PDA

View Full Version : car hire - what size car?

DisneyAddict
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Howdy - how do I know what size car to order? are the small ones really really tiny?

I dont want to over do it but there are just so many choices?

daveann
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM
there are only 2 of us but we dont go for compact we go for econmy at least if we can we get bigger.
we once got a compact and it was small and the engine was like a hairdryer we were so ashamed getting in it in the car lots but we did have a giggle about it :)

foreverducky
04-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I think it comes down to how many people you have in your party and how much you want to pay.

If you are just going to the resort, where it will sit for the entire trip then why pay for more. However, if you are going to utilize it more often then I would go with something comfortable for your party.

ukwdwnut
04-07-2011, 03:14 PM
definitely depends on how many in your party and how many cases you have. every car hire website will tell you how many cases a particular size car will take so id look and those for your particular party size, and case numbers :D

chief
04-07-2011, 07:00 PM
i like to be high up so its a personal choice an suv every time. although i always upgrade when im at the rental desk.

Slowhand
08-07-2011, 03:25 PM
In our case, the amount of luggage that we take [or rather the amount that my DW takes :lol:] calls for a large boot [trunk] even though there are only the 2 of us.
We therefore opt for a "Full Size 4 Door" car which swallows up the suitcases with ease and gives us a load of comfort on a day to day basis.

Wendy
09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
We always have a SUV just for the two of us :D

keith
09-07-2011, 09:45 PM
we went with Slowhand's recommendation of a Dodge Charger in May and loved it, really did :yes:

The next time we'll have the car as part of virgin holidays who I think use alamo who in turn I dont think do dodge. So we'll have to choose something different :/ maybe an suv

ukwdwnut
09-07-2011, 11:44 PM
we went with Slowhand's recommendation of a Dodge Charger in May and loved it, really did :yes:

The next time we'll have the car as part of virgin holidays who I think use alamo who in turn I dont think do dodge. So we'll have to choose something different :/ maybe an suv

are you doing a fly drive keith?...id leave the car from virgin imo. everyone says its cheaper to do a fly frive, leave their car and get your own, as they charge loads for the insurance for one :yes:

keith
09-07-2011, 11:46 PM
are you doing a fly drive keith?...id leave the car from virgin imo. everyone says its cheaper to do a fly frive, leave their car and get your own, as they charge loads for the insurance for one :yes:

It's a full holiday thing, flight, hotel, car although the car is of course the most totally basic one with naff insurance. Hence I'd have to upgrade the car + insurance to use it.

Now, looking at the upgrade prices, I reckon I'd save about 100 doing the upgrade over just renting the car elsewhere. I'll have to do a proper comparison though to make sure thats the case

ukwdwnut
09-07-2011, 11:53 PM
It's a full holiday thing, flight, hotel, car although the car is of course the most totally basic one with naff insurance. Hence I'd have to upgrade the car + insurance to use it.

Now, looking at the upgrade prices, I reckon I'd save about 100 doing the upgrade over just renting the car elsewhere. I'll have to do a proper comparison though to make sure thats the case

thats a bit different then. its just cheaper getting flight, doing an FD as im sure your aware :) glad you must be happy with the cost, ive never ever been able to get a good VH deal. always getting everything separately myself is way cheaper

Slowhand
10-07-2011, 03:02 PM

Oddly enough Keith, Dollar didn`t have any Chargers in their MCO outlet this time so we went for a Chevy Impala.
I also noticed that when over there I saw very few Chargers on the road which makes me wonder if they have stopped making them.:unsure:

keith
10-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Oddly enough Keith, Dollar didn`t have any Chargers in their MCO outlet this time so we went for a Chevy Impala.
I also noticed that when over there I saw very few Chargers on the road which makes me wonder if they have stopped making them.:unsure:

yikes :/ what was the impala like compared to the charger?

Slowhand
10-07-2011, 03:20 PM
yikes :/ what was the impala like compared to the charger?

Performance & sizewise it was on a par, if anything the boot seemed a tad larger.
It didn`t have that "aggressive" look of the Charger though!

keith
10-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Performance & sizewise it was on a par, if anything the boot seemed a tad larger.
It didn`t have that "aggressive" look of the Charger though!

yeah :/ completely know what you mean. I had a grin every time we walked back to the charger

Tink
11-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Ya'll are funny about those Chargers! LOL. Impalas are nice cars too. :yes: I like them better than Chargers, but that's mostly because I've not ever been a fan of Dodge. :sorry:

uscwest
11-07-2011, 10:19 AM
They definitely have NOT stopped making the Charger. They have redesigned it slightly but not really enough to make a difference. From time to time the rental car companies switch who they are getting their cars from. I think the Impala is slightly larger than the Charger though.

Wendy
11-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure, but I think Dollar have been moving away from Dodge because they were too expensive.

We always had a Grand Cherokee but were told the time before last that they don't have them anymore as they were going with a different supplier :unsure: Now whether this is true I don't know :shrug:

Slowhand
11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
They definitely have NOT stopped making the Charger. They have redesigned it slightly but not really enough to make a difference. From time to time the rental car companies switch who they are getting their cars from. I think the Impala is slightly larger than the Charger though.
Thanks for that John.
It was odd though as we seldom saw any Chargers on the roads over there, whereas last year it seemed as though every other car was a Charger!

linheli
10-08-2011, 08:53 AM
I think it comes down to how many people you have in your party and how much you want to pay.If you are just going to the resort, where it will sit for the entire trip then why pay for more. However, if you are going to utilize it more often then I would go with something comfortable for your party.