PDA

View Full Version : Have you swapped from petrol car to diesel?

DisneyAddict
14-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Anyone swapped from petrol to diesel? How did it go for you?

are you finding real economy and enjoying the drive as much as petrol or do you wish you hadnt !

ukwdwnut
14-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Anyone swapped from petrol to diesel? How did it go for you?

are you finding real economy and enjoying the drive as much as petrol or do you wish you hadnt !

ive always had petrol cars. the last two cars ive had have been vauxhall zafira's the first one was a 1.6 petrol which used to eat me out of house and home for fuel it seemed. the current one, a 1.9 turbo diesel and im so glad i swapped, for 2 reasons one is economy which is great and secondly the extra power :)

uscwest
14-07-2011, 10:28 AM
How do fuel prices in the UK for petrol and diesel compare? I know for the most part, here in the US, diesel prices are right up there with premium petrol.

Slowhand
14-07-2011, 01:01 PM
At one stage we were encouraged to switch to diesel and it worked out cheaper than petrol.
Nowadays there is little cost difference between the two.

arkvilla
14-07-2011, 06:41 PM
We just bought a new car and went for the diesel opion because it does more to the gallon but it's a 3 litre so still not lots to the gallon ( men and cars!!)

It is very smoothe to drive though

Sandra

keith
14-07-2011, 07:48 PM
This is the first diesel I've had and I have to admit that the low end power is impressive. It's taken a while to get used to it actually.

I do find there's a different feel to the driving and to be perfectly honest I preferred petrol.

I do get better economy out of the diesel but since diesel is now slightly more expensive than petrol, to be honest, I'm not sure the benefit is worth it.

ukwdwnut
15-07-2011, 12:08 AM
forgot to mention my last petrol which was a 1.6 i think i got about 40 on a run, in the 1.9 TDi i get 56 mpg easy at 75mph and theres only 3pence difference in the per litre cost

Claire
15-07-2011, 10:32 AM
I drive a diesel Grand Voyager with a 2.8L engine that gives me 26 mpg. Needless to say, I don't go out very often! That said, she's fab on a run to DLRP. Pulls like a train. Prior to that I had petrol cars.

arkvilla
15-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I drive a diesel Grand Voyager with a 2.8L engine that gives me 26 mpg. Needless to say, I don't go out very often! That said, she's fab on a run to DLRP. Pulls like a train. Prior to that I had petrol cars.

Gosh Claire that's not very miles to the gallon :thumbsdown:

Our car is a 3 litre ( now don't quote me on this) but I think Jai said it should do 41 miles to the gallon... but I'm not 100% as cars are not my thing, but they are very much Jai's thing so I just go with the flow :yes:

Sandra

ukwdwnut
15-07-2011, 02:57 PM

flippin eck claire you sure its not a petrol :lol: thats terrible for a diesel :(

keith
15-07-2011, 03:42 PM
flippin eck claire you sure its not a petrol :lol: thats terrible for a diesel :(

For a large 4*4 ? it's not terrible :/ it's right on par I'd have said! you'd be looking at round about or less than 20mpg petrol for a car of that size driven normally around town IMHO

I had a 7 series BMW petrol getting about 30 mpg petrol driving it carefully and I'm getting about 45mpg on the equivalent diesel which is a useful saving I admit but tbh I really did prefer the rev range of the petrol to the diesel.

Ah well, I figure the next one I get may be electric anyway so I guess it doesnt matter that much

Claire
15-07-2011, 06:59 PM
News flash! I've just checked the onboard computer and it's gone up to 26.6 mpg! Woot!

It's my fault to be honest. I only really use it for school run and trips into town. It never gets warm. The fortnightly run to Bristol airport is probably the reason behind the 0.6 rise in fuel economy. Now if I could have a little Mito for when it's just me I'd be happy.

ukwdwnut
15-07-2011, 09:26 PM
For a large 4*4 ? it's not terrible :/ it's right on par I'd have said! you'd be looking at round about or less than 20mpg petrol for a car of that size driven normally around town IMHO

I had a 7 series BMW petrol getting about 30 mpg petrol driving it carefully and I'm getting about 45mpg on the equivalent diesel which is a useful saving I admit but tbh I really did prefer the rev range of the petrol to the diesel.

Ah well, I figure the next one I get may be electric anyway so I guess it doesnt matter that much

yep its normal for one of those. extra urban is 42mpg not bad i guess. didnt think they were 4*4's tho

keith
15-07-2011, 09:45 PM
yep its normal for one of those. extra urban is 42mpg not bad i guess. didnt think they were 4*4's tho

yeah maybe not but still a decent size either way

roll on Electric that what I say :D

chief
16-07-2011, 09:03 AM
i had a diesel freelander for 3 years, i thought it was expensive to run as i only do short journeys. i did love it though but i now have a ford focus and although its petrol im not filling her up as much although thats down to size etc. i would love a range rover sport but if i could afford to buy one it would be sat in the garage and id be walking everywhere! lol:tongue: