PDA

View Full Version : Time running out to see Shuttle take offs!

keith
02-08-2008, 12:42 PM
The shuttle is due to be retired in 2010 :(

From WESH news
http://www.wesh.com/news/16814384/detail.html

"NASA has decided on the target launch dates in 2009 and 2010 for the eight remaining space shuttle missions.

One flight to the Hubble space telescope, seven assembly flights to the International Space Station and two station contingency flights are planned before the shuttle retires.
Click here to find out more!

Although the dates could still change, NASA hopes to finish assembly of the station and to phase out the shuttle fleet as they move toward new launch vehicles, such as Ares and Orion.

The shuttle flights in 2009 will begin on Feb. 12 with a launch of space shuttle Discovery for a 14-day mission.

The second flight of 2009 will be on May 15 with Endeavour's 23rd mission. This is a 15-day mission with five planned spacewalks. It will be delivering six new batteries for the P6 truss, a spare drive unit for the Mobile Transporter and a spare boom assembly for the Ku-band antenna.

On July 30, 2009, will be the third flight of the year. Atlantis will set sail on its 31st flight -- an 11-day mission carrying science and storage racks to the station with three planned spacewalks.

Oct. 15 marks the fourth flight of 2009 with the Discovery's 37th mission. It will be a 15-day flight with at least three spacewalks.

Endeavour will finish up 2009 on Dec. 10 with its 24th mission that will last 11 days and have at least three spacewalks.

The shuttle flights of 2010 begin on Feb. 11 with space shuttle Atlantis' 32nd mission.

On April 8, 2010, Discovery will have its 38th mission. At least three spacewalks are planned to stage spare components outside the station.

May 31 marks the third flight of 2010 and the final flight of the manifest. Endeavour's 25th mission will carry critical spare components that will be placed on the outside of the station. The mission will last 15 days and will be the 35th to the station."

Wendy
02-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Oh that's sad, but I suppose it had to come :( In all the times we've been to Florida, we've never been there to see a launch. I'd like to have seen one :sigh;

keith
02-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh that's sad, but I suppose it had to come :( In all the times we've been to Florida, we've never been there to see a launch. I'd like to have seen one :sigh;

oh its mind blowing! The whole ground, well really your whole world just shakes all around you and you get this sense of the huge power of the thing. Never seen anything else like it

ukwdwnut
02-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm sad too and ive never seen one either, gutted, but the new ships will be more up to date I'm so looking forward to seeing those

off to look on the NASA site to see if there are any pix and launches in oct :D

luvthemouse
02-08-2008, 11:01 PM
We saw Discovery launch when we were on our honeymoon, Jan. 1993. It is an incredible thing to see in person!!! I'd love to see a launch one more time...more importantly, I'd love for the kids to see it..

BUTTERHEAD1
03-08-2008, 12:31 AM
A couple of years ago we were in Epcot and saw a bunch of people standing on the bridge looking in the sky. We had no idea what was going on so we asked and we were told that there was about to be a launch and a few seconds later you could see it way off in the distance.It was a cool unexpected experience.

Steven
03-08-2008, 12:33 AM
They better keep that May 15th launch on schedule!!!!!

Tinkerbell
03-08-2008, 08:56 AM

I hope you get to see one, it is an amazing experience :yes:

oh its mind blowing! The whole ground, well really your whole world just shakes all around you and you get this sense of the huge power of the thing. Never seen anything else like it

It really is mind blowing :yes: Totally amazing experience

I'm sad too and ive never seen one either, gutted, but the new ships will be more up to date I'm so looking forward to seeing those

off to look on the NASA site to see if there are any pix and launches in oct :D

Hope you get to see one too Mick.

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 10:23 AM
what i dont understand is why they havent said about new ships yet or even built and tested the new designs.....how are they going to feed the space station after the shuttles are retired....unless thay have but ive not seen anything at all

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 10:27 AM
bummer i miss the atlantis launch by 9 days :(

Tink
03-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Don't be too depressed Mick. You'd be surprised how often they move a launch up (or delay one). It's a real iffy proposition that they go off on the exact date at the originally scheduled time. You just might get lucky!

keith
03-08-2008, 10:41 AM
what i dont understand is why they havent said about new ships yet or even built and tested the new designs.....how are they going to feed the space station after the shuttles are retired....unless thay have but ive not seen anything at all

Well there are other craft from other countries that can deliver things to the ISS. From what I remember, it's the Ares series rocket that NASA favour as a replacement for the shuttle v Atlas V401 which the military/CIA want.

This has always been the battle. NASA v military and it's why we ended up with a compromise, and possibly compromised, shuttle design.

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 10:44 AM
i hope so, if they had one during my trip id get out to around the cocoa area no probs :)

i take it the orlando area is still good to see a launch?

Tink
03-08-2008, 10:50 AM
If you are facing east, and not in an area too blocked by tall buildings you can see the launch once it clears the horizon.

I can see it quite nicely from my house, if it's a clear day. We must be directly in line with the Cape.

A night launch is spectacular. The entire horizon lights up with a deep red glow. You just KNOW something awesome is about to happen! :yes:

Day launches are good too! :yes: You'll see the trail left by the shuttle, quite easily. :yes:

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 10:51 AM
and i miss endeavour by 10 days after i leave just my luck

did anyone watch the last shuttle when the the ISS was in a low orbit you could see the ISS being chased by the SS....i was mesmerised, i was out every night it was visible :D

ukwdwnut
03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
ok thx tink.....if the dates change, to your house it is then ;) :lol:

oh id love to see a night launch