PDA

View Full Version : dollars or travellers cheques?

DisneyAddict
14-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Which do you take to orlando and why?

Ive always just taken dollars and used cards but friends make good points about cheques being safer. I dont want ANY hassle though :/

uscwest
14-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I guess a lot would depend on what sort of TCs you are talking about. I know that there are some that are being refused, although American Express is normally not one of them. You might be better off with a refillable debit card.

Slowhand
14-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I used to take T/C`s however nowadays I don`t bother.
I use a combination of cash for small purchases [drinks, ice creams etc. at the parks], and my cc for the majority of purchases.
Fortunately I have a US bank account so I tend to use the cc from this bank along with drawing out a few $$`s from ATMs so I don`t have to worry about the exchange rate.
Remember to carry some form of photo ID if you use T/C`s or your cc as this is sometimes asked for ....a photo driving licence will suffice rather than taking your passport.

robertcraig
14-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I used to take traveller cheques but not any more I use cash and credit card .I try to pay for as many thing online before I go

ukwdwnut
15-07-2011, 09:16 PM
defo tc's and a small amount of cash. used to take all cash then found out about tc's for the 2nd trip, still got robbed in a villa of around $2000 of tc's and cash :(

chief
16-07-2011, 09:06 AM
we took all cash last year, i was quite worrid about having that much cash on dh though. i am looking at other alternitives for next year, there is a card that you can load up and use as a credit card although its supposed to be free when using in shops resturants but im not too sure:unsure:

Kate
16-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Always travellers cheques, you can use them just like money anyway so i dont see the point of taking money! We had a photocopy of our passport with us, i did have to show it a couple of times aswell on our last trip

ukwdwnut
16-07-2011, 03:00 PM
we took all cash last year, i was quite worrid about having that much cash on dh though. i am looking at other alternitives for next year, there is a card that you can load up and use as a credit card although its supposed to be free when using in shops resturants but im not too sure:unsure:

the card your thinking of chief is called the fairfx card. you also get a higher rate than cash or tc's as well

ukwdwnut
16-07-2011, 03:01 PM
also a tip from the sheriff when we got robbed is

carry all your money with you as you are less likely to get mugged than robbed

Suebeattie
17-07-2011, 06:46 AM
We take half cash and half travellers cheques. DH doesn't like the cheques but I don't like having all that cash on us. We've never had a problem with the cheques (I think they are the Amex ones).
Not entirely convinced by those card things, it seems the are quite a few charges attached to them when either using them or loading them up.
:wiggle:

uscwest
17-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I believe that most traveler's checks, for sure American Express, will give you back your money if they are stolen. We too AE to the UK with us. However, having said that, most likely we would load up a debit card if we were to do that again.

ukwdwnut
17-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I believe that most traveler's checks, for sure American Express, will give you back your money if they are stolen. We too AE to the UK with us. However, having said that, most likely we would load up a debit card if we were to do that again.

when i had mine(amex TC's) stolen john, i called them, they told me where to go. the nearest branch is sand lake road, i gave them the serial numbers of the ones stolen and they replaced them there and then. great service imo