuse from children and adults, spend their weekends planning and marking, have so much paperwork they will often be in the classroom by 7am and still be working at 9pm.

Wayne Rooney gets 250k a week to kick a ball around a field.

I know who I'm supporting and I agree with everything Wendy says. The press give teachers a raw deal.:nono:

If the cuts go ahead the teacher I work with will get less out of her pension than she actually pays into it. :shrug:

Claire
28-06-2011, 03:02 PM
There is a thread running on another forum I frequent and they are slatting teachers. The majority of posters on that thread have barely set foot inside a classroom. How does that qualify them to have such a strong opinion? :unsure:

Dawn
28-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I think you need to stand alongside a teacher in a classroom to see just what a difficult job it is.

Knowing there's a decent retirement waiting is a major incentive in keeping some of our best teachers in the profession.

Wendy
28-06-2011, 03:33 PM
There is a thread running on another forum I frequent and they are slatting teachers. The majority of posters on that thread have barely set foot inside a classroom. How does that qualify them to have such a strong opinion? :unsure:

Sadly, they have nothing better to do Claire :sigh: Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but they don't actually know both sides of the story and just believe everything they see in the press.

I wonder if these same people think that it is right that the young men and women who serve their country should have to work longer for low pay and less pension as well as police officers, fire fighters, nurses, teachers, teacher support workers, the civil servants that deal with all the child benefit and family tax credits and so the list goes on :shrug:

If the cuts go ahead the teacher I work with will get less out of her pension than she actually pays into it.

:yes: it's disgusting Dawn, but all people seem to think is "so what, I'm paying their pension" they shouldn't get it :shrug:

To play the devil's advocate, another side of the coin is that a lot of pensioners that only have the state pension, get their money made up with pension credits, council tax payments etc, this is all being paid by the tax payers that are against the teachers etc pensions - are they are also against the elderly getting help to live as well :shrug:

The stupid thing in all this is that, the majority of people who are likely to have their pensions cut are the same people that would probably not be eligible to claim pension credits if their pensions were left alone. So all that is going to happen is it will be a case of the government robbing Peter to pay Paul :shrug:

Another thing is, who do you think pays the state pension - the tax payer :shrug:

Eeyorerocks
28-06-2011, 09:27 PM
I am afraid all workers have to get real there is not enough money around we just have to grin and bear it we all think we are special cases

I agree with that Robert.

Everyone wants more, no one wants to sacrifice but it's unavoidable and we're all in it together.

to go on strike so soon is crazy, What a way to care for the kids hey?

I hope the government stand tough on this one and we'll ride out whatever strikes come along. I'm behind them all the way and hope they break the strike rather than making us all have to pay for these huge benefits

Dawn
29-06-2011, 06:50 AM
It's not just teachers striking but it's just teacher that are getting all the flack. :nono:

Wendy
29-06-2011, 07:26 AM
It's not just teachers striking but it's just teacher that are getting all the flack. :nono:

I agree :yes: but the reason is that it's the teachers that will inconvenience the parents and you musn't do that :rolleyes008: which is why they always pick on the teachers :nono:

robertcraig
29-06-2011, 09:34 AM
IT is not just teachers and public service employes but everybody must realise there is not enough money to pay for the current level of pensions

Dawn
29-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Well that's fine for new entrants to the profession but for the teacher at my school who retires in 4 weeks and now could only be getting two thirds of what she had planned for it's a real smack in the face. Especially after nearly 40 years of teaching.:nono:

Wendy
29-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Well that's fine for new entrants to the profession but for the teacher at my school who retires in 4 weeks and now could only be getting two thirds of what she had planned for it's a real smack in the face. Especially after nearly 40 years of teaching.:nono:

:yes: :thumbsup: completely agree Dawn, it makes me sick that people like her are being ripped off I genuinely feel sorry for her :hug2: It's a complete joke.

I wonder if the opinion of the public would change if the Government said, ok from 2012, there will been no more state pension as it is costing us too much to keep it going :shrug: Who knows, this could be the next, after all it's costing the tax payer a fortune :shrug:

daveann
29-06-2011, 04:42 PM
it is not just teachers this is happening to its everyone half of my pension has been wiped out because of the state of the global econemy and money situations we all have to make adjustments :unsure:

sorry maybe i will just go back to reading about disney :)

Dawn
29-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Maybe we should take those 7 figure bonuses paid to the city bankers that nearly destroyed our economy and use those to top up the pension funds. :shrug:

jojo
02-07-2011, 09:57 AM
oh well it came and went and I didnt even notice :lol: